PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos in Korea?

Dr Jekyll
13th Mar 2019, 22:33
I was at a presentation by the 'People's Mosquito' group and the speaker mentioned evidence of reconnaissance Mosquitos operating in the Korean war. Unless I misheard, these were apparently RAF machines. As I understood it the only direct RAF involvement in the Korean war was in the form of Sunderland flying boats. Could there have been Mosquitos involved or is it possible they were in the far east for some other reason?

megan
14th Mar 2019, 02:14
Link here says time of the Mosquito's presence is indeterminate, could have been towards the end of the shooting, or shortly after. As it's a PR might it have been doing recon over Korea?

A rare bird at Iwakuni - Part 1 - The People's Mosquito (http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2016/08/01/a-rare-bird-at-iwakuni-part-1/)

gileraguy
14th Mar 2019, 02:16
Several RAF pilots flew with 77 Squadron RAAF in Korea.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/9781741755008_5680cc72ca1103ae168bf099e35b74c4b85fa13c.jpg

Quemerford
14th Mar 2019, 06:39
'Mosquito' is a term used for aircraft flown by the USAF 6147th Tactical Air Control Group (T-6s mainly I recall), operating as forward air controllers. The first MiG-15 sighting in Korea was by one of these 'Mosquito' T-6s, and at least one documentary erroneously portrayed that incident with footage of a DH Mosquito.

I think that documentary (and the use of 'Mosquitos' in Korea) is where this confusion began.

By the way there was a lot of direct RAF involvement in Korea - aircrew saw first-line service in F-84s and F-86s for example.

Dr Jekyll
14th Mar 2019, 08:06
'Mosquito' is a term used for aircraft flown by the USAF 6147th Tactical Air Control Group (T-6s mainly I recall), operating as forward air controllers. The first MiG-15 sighting in Korea was by one of these 'Mosquito' T-6s, and at least one documentary erroneously portrayed that incident with footage of a DH Mosquito.

I think that documentary (and the use of 'Mosquitos' in Korea) is where this confusion began.

By the way there was a lot of direct RAF involvement in Korea - aircrew saw first-line service in F-84s and F-86s for example.

Yes, I was using the word 'direct' to distinguish between RAF operations and RAF personnel on duty with RAAF, FAA, USAF etc.

Brewster Buffalo
14th Mar 2019, 20:10
...................By the way there was a lot of direct RAF involvement in Korea - aircrew saw first-line service in F-84s and F-86s for example.

But strangely no RAF combat aircraft took part in the Korean.. This has been discussed on another forum -

....not a single front line fighter or fighter-bomber squadron was sent by the RAF. This is almost unprecedented in the post war period with RAF combat contingents almost always being sent to support major (and many minor) overseas deployments, so why not in Korea??? Yes, the RAF sent Sunderlands to hunt for none existent Communist subs and protect UN naval forces, yes the RAF flies transport and logistical support operations to Japan and Korea and yes a small detachment of Austers are attached to the army for artillery spotting but not a single fast jet combat squadron!

Some reasons put forward....thought prudent to leave the the RAF intact in europe to deter and deal with any Soviet aggresion in Europe........still rebuilding from the war, so they could only afford to contribute so much to Korea....................RAF commitments to the Malayan counterinsurgency ..

Even so surely the RAF could spare one squadron....

megan
15th Mar 2019, 06:49
Info on the web cites the last operational combat mission by a Mosquito ended on December 21, 1955, when a PR. 34A conducted a reconnaissance mission above suspected communist strongholds hidden in the jungles of Malaya. Were Mosquito's based in Singapore? Could be any number of reasons why a Mosquito in the Far East might make a trip to Japan I guess

Krakatoa
16th Mar 2019, 06:24
More likely a pre 1950 photograph of a RAAF Mosquito.

Brian 48nav
16th Mar 2019, 16:20
Info on the web cites the last operational combat mission by a Mosquito ended on December 21, 1955, when a PR. 34A conducted a reconnaissance mission above suspected communist strongholds hidden in the jungles of Malaya. Were Mosquito's based in Singapore? Could be any number of reasons why a Mosquito in the Far East might make a trip to Japan I guess

81Sqn was the RAF's resident Far East PR/FR Sqn from 1946-1970 - it was equipped with the Mosquito PR34 from 9/46 to 12/55 - as you suppose, any number of reasons why one would be in Japan.

megan
17th Mar 2019, 02:05
More likely a pre 1950 photograph of a RAAF MosquitoAfraid not, it carries a RAF serial, not RAAF. The photos were taken by a member of the 1913 LIGHT LIAISON FLIGHT, so the question to ask is when was the period of their Korean commitment? I can find no info, other than for 1903 Independent Air Observation Post Flight, Royal Artillery, which served July 1951 – July 1953 .

Krakatoa
17th Mar 2019, 03:55
I from late 1950 to mid 53 I was in and out of Iwakuni on detachments. One of our Sunderlands carried out an SAR cover for
one maybe two Auster flights from Japan to Korea. best estimate early 51. Later I caught up with the Flight Sergeant in charge
of the Maintenance who I knew from Kai Tak..
RE .the Mosquito Photograph. After the War started British Aircraft operating in the area had the Black and White markings on the Wings. RN aircraft and the Spitfires of 80 Squadron at Kai Tak

lauriebe
17th Mar 2019, 09:26
Centre-right of the photo are two P2V Neptune aircraft. The aircraft furthest from the camera seems to carry the tailcode "BH" and the fuselage code "3". The "BH" tailcode belonged to VP-17 and that unit was located at Iwakuni from 4 Feb 53 until returning to NAS Whidbey Island on 1 August 1953.

However, according to Wiki, VP-17 did not convert to P2Vs until after its return to Whidbey Island.

More info here:

https://www.verslo.is/baldur/p2/vp17.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP-17

https://www.verslo.is/baldur/p2/vp17_ac.htm

evansb
17th Mar 2019, 19:41
Canada's Army, Navy, and Air Force contributed efforts in the Korean Conflict. A "Mosquito" link too...
An RCAF jet fighter ace in Korea? Not quite, but one Canadian pilot did indeed destroy three (3) MIG-15s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_in_the_Korean_War

GeeRam
17th Mar 2019, 19:44
Wow......PR.34a RG238 was certainly a well travelled Mossie then........as it was RG238 that made a record breaking flight from London to Cape Town in 1947....!!