PDA

View Full Version : Flat rate expenses for commercial pilots (UK)

Satoshi Nakamoto
12th Mar 2019, 17:15
Given that the current FRE for commercial pilots was negotiated way back in 2013, is it not time this was revised to take into account inflation?

champair79
12th Mar 2019, 17:22
Given that the current FRE for commercial pilots was negotiated way back in 2013, is it not time this was revised to take into account inflation?

We’d be so lucky. By all accounts HMRC are trying to get it removed or vastly reduced as they don’t believe the average pilot claiming it uses the whole amount for sustinence downroute. In other words, they think we’re getting a generous tax free element on top of the personal allowance.

I don’t know who you work for Satoshi but I work for the largest airline at LHR. HMRC are regularly asking for a 1% sample of pilots to send in receipts for the previous month to see if the FREA is in the right ballpark. Of course, many colleagues have misplaced receipts are don’t bother sending them in. HMRC seem to know this so I think it’s highly likely it’ll be amended soon (and not in a good way).

champ

rod_1986
12th Mar 2019, 17:23
‘Twas negotiated by BALPA.

Step 1: Join BALPA.
Step 2: Ask your friendly local rep to take this up on your behalf.

Satoshi Nakamoto
12th Mar 2019, 17:55
‘Twas negotiated by BALPA.

Step 1: Join BALPA.
Step 2: Ask your friendly local rep to take this up on your behalf.

Step 1 Done:ok:
Step 2 Will do

Thanks for your reply Champair, I think you are mistaking FRE for flight duty allowance, they are not the same.

TRY2FLY
12th Mar 2019, 17:57
Rod is spot on. It was negotiated by BALPA. And it was updated by further BALPA efforts a couple of years ago, just prior to the last General Secretary leaving office.

BALPA Rep fixed me up with a template letter from their Head Office to claim mine. I had a few years back to claim as well.

To reiterate what Rob said - Join BALPA and then ask your rep for help.

highfive
12th Mar 2019, 21:32
Virgin crew are given a cash card , to allow purchase or cash withdrawal globally .inc a uk ATM. Its like free cash , and most crews certainly enjoy taking a little extra tax free cash home in their pockets .

MikeAlpha320
12th Mar 2019, 21:36
Virgin crew are given a cash card , to allow purchase or cash withdrawal globally .inc a uk ATM. Its like free cash , and most crews certainly enjoy taking a little extra tax free cash home in their pockets .

not for much longer apparently!

DuctOvht
13th Mar 2019, 09:04
We’d be so lucky. By all accounts HMRC are trying to get it removed or vastly reduced as they don’t believe the average pilot claiming it uses the whole amount for sustinence downroute. In other words, they think we’re getting a generous tax free element on top of the personal allowance.

I don’t know who you work for Satoshi but I work for the largest airline at LHR. HMRC are regularly asking for a 1% sample of pilots to send in receipts for the previous month to see if the FREA is in the right ballpark. Of course, many colleagues have misplaced receipts are don’t bother sending them in. HMRC seem to know this so I think it’s highly likely it’ll be amended soon (and not in a good way).

champ

He’s asking about something different. FREA is added to your tax code and covers things like laptops, dry cleaning, flight bags and so on. It has been in place for years and probably could do with updating, assuming it hasn’t already been.

Tay Cough
14th Mar 2019, 08:39
I know this is about FREA.

The thing is, down route subsistence allowances, which people are discussing, are currently taxed as they are due to the need to “subsist” down route. Funny old thing. If they become fully taxable, I suggest everyone effected saves their receipts and claims the lot back from the tax man each year. The workload on HMRC will be increased so much, they would perhaps have to consider allowing a tax-free amount......

DuctOvht
14th Mar 2019, 09:29
Admittedly I was taking a stab at what it covers, or what I thought it covers.

This is official from 2017...

https://blog.balpa.org/Blog/January-2017/Five-tax-deductions-you-may-not-know-about

It is most definitely different to any downroute tax free allowance that forms part of our/your pay.

Jinkster
27th Oct 2022, 21:36
Does anyone know if we can claim part of mobile phone - we all need a telephone for answering calls for standby etc.

Thanks.

VariablePitchP
27th Oct 2022, 22:26
Does anyone know if we can claim part of mobile phone - we all need a telephone for answering calls for standby etc.

Thanks.

That’s bordering on the ridiculous. It costs nothing to receive calls…

Make calls? May phone crewing every six months so valid, except every phone contract has unlimited calls so you’ll struggle for that one as well.

clvf88
28th Oct 2022, 13:06

Make calls? May phone crewing every six months so valid, except every phone contract has unlimited calls so you’ll struggle for that one as well.

Where do I get this free phone to answer calls on?

We really are our own worst enemies. Every self employed person I know will put their phone through their company. Every job I've had outside of aviation has provided me with a mobile phone if it was required for the job.

plikee
28th Oct 2022, 16:21

Really? Because to me it costs £1.80/minute to receive a call, and £3/minute to make one when I'm away. Maybe my company OPS office is located in the moon and I'm calling from Jupiter.

Thanks.

Check https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32945

VariablePitchP
28th Oct 2022, 20:36
Where do I get this free phone to answer calls on?

We really are our own worst enemies. Every self employed person I know will put their phone through their company. Every job I've had outside of aviation has provided me with a mobile phone if it was required for the job.

You don’t own a phone? Don’t be ridiculous. If you really, really can’t stand the idea that ops might give you a ring on your phone you can get a £5 burner and a free SIM card. That’s assuming you buy a phone, get a free one if Gumtree if you’re that tight. Don’t need an iPhone to take a call.

Company require you to be neatly shaven, going to claim for razors and a sink? Probably need to claim for a fully fitted bathroom if you’re expected to shower. And a car to get to work? Probably need a house to live in, throw that on there as well. And you’re weekly shop from Asda as they’ll no doubt have the audacity to expect you to go to work not malnourished.

ShyTorque
29th Oct 2022, 13:20
You don’t own a phone? Don’t be ridiculous. If you really, really can’t stand the idea that ops might give you a ring on your phone you can get a £5 burner and a free SIM card. That’s assuming you buy a phone, get a free one if Gumtree if you’re that tight. Don’t need an iPhone to take a call.

Company require you to be neatly shaven, going to claim for razors and a sink? Probably need to claim for a fully fitted bathroom if you’re expected to shower. And a car to get to work? Probably need a house to live in, throw that on there as well. And you’re weekly shop from Asda as they’ll no doubt have the audacity to expect you to go to work not malnourished.

Ever thought of going for a management position? :suspect:

plikee
29th Oct 2022, 15:36
Ever thought of going for a management position? :suspect:

Don't feed the troll 😁

hunterboy
29th Oct 2022, 17:04
It does seem to be the only mugs not to have a company paid for mobile phone are the pilots nowadays ….I’m sure I’m not the only person that refuses to use their free minutes on company business and uses the sat phone on the aeroplane to call Ops. (And I was still put on hold for 20 minutes)

TheAirMission
29th Oct 2022, 21:38
It does seem to be the only mugs not to have a company paid for mobile phone are the pilots nowadays ….I’m sure I’m not the only person that refuses to use their free minutes on company business and uses the sat phone on the aeroplane to call Ops. (And I was still put on hold for 20 minutes)

You sound fun to fly with

VariablePitchP
30th Oct 2022, 06:03
I’m sure I’m not the only person that refuses to use their free minutes on company business and uses the sat phone on the aeroplane to call Ops. (And I was still put on hold for 20 minutes)

Unfortunately for the FOs out there who go to work just wanting an easy day, you’re not!!

Brian Pern
30th Oct 2022, 23:19
. And you’re weekly shop from Asda as they’ll no doubt have the audacity to expect you to go to work not malnourished.

Asda.....seriously, no I expect Marks and Spencer at the very least, Waitrose is preferable.

But seriously, I used to have a Blackberry work phone when I worked in GA, provided by the boss and paid for. Of course I had to be available 24/7 but themselves the breaks. Also used to use the portable Sat Phone in flight to calk home and ops, all taken care of. But that was a different time.

Sick
31st Oct 2022, 08:43
But that was a different time. Well, patching an HF call through Stockholm radio to the Mrs to let her know you're going to be late for dinner - that used to get the bean counters attention apparently!

Brian Pern
31st Oct 2022, 13:37
Well, patching an HF call through Stockholm radio to the Mrs to let her know you're going to be late for dinner - that used to get the bean counters attention apparently!

Those were the days.... I forgot about that. Yep been in the office for no tea or biccys once or twice a long time ago for that. hehehe

ToCatLady
31st Oct 2022, 19:02

the sort who invites the crew out for dinner and expects the CC to split the bill evenly to help pay for that expensive Bordeaux you ordered.

hans brinker
31st Oct 2022, 21:03
the sort who invites the crew out for dinner and expects the CC to split the bill evenly to help pay for that expensive Bordeaux you ordered.

"fond" memories of Leipzig ca 1994. I remember. "Anyone want a glass of wine?", not really, but seeing as you are offering..oh wait, he wasn't really.. CA now, and will absolutely never do it.

hunterboy
1st Nov 2022, 14:20
CA now, and will absolutely never do it
offer to buy someone a drink?

hans brinker
1st Nov 2022, 16:15
offer to buy someone a drink?

not sure if /s. I always buy, and hate people that buy expensive things and insist we split.

Journey Man
6th Nov 2022, 01:33
There are some expenses that are your responsibility at your home base. There are others that are part of your work "life". A mobile phone with data that works within your sphere of operation is a work tool, increasingly so as we move towards an ever digital cockpit.

We have sat phone onboard to use, aircraft wifi, FBO wifi, a mobile phone with a global roaming and data facility. We select the tool that's cheapest, given the time constraints, to get the job done. Funnily enough, everyone is very sensible about it and it's not abused. Treat crews with respect and that gets returned in every facet of the operation.