PDA

View Full Version : web site performance

jmelson
11th Mar 2019, 02:45
I have a pretty decent desktop with a 3.5 GHz I5 CPU and 4 GB of RAM. I have a 100 MBit/sec cable service. Lately, when reading the forum, it gets insanely slow. I see the CPU at near 100% utilization for Firefox and 88% memory utilization. I think it has to do with all the animated ads. I have to keep killing Firefox and restarting it, but then after a few minutes it bogs down again. I have not had this problem at ALL on a number of other discussion sites.

Thanks,

Jon

IBobi
11th Mar 2019, 19:29
Try clearing your browser cache and cookies ;)

jmelson
17th Mar 2019, 20:12
Try clearing your browser cache and cookies ;)

That did not seem to help. Now, I sometimes get a dialog box that script https:<blahblah>testShrink.js:4 is stuck, do you want to stop it.
Stopping that script makes pprune come back to life.

Note the text "js" above is supposed to be lower case, but it shows as upper case.

Jon

IBobi
18th Mar 2019, 19:41
If you tend to leave PPRuNe tabs open in your browser for long periods of time while you are not using the site, try closing PP when not reading or posting.

jmelson
19th Mar 2019, 15:09
If you tend to leave PPRuNe tabs open in your browser for long periods of time while you are not using the site, try closing PP when not reading or posting.

No, that doesn't make any difference.. The slowdown develops within a few minutes of starting Firefox and going to the PPrune web site. If I switch to another web site, performance becomes snappy as soon as the other page loads. I have a fairly similar setup at work which does not have this problem, but it has a LOT more memory on it. My home system only has 4 GB of memory, which is now considered "not enough". But, PPrune is the only site that seems to have this problem.

Thanks,

Jon

IBobi
19th Mar 2019, 19:23
4GB is a pretty small amount of RAM.

You may also run your AV program and see if you've picked up a bad cookie or something. Good luck.