PDA

View Full Version : Pilbara Airlines ?

SYDnewby
10th Mar 2019, 08:32
found this story from last Thu, but can't seem to find anything else except on facebook ?Pilbara airline to begin direct South-East Asia flights

Daneka HillNorth West Telegraph

Thursday, 7 March 2019 5:57PM

The newly established Pilbara Airlines is now officially taking bookings for trips flying direct from Hedland to South-East Asia.

The company announced earlier today that residents of the region could now book direct return fares from the Pilbara to popular tourist hotspots this December, including Singapore, Manila and Ho Chi Minh.

Tickets for the direct flights can only be purchased through South Hedland-based agent Grab Travel, starting from today.

Pilbara Airlines owner Peter Carter, who also owns Grab Travel, said the destinations were specifically chosen based on demand.

“There are a lot of fly-in fly-out workers from Manila,” he said.

“Vietnam is the hottest tourist destinations for Australia, Singapore is the biggest hub in the world if you want to go anywhere.”

The first flight is set to commence on December 2 this year and will be a 11am flight to Singapore.

Vietnam flights will be run on Monday and Tuesday, Singapore flights Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and on Saturdays the plane will go to Manila.

Mr Carter, who is also a Town of Port Hedland councillor and Port Hedland Chamber of Commerce president, said the airline has made its way into existence without any major corporate backing.

“It’s basically all our own funding, we’ve had no government support, no government funding, no council funding, no chamber of commerce funding, nothing at all,” he said.

Mr Carter said Grab Travel is focusing on securing a plane to run daily flights to Perth at 6am with a returning flight at 4pm.

Residents currently travelling to Perth on one-day trips for work or doctor’s appointments must catch a 9am flight, which gets into Perth at 11am and be back on a Hedland-bound plane by 3pm.

TBM-Legend
10th Mar 2019, 10:14
Sounds like a JetGo story....

SYDnewby
10th Mar 2019, 13:14
sounds to me like charters out of Asia. There must be dozens of choices.

When Kiwi Int started they chartered/wet leased aircraft from all over the place.

Passengers didn't care where the aircraft came from, how old they were etc. They just cared about the fares.

Wonder it if a Scoot aircraft for SIN/MNL or one of many other based in SIN.

TBM-Legend
10th Mar 2019, 18:17
The Asian based charters have been tried before. Seasonal I guess...

SYDnewby
10th Mar 2019, 23:58
time might be right now ? As long as the guy in Pilbara doesn't try to get too big too soon.

A few flights a week could work, as long as pricing is right.

Thinking about it, Port Hedland to anywhere is incredibly expensive.

So they just have to be cheaper than existing options, which are mostly via Perth.

Just heard they have 2 jets lined up an E190 & a BAe146-not sure which subtype.Air Kiribati perhaps for int ops?

SYDnewby
11th Mar 2019, 05:55
might not be the same operator, as domestic ops can only be done by OZ or NZ registered aircraft. International could be done by many operators.

Icarus2001
21st Mar 2019, 03:17
https://thewest.com.au/news/north-west-telegraph/hedlands-very-own-airline-ng-b881128729z

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Travel-Agency/Grab-Travel-1683606435078519/

So when people ask questions about "which airline" the answer is "we are chartering our own aircraft."

Destinations advertised including Vietnam, Manila and Singapore.

Not sure about daily Perth charters given the rules around RPT ports, isn't the limit two charters per week?

Best of luck.

SYDnewby
21st Mar 2019, 03:37
sounds ok, but probably using different airlines for domestic & international.

Think if they call the charters closed, then no limit at all. They just have to be careful with good old casa, who can't give a good definition of charters vs RPT. RPT is expensive apparently to set up. Heard figures of $120k banded around. Proving flights/lawyers fees/casa fees etc. whereas no costs like these to operate charters.

Icarus2001
21st Mar 2019, 05:48
Find for me in the regulation, Act or CASR the difference between charter and closed charter.

The charter limit is to protect RPT ports and the RPT operators. My memory is two per week but this document says one to unregulated ports.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/aviation/AV_P_RevRegRPTAirRoutesWAFinalRpt2015.pdf

SYDnewby
21st Mar 2019, 07:07
you can do as many closed charters as you want. FIFO are closed charters.

You can always make passengers members of a "church"

+ don't think port hedland is mentioned in that transport wa doc. (couldn't be bothered reading whole thing)

Does anyone know if Cobham have any 146s sitting around doing SFA at any time during the week ?

neville_nobody
21st Mar 2019, 09:48
Find for me in the regulation, Act or CASR the difference between charter and closed charter.

CAR 206

the carriage, in accordance with fixed schedules to and from fixed terminals, of passengers or cargo or passengers and cargo in circumstances in which the accommodation in the aircraft is not available for use by persons generally;

For a Travel Agent to pull this off they would have to have some sort of membership arrangement and only members can purchase seats on the aircraft.

However I don't think they would need such a high frequency so just regular charter would probably cover it.

Icarus2001
21st Mar 2019, 14:07
That's right Nev, there is no legal definition other than that, charter is charter. Closed charter is a made up name, does not appear in "the rules". I know of mining FIFO that carries employees of multiple companies and even allows " local citizens" to use the service. All very grey area stuff until someone loses an eye.

However that is beside the point. I think they will struggle with a daily Perth Port Hedland charter.

Global Aviator
21st Mar 2019, 18:39
Not quiet the Pilbara...

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/thewest.com.au/news/regional/singapore-to-broome-flights-coming-back-ng-b881076645z.amp

Zhoottoo
13th Dec 2021, 19:43
Big-noting Port Hedland mayor digs financial hole

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1caf0641b4d93acc9b5aad886947babf?width=650 (https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1caf0641b4d93acc9b5aad886947babf)Port Hedland mayor Peter Carter, centre, with WA Regional Development Minister Alannah MacTiernan, second right, and Labor MP Kevin Michel, right.

EXCLUSIVEPAUL GARVEY (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/author/Paul+Garvey)
https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/v3/authors/?byline=Paul%2520Garvey&esi=true&t_product=the-australian&t_template=s3/austemp-article_common/broadsheet/components/article-author/widget-v3.1&td_bio=false&td_byline=Paul%2520Garvey&td_location=none
6:14PM DECEMBER 13, 2021
https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/v3/authors/?byline=Paul%2520Garvey&esi=true&t_product=the-australian&t_template=s3/austemp-article_common/broadsheet/components/article-author/widget-v3.1&td_bio=false&td_byline=Paul%2520Garvey&td_follow=true&td_location=none

Facebook (https://facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnation %2Fpolitics%2Fbignoting-port-hedland-mayor-digs-financial-hole%2Fnews-story%2F60a3219715d40f47cc91876f80cdd83f&t=Big-noting%20mayor%20digs%20financial%20hole)
Twitter (https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnation%2F politics%2Fbignoting-port-hedland-mayor-digs-financial-hole%2Fnews-story%2F60a3219715d40f47cc91876f80cdd83f&text=Big-noting%20mayor%20digs%20financial%20hole)
Whatsapp (whatsapp://send?text=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnation%2F politics%2Fbignoting-port-hedland-mayor-digs-financial-hole%2Fnews-story%2F60a3219715d40f47cc91876f80cdd83f)
?subject=Big-noting%20mayor%20digs%20financial%20hole&body=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnation%2Fpolit ics%2Fbignoting-port-hedland-mayor-digs-financial-hole%2Fnews-story%2F60a3219715d40f47cc91876f80cdd83f
Save (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/bignoting-port-hedland-mayor-digs-financial-hole/news-story/60a3219715d40f47cc91876f80cdd83f#)

The mayor of Port Hedland, a 19-year-old Woolworths worker and a chicken farm manager from Pakenham inked millions of dollars worth of deals in and around the iron ore town after the mayor told vendors their newly registered *Aboriginal corporation had access to vast streams of seemingly non-existent government funding.

Port Hedland mayor Peter Carter has been involved in a string of deals and proposals, including a Perth hotel, a planned personal protective equipment factory, an energy drink distribution deal and even a $210m-plus proposed acquisition of Port Hedland international airport. None of the ventures came to fruition.

The failed proposals have left a line of disappointed and angry counterparties across Western Australia, and have sparked accusations that Mr Carter has misused his standing as mayor.

A stream of documents obtained by The Australian detail how Mr Carter on multiple occasions referred to his corporation’s purported access to government funding when attempting to negotiate the deals.

ADVERTISEMENT
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLLCentral to those negotiations is Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation, of which Mr Carter, his half-sister Raquel Gretgrix, and her 19-year-old son Lachlan Shaw were the three founding directors when it was formally incorporated in June this year.

On May 31, 17 days before Corymbia was formally registered, Mr Carter wrote to the owners of Peppers Kings Square Hotel in Perth stating that Corymbia wished to purchase the hotel for $28m. He said he planned to use the hotel for Indigenous hospitality training in the future.

“I advise Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation has government-based funding to guarantee and underwrite the agreed purchase price,” he wrote at the time.

Mr Carter also told potential backers that Corymbia had taken control of Port Hedland-based would-be air carrier Pilbara Airlines, a company he had helped *establish before he became mayor.

While Pilbara Airlines is yet to get off the ground, Mr Carter in mid-June wrote a letter detailing what he believed the company was worth and reiterating Corymbia’s purported access to government funding.

In the letter, he said Pilbara Airlines’ CASA licence to operate was “conservatively” valued at $20m and that all mining companies in the Pilbara would use the airline “in a major way”.

“This committed revenue stream … is factored in our forward cashflows as significant and ongoing,” he wrote.
Peter Carter’s half-sister Raquel Gretgrix. Picture: Facebook“Underpinning the investment (in) Pilbara Airlines is the owner of the airline, Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation, which has Indigenous, state and federal financial support.”

CASA records show that the relevant licence to operate is held by Pilbara Airlines (AOC) Pty Ltd. According to Australian Securities & Investments Commission records, the sole director and shareholder of that company is Perth man Ed Turner. ASIC records also show that Mr Carter ceased being a director of Pilbara Airlines Pty Ltd in September and do not show him as holding any shares in the group.

The recipient of that letter, Zaidi Syed, had earlier introduced Mr Carter and Corymbia to Melbourne-based Metro Capital Partners, which offered the mayor and his company a $7.2m loan towards the purchase of two Port Hedland hotels. That deal was due to settle on November 1, but is believed to have fallen through.

Among those angry at Mr Carter is John Woods, a Perth-based consultant with international branding agency Cato Brand Partners, which has worked with a host of major international airlines.

Mr Woods said Mr Carter contacted him to commission the design of the branding for Pilbara Airlines. Encouraged by what he said were Mr Carter’s descriptions of his access to significant amounts of funding, Mr Woods began helping the mayor and Corymbia with its hunt for assets.

Mr Woods said Mr Carter’s position as mayor and his purported access to funding had carried weight in the eyes of others, but as far as he was aware there was “zero” government funding behind Corymbia.

“He’s the mayor, and he’s told people they can do things and he can create situations for them and it’s simply not true,” he said.

“Either he’s got some delusions of grandeur or he’s a lunatic, I don’t really know. But it’s just extraordinary that you would be so deluded, so disconnected from your own reality, to say things to people that were not true.”

He said a $154,000 invoice owed by Mr Carter for Cato’s *Pilbara Airlines branding services remained unpaid.

In July, before their relationship broke down, Mr Woods drafted an email on Mr Carter’s behalf as part of an effort to secure interim finance for a proposed acquisition of Port Hedland inter*national airport.

The email detailed how the *airport was expected to cost between $210m and $230m.

“Of significant interest to Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation is the acquisition of the airport to become Intergrated (sic) as the global headquarters of the Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation aviation company Pilbara Airlines,” the email read.

The 600ha of land around the airport, the email stated, was of “considerable interest to Corymbia” to be developed as an airport industrial park.

In an email to the federal government-funded Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility seeking support for the purchase of The Lodge and the South Hedland Motel, Mr Woods said Corymbia had been established “to further the welfare and general wellbeing of Indigenous people”.

“Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation has attached significant Australian commonwealth Indigen*ous funding to expand economic activity for Indigenous people,” he wrote.

A NAIF spokesman said the body had held early talks with Corymbia this year but they had not progressed. A spokeswoman for WA’s Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development said the group had had no financial interactions with Corymbia Aboriginal Corporation.

Among the companies Mr Carter allegedly approached with the promise of assistance or funding was a start-up energy drink company that was offered a lucrative drinks distribution deal aboard Pilbara Airlines.

The head of the energy drink company, who did not want to be named, said Mr Carter told him his company could secure council land in Port Hedland for a proposed beverage plant for a “minimal amount”.

The company spent about $10,000 and a number of weeks preparing a detailed business plan after it was approached by Mr Carter, including drafting up a supply and distribution agreement that would have seen Pilbara Airlines commit to buying at least $1.4m worth of the company’s drinks for use on its flights.
The head of the company said it had taken Mr Carter seriously because of his standing as the mayor of Port Hedland, but Mr Carter had simply stopped returning calls and emails.“I thought because he was holding a position of power on a council in a mining town that’s absolutely booming, the guy has got to be legit. All of a sudden the wheels started falling off the cart,” the company head said.

“Mate, he should be doing children’s pantomimes, he’s that good at telling stories.”

Charisma Wickham, an award-winning scientist who was working to establish a biodegradable personal protective equipment company, said Mr Carter had approached her and suggested that she should establish her business in Port Hedland.

She said Mr Carter had told her she could have access to land and buildings in Port Hedland for her business and also offered to introduce her to an Aboriginal group he said was run by his sister and which could help her with funding.

“According to what he said, there was a huge responsibility for him to build Port Hedland,” Ms Wickham said. “I thought I could give at least 100 jobs to Port Hedland and I wanted to get it done there. I wanted to establish that there, and I thought with him being the mayor and giving all these details that something good was going to happen.”

Ms Wickham said she had no idea that Corymbia was in fact owned and run by Mr Carter.

“He never told me had any connection to that other than his sister was on the board,” she said. “If he was involved, I would always wonder because there’s a conflict of interest with him being the mayor.”

Mr Carter did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

According to his Facebook page, Mr Shaw works at the local Woolworths while documents obtained by The Australian say that Ms Gretgrix is a manager with Ingham Chicken.

Both Mr Shaw and Ms Gretgrix stepped down from the board on August 7, but not before Mr Shaw co-signed property sale contracts for The Lodge and The South Hedland Motel purchases. Both Mr Shaw and Ms Gretgrix also signed an application seeking a transfer of the liquor licence for The Lodge motel.

Mr Shaw said he had not seen his uncle in a “long, long time” and did not know what if any funding was behind Corymbia or what *activity it had been involved in.

“Peter Carter is my mum’s brother, they signed me up. I’m not too sure about it because Mum did all that for me,” he said.

Ms Gretgrix said questions about Corymbia should be directed to Mr Carter.

“You’ll have to talk to Peter about all this, not me,” she said.

Mr Carter became mayor in 2020 after the previous council was suspended amid complaints of bullying, harassment, infighting and dysfunction. He was resoundingly re-elected for a fresh four-year term this year.
https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/article/story-preview-60a3219715d40f47cc91876f80cdd83f?esi=true&t_product=the-australian&t_template=s3/austemp-article_common/broadsheet/router&td_broadsheet=true&td_channel=MOBILE&td_x_pt=default