PDA

View Full Version : "Sawing" noise during approach/landing?

EnglishMartyn
14th Mar 2019, 22:20
Coming back into Heathrow from Stuttgart last night I heard what I can only describe as a noise like someone using a manual saw during the final stages of the flight (final approach and on the ground, mostly on the ground). It's not a noise I've heard before.

One of the pilots emerged from the cockpit just as I was about to leave the plane and confirmed this was not normal.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

For information: BA919 STR-LHR, aircraft G-EUYI

S.o.S.
14th Mar 2019, 23:27
Welcome to the Cabin EnglishMartyn. The answer is contained in a thread in the Forum FAQ.

This is often called 'the barking dog' as it sounds like a dog is barking in the hold area. It is the Power Transfer Unit and 100% normal on Airbus aircraft. There are a number of places to read up about it. Usually heard on the ground just after start up and before shut down.

DaveReidUK
15th Mar 2019, 09:06
I had always associated that with the noise with hydraulic motors powering the torque tubes that drive the flap screwjacks, but perhaps I'm just showing my age. :O

EnglishMartyn
15th Mar 2019, 17:33
Welcome to the Cabin EnglishMartyn. The answer is contained in a thread in the Forum FAQ.

This is often called 'the barking dog' as it sounds like a dog is barking in the hold area. It is the Power Transfer Unit and 100% normal on Airbus aircraft. There are a number of places to read up about it. Usually heard on the ground just after start up and before shut down.
My bad, forgot to look. That sounds plausible, thank you.

S.o.S.
16th Mar 2019, 01:04
No problem EnglishMartyn. The FAQ has a LOT of items and links in it, the Barking Dog puzzles many people. The noises you hear depend not only on which type of aircraft you are in but whereabouts you are seated.
Do stay and ask questions and join in.

EnglishMartyn
16th Mar 2019, 10:29
No problem EnglishMartyn. The FAQ has a LOT of items and links in it, the Barking Dog puzzles many people. The noises you hear depend not only on which type of aircraft you are in but whereabouts you are seated.
Do stay and ask questions and join in.
Thanks!! :)

If it's relevant, I was sat in 18A (slightly behind the wing). The noise seemed to be coming from some way in front of where I was sat, but on the other side. My travelling colleague didn't hear it (or tuned it out) and she was in the seat directly behind me.