PDA

View Full Version : KA NTR FO Final Interview

ghuerren
13th Mar 2019, 16:29
Hi guys. First post here, so please excuse me for any mistake...
Anyone planning to go to HK for final intervew nest march / april for the final interview (CAthay Dragon NTR First officer)?
Any clues about the sim / tech interview?
Thanks.

bacou
14th Mar 2019, 04:00
Last thing I heard about interview at KA in February is that out of 8 pilots invited nobody showed up.
If i were you I would read carefully the COS you were given on 1st stage of interview. Best advice that can be given for your future career.

mr did
14th Mar 2019, 06:37
Also heard that of the 10+ F/Os that had passed interviews and had start dates with KA in Feb, none turned up after being presented with the new COS. Yep, its that bad.

Terrain Terrain
14th Mar 2019, 08:55
Ahh, the ol’ bait and switch technique. Once a tactic only unscrupilulous electronics retailers in TST would stoop to, it’s now Ops Normal for the ‘Cathy’ group

snoop doggy dog
14th Mar 2019, 10:15
The get up is in the title...

Prepare for your next job ;)

Get the rating (NTR FO), contact the dpa (www.dpa.hk) so you're not screwed and do your interviews once you're here realising you're not paid enuf.

Prep for interview......
Brush your teeth and hair, turn up and pass the medical.

ghuerren
14th Mar 2019, 10:48
Thank you guys for all Replies. Thing I'm going and see by myself....
Regards,

kahaha
14th Mar 2019, 15:11
2 person panel interview . Probably more tech orientated that the 1st interview. “ whats a split flap”
” how does the airbus FBW system op”
” How many A320 Neo’s have we ordered “

Then a sim check. Circuit, eng fail , usual stuff .

You can hire the CAE Sim to prepare .

Are you under 30? Then you will be fine here. The rating wether A330 or A320 are good. 500 hours and pop them on your easa licence and you have so many options.

The $HK 100,000 plus a month doesn’t hurt either!
Good luck .
( ps ignore the bs artists here. The pay is still good, just not as good as it was 20 yrs ago. And you can have many local gf ;)

kahaha
14th Mar 2019, 15:13
Also heard that of the 10+ F/Os that had passed interviews and had start dates with KA in Feb, none turned up after being presented with the new COS. Yep, its that bad.

Fake news. You are presented with COS on 1st interview. If you passed , you were already aware of the pay . Stopp bull sitting

ghuerren
14th Mar 2019, 15:21
2 person panel interview . Probably more tech orientated that the 1st interview. “ whats a split flap”
” how does the airbus FBW system op”
” How many A320 Neo’s have we ordered “

Then a sim check. Circuit, eng fail , usual stuff .

You can hire the CAE Sim to prepare .

Are you under 30? Then you will be fine here. The rating whether A330 or A320 are good. 500 hours and pop them on your easa licence and you have so many options.

The $HK 100,000 plus a month doesn’t hurt either!
Good luck .
( ps ignore the bs artists here. The pay is still good, just not as good as it was 20 yrs ago. And you can have many local gf ;)
Thanks for the info!
Where does this 100k a month come from?
COS2018 would be link 825k year (on target or 70% with 65 hours month) + 18k month allowance
:(

ghuerren
14th Mar 2019, 15:23
Fake news. You are presented with COS on 1st interview. If you passed , you were already aware of the pay . Stopp bull sitting
Thats really true. They presented the COS and were pretty clear about it.

KABOY
14th Mar 2019, 15:40
The $HK 100,000 plus a month doesn’t hurt either !

hahahahahahaha! Now that is real BS, this is COS18, how many hours do I need to fly for that?

And forget the DPA, there is a trade union exclusion clause that will ensure you are on your own, no union representation for you Pedre....

Oh, that's right there is a FTL limit that stops you from earning $1000's. Damn the CAD, can I get a dispensation to operate to 1500hours per year?

drfaust
15th Mar 2019, 00:30
It’s not a contract but a policy anyway as pretty much every single clause is “at the sole discretion of the company” and “subject to change from time to time” and all the rest of it.

The point is on the “standard contract” people were happily coming in here, especially with prospect of quick commands (that’s slowed down now, because you can not upgrade first officers if you don’t have replacements). I think it is fair to say we have had 0 interest since COS18 introduction. That is for a reason.

So you go ahead and check it out, you’d be the only one pretty much.

mr did
15th Mar 2019, 02:42
Fake news. You are presented with COS on 1st interview. If you passed , you were already aware of the pay . Stop bull sitting

Fake news it is not. They interviewed before the new COS 18 but were presented with this new version just before they started. Exactly the same as the unfortunate Cadets who's plight made the SCMP. CX HR in full retard mode.

Ironically all of the advice to come here caveats getting a free rating and then leaving. Pretty much sums up the current deal

kahaha
15th Mar 2019, 13:21
I thought the basic COS package salary was around 65k then flying allowances and basic special allowance on top?
Are you guys saying its a total salary of hk$ 65k which includes all hourly duty pay, schooling ect ?

Thats a raw deal , and I take it back if I suggested $ 100k was possible with flying allowance .

bacou
16th Mar 2019, 00:03
Kahaha, the basic is 70% of previous COS, it’s closer to 50k however productivity pay is increased and if you’re not on holiday, training or sick leave and if you’re flying a lot then you will get close to 70k.
It’s a low cost contract don’t forget that TTW strategy, everything must be cheaper: medical, hotels, allowances, food: the cheaper the better !

unitedabx
16th Mar 2019, 09:55
Why not apply to Air Macau ? They will offer you a type rating which you pay for over 3 years by salary deduction BUT none of the Cathay Airline Group bulls**t.

airdualbleedfault
16th Mar 2019, 11:03
how does the Airbus fbw system work
Come on, does anyone REALLY know the answer to that question :):}

TSIO540
16th Mar 2019, 13:26
Thank you guys for all Replies. Thing I'm going and see by myself....
Regards,

Do come and have a look, but know that COS 18 salary is pitiful even compared to Standard Contract. The training is tough, fast and for me, it was the first time I really did not enjoy flying. Once on the line, it’s better.

These scary messages aren’t just for fun, they are to make sure you come with open eyes. Don’t be thinking that there will be a decent pay rise in a few years when rents have gone up so much you can’t afford it anymore.

If you just want a rating with the view to go, it might work but don’t bring a family.

Quick commands are dead too..

Priority Club
16th Mar 2019, 14:26
COS18 basic is $48k HKD/mth and no annual increments rises, just one rise to $58k after 2400 block hours in company until command.
There's an 'Allowance' of $18K rising to $22k after 2400 hours.
So monthly 'guaranteed' is $66k for the first 4 years in effect. Thats 48% less than equivalent Year 1 on Standard Contract. Productivity pay will make up for some difference, circa $20k for a full month. Overtime will be in hands of the rostering Gods.

COS18 pension company contribution is 10% down from 15% and is only payable if you contribute 5% yourself.

COS18 pilot get 4 weeks leave fewer per year.

You'll be getting paid a lot less to work harder and have less control over you contract.

If you reach the top Captain scale its almost competitive with Standard Contract but you need >7200 hours in command in company (12 years at current flying rate) to reach that..

ghuerren
18th Mar 2019, 15:41
COS18 basic is $48k HKD/mth and no annual increments rises, just one rise to $58k after 2400 block hours in company until command.
There's an 'Allowance' of $18K rising to $22k after 2400 hours.
So monthly 'guaranteed' is $66k for the first 4 years in effect. Thats 48% less than equivalent Year 1 on Standard Contract. Productivity pay will make up for some difference, circa $20k for a full month. Overtime will be in hands of the rostering Gods.

COS18 pension company contribution is 10% down from 15% and is only payable if you contribute 5% yourself.

COS18 pilot get 4 weeks leave fewer per year.

You'll be getting paid a lot less to work harder and have less control over you contract.

If you reach the top Captain scale its almost competitive with Standard Contract but you need >7200 hours in command in company (12 years at current flying rate) to reach that..
Thanks a lot man.

TheGreenDragon
20th Mar 2019, 15:08
My housing and education allowance is over 100k/ month . So either the new guys won’t have kids or their kids won’t receive the level of schooling previously paid for by the company.

Somethings gonna give .

Cx as employer has No respect . Do your due diligence.

pilotchute
20th Mar 2019, 16:31
Yes because Hong Kong has virtually no students in public schools who dont speak chinese as a first language. When you have a class of homogeneous kids you get much better results.

My high schools in the 90's had nearly 30% students who spoke English as a second language.

KABOY
20th Mar 2019, 17:01
The colonial days where you got paid obscene amounts of money for being white are over folks!

Yep precisely!

We are all local now, so unless your children can speak Cantonese, forget about a decent English education. Cantonese seems to be the way to move forward, but the mainland won't recognise that language as they speak Mandarin.

FYI, all International schools in Hong Kong now are teaching Mandarin......but COS 18 contract won't cover the entry fee.

Weary traveller
21st Mar 2019, 00:58
"And yet, surprisingly, Hong Kong, where the median household total income is about 30% of your housing/education allowance alone, has far better overall educational achievement levels than all the major countries that A-scalers came from.
The colonial days where you got paid obscene amounts of money for being white are over folks!"

You're kidding right Paul??? If you truly believe that simply getting 95% to 100% for exams is the be all of education (which is about all you're getting in the local, memory based education system) then I'd respectfully say that you're misguided. A good education (as achieved in our expatriate home countries) is a balanced, lateral thinking based education system with a healthy emphasis on sports and extra curricular activities. An institution that provides that sort of education up here costs a lot.

chris094
9th May 2019, 12:50
Hi Everyone

I will be going for the final interview on the 3rd of June, anybody going around the same time please feel free to contact me. [email protected]

Also if anybody did the interview recently I would greatly appreciate some info or tips regarding the final interview.

TSIO540
10th May 2019, 05:04
Honestly, the main hurdle will be convincing them you can survive on the terrible contract and that you have no dependents (as you won’t be able to keep them and the job, one will have to go)

Gnadenburg
10th May 2019, 05:53
Present a briefing on how you will commute from Cambodia with reliable couch surfing options in Tung Chung.

Convince the pilot interviewer, whose contract is worth five times more than yours, that your love of shiny jets outshines professional envy.

Don't lose control of a FBW aeroplane you are endorsed on in the sim- those guys not selected evidently though can reapply after 12 months.

380Mrat
8th Jan 2020, 11:26
Any one know if Cathay Dragon has an upper age limit for NTR F.O.s?

knackered IV
11th Jan 2020, 12:09
Not officially but they might ask why you're still an FO.

380Mrat
7th Feb 2020, 17:30
I think that curiosity is more to satisfy you than Cathay.They know how to read CVs! I leave the rest for you to figure out yourself!🙂

Oddball77
8th Feb 2020, 00:21
I thought KA and CX have stopped hiring for the time being?

ACMS
8th Feb 2020, 06:44
Ok, I’ll bite.....What’s NTR?

22N114E
8th Feb 2020, 09:23
Non Type Rated, perhaps?

Oddball77
9th Apr 2020, 15:27
hahahahahahaha! Now that is real BS, this is COS18, how many hours do I need to fly for that?

And forget the DPA, there is a trade union exclusion clause that will ensure you are on your own, no union representation for you Pedre....

Oh, that's right there is a FTL limit that stops you from earning $1000's. Damn the CAD, can I get a dispensation to operate to 1500hours per year?
How can a trade union exclusion clause be legal in HK?

TSIO540
12th Apr 2020, 03:09
How can a trade union exclusion clause be legal in HK?

it just says that any agreements made with the DPA won’t apply to your contract as that is Controlled purely company policy