PDA

View Full Version : An unhappy LORI

left outer, right inner
20th Apr 2001, 13:27
My application was unsuccessful.

That is it, no more attempts at BA for me cos I am too old. pff.

Thanks to everyone for your support and help for the past few years.

To get so far, even to this review board thingy, still a no.

Cya all and good luck to all those who made it and to those that didn't too.

LORI http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by left outer, right inner (edited 20 April 2001).]

wtpurser
20th Apr 2001, 13:49
Unlucky Lori,

Shame you can't keep trying. You'll get there in the end. Through another route.

How many times did you apply to BA ?

Peter Pan
20th Apr 2001, 13:52
You never know what the next tide will bring back to you.
Life is like a box of chocolate.

left outer, right inner
20th Apr 2001, 13:53
Wtpurser, the answer is 3 times

Token Bird
20th Apr 2001, 14:10
LORI,

That's awful. I'm really sorry. Try to tell yourself that if you're not right for them, then they're probably not right for you. That may sound like a crock of s**t, but hey, I'm great at talking c**p!

Do you have a plan B?

E-mail me,
TB

GJB
20th Apr 2001, 14:14
BAd luck LORI - but that's just it - luck. The scheme is SO competitive, not every worthy candidate can be accomodated.

It's a great scheme, but a long shot.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and consider your options.

If you want it, you'll get it.

And don't disappear from PPRUNE, whatever you do!

ROTATION
20th Apr 2001, 14:36
Bad luck LORI.

Probably not what you want to hear at the moment but BA is not the be all and end all of all sponsorship opportunities, there are several others open to a higher age than BA!

And getting sponsored is not the be all and end all of flying as WWW et al will testify.

But for now, I know what that feeling is like and it's not nice so I'd recommend a heavy night of sorrow drowning.

BJF
20th Apr 2001, 14:49
LORI

Everything happens for a reason. Rest assured that there is a better opportinity waiting for you out there. Don't give up

BJF

sam_flying
20th Apr 2001, 14:58
LORI

Please don't give up. BA are not the only option as you probably well know...and I am sure someone somewhere will snap you up!!

Keep your chin up and soldier on. Don't let them beat you!!!

We are all here for you....

Take care
Sam_flying

Oleo
20th Apr 2001, 20:31
Sorry to hear that LORI. But it doesn't mean you won't make a great pilot.

It's OK to feel like crap for a few days and then you need to start looking at other options. Where there is a will there's a way. Don't give up.

Good luck to you.

E-Fizz
20th Apr 2001, 20:33
LORI

CEP funding aside, this reminds me of a friend who had aspirations to join the BBC, (different job type but same standing in the media world). She just couldn't get in. Even tried contracting there through an agency, applied for jobs internally - no luck. She eventually decided to offer her creative skills to a much smaller, independant, differently financed company. She is now a Producer approaching the top of her ladder in terms of satisfaction, pay, gravitas and all those other things that go together to make a person happy in what they do. She is also very aware of the dynamism of her new company and is able to bolster those advantages by conversations with people 'on the other side of the media fence'.

The moral of the story? It's a blow getting so far with anything and then not making it to the finishing gate, but, every ending is a new beginning and you WILL get your day. Not piloting for BA is definately not the end of the road. All the best for the future mate, you'll succeed.

[This message has been edited by E-Fizz (edited 20 April 2001).]

andymac
21st Apr 2001, 00:29
OLEO, what r u up to now??

PanicButton
21st Apr 2001, 02:12
Is there realy only one operator in England? :)

------------------
Nothing to see here, just making use of the internet!

left outer, right inner
21st Apr 2001, 03:12
Panic Button...

All due respect, but dammit, am I not allowed to feel a little pissed off considering how close I was????

Of course there are other operators around but if you have nothing constructive to say, then thanks but no thanks. :)

Thankyou so much to everyone that has replied to this posting. As Panic Button has so conveniently pointed out, there is life after BA, and I look forward to what life has to offer. I know I (and so many of us) have what it takes, but a part of success is failure. If you do not fail, you do not learn so for that I am grateful.

I am not about to leave pprune, because it means too much to me only because I have met so many fantastic people through it.

I wish everyone success in their careers (or soon to be careers :)) but above all happiness....after all, what is it all for otherwise?

Thanx again, and see you all soon,

LORI

[This message has been edited by left outer, right inner (edited 20 April 2001).]

batty
21st Apr 2001, 11:20
Have you thought about the Self Sponsored route? It is expensive but there are banks out there that will lend you the money, I know several guys who gone about it this way.
Another bonus to it is that you are a free agent at the end of the day and will earn more than the BA sponsored students when you get your first proper job. There are lots of tales on Prune about people who have been this down this route,its hard but hey lifes a bitch, keep your chin up and find another way.

great expectations
21st Apr 2001, 14:46
Sorry to hear that LORI, I have been following your posts recently and was keeping my fingers crossed. It sounds like Charlie-130 was doing the same. I kinda have to play devil's advocate here and say I do understand how disappointed you feel, BA may not be the be all and end all of British Aviation but when you are aiming for it nothing else seems quite as important. Perhaps go the self-sponsored route and go back to BA as DEP? Thinking of you, all the best.

juswonnafly
21st Apr 2001, 14:54
Lori, I don,t wish to sound unsympathetic here but are you suggesting that if you cannot get free training then you are giving up?

Remember that most of us have had to do it the hard way.

I do not want to appear offensive but what is wrong with getting on with it yourself?

By the way, I wish someone paid for my training but no such luck.

Chin up old son

JWF :)

Flying_Steph
21st Apr 2001, 16:06
There are two different ways to learn:
- the hard way,
- and...eh... the other way.
;)

I don't know you LORI, but have you ever imagined that you might NOT have liked working for BA ? How much do you know about BA and about yourself ? Apart from the sponsorship-thing, what make you think it's such a great loss ? Some of us never really feel happy in a "Major" and need smaller structures where they tremendously (and even more) enjoy flying.

I know it's sometimes hard to find our way , but don't give up now !
"Whatever you do, always shoot for the Moon. Because even if you miss, you may hit a star"

What experience do you have LORI ? How close are you to getting a flying job ?

great expectations
21st Apr 2001, 16:33
That was argumentative juswonnafly!!!! Ok, so we all admit that BA isnt the only way to get to fly and indeed most people dont get there that way - but some of us really really want to do it that way and it isnt a case of getting flying for free! Its a whole challenge in itself! Just as self-sponsorship is. I can see it from Lori's perspective!

Pielander
23rd Apr 2001, 03:09
LORI - Sorry about that old chap - I thought you were in there, so I suppose you must have done also. You must be as http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif as a parrot, and I can see why.

The rest of you guys (with the odd exception), You've got to understand LORI being a bit pissed. They've more or less told him that he was good enough but they're not going to take him anyway. It's not like he had unrealistic hopes of getting in or anything. If you're self-sponsred, then fair enough, but I'll bet if you'd had a chance at full sponsorship & guaranteed jet job at the end, then none of you would have turned it down.

Gutted for you LORI. You were nearly there. Don't give up now.

Pie

Pauliejet
23rd Apr 2001, 09:13
Sorry to hear the news buddy. Keep pushing forward, lots of ways in, although maybe not so quick or silver lined. I believe that in a way being sponsored can deny you some of the experiences along the training route that eventually become the best remembered..

Best of luck

PJ

G-BPEC
23rd Apr 2001, 18:39
LORI,

Sorry to hear that, to be so close and then have your hopes dashed must be awful. I would reinforce what the others have said on this thread... don't give up now! The fact that you got so far should prove to you that you DO have what it takes - Remember that on that scheme, BA had to choose from hundreds of extremely talented pilots, getting through to the stage you did is quite an achievement. I see why you are so upset about not getting in with BA, but keep trying with other airlines! The days are long gone when BA was the only british carrier worth mentioning! There are many airlines recruiting with many aircraft and routes and if you are determined enough, you will make it in the end, I am sure of it.

Good luck :)
BPEC

Mister Geezer
23rd Apr 2001, 20:46
LORI

I feel gutted for you! I was expecting you to get in.

There seems to be a lot of good stuff from others on this thread. Other airlines in the UK can give you just as good if not a better career than BA would! I know what I say will not make you feel better, however I am just an e-mail away and please keep me in touch with your plans!

All the very best

MG

------------------
Don't land in a field or the sheep will eat the aircraft.

grace
24th Apr 2001, 01:12
awww LORI what can I say..I'm gutted for you i know how you must be feeling but don't give up. You have what it takes and where theres a will theres a way...you'll get your dream eventually
All the best, i know you'll be flying soon

grace x

fantum farter
24th Apr 2001, 01:44
Dear LORI,

I know just how you feel I was rejected by BA 3 times (although I never got to the final board)
I did however get to the final stage with BM a few years ago 21 places 46 left in the pot and I was binned it was a complete bummer and took me a few weeks to recover and bring myself back up.
Over the years I had also been at the end of a knockback letter from Brittannia,A2k,and KLM.

Now the good bit,

I worked for an airline as cabin crew after being made redundant from Quantity surveying (not everyones idea of fun) whilst still aplying for all the sponsorships under the sun until I was just getting to the wrong age for all of them.

I was also building hours and doing night ratings etc AND getting lots of time hanging over pilots shoulders on long night flights saying 'wassat then etc'(also flying with senior pilots!)

Anyway I asked about sponsorship but they were reluctant and then one day the asked for applications to go for aptitude tests for pilot training.I was off and running and somehow managed to get through and convince a panel of 4 guys I was the man and it worked

The letter telling me I had been succesful-words fail to describe the utter joy it totally cast aside all those years of rejection and misery and longing to fly.
I now fly a 757 and love every minute of it.

YOU still have that letter to come with determination you WILL succeed.

Luck plays a part but you make a lot of it yourself.

Take your time mope about a bit and then pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get stuck back in. Your time will come and you can look back and think life isn't so bad as you have a coffee at 35000ft (and to tell you the truth you cant tell what colour your a/c is painted from the inside so does it really matter !!

Good luck with the future applications.

FF

------------------
PFFFFFFSSSSST !!!

combi pilot
24th Apr 2001, 07:26
fantum,

that was very inspiring..makes the struggle to 'get there' all worth while.

LORI,

do hope you take heed and keep your chin up. There is after all, life after BA and elsewhere. Keep trying and one day the sun will shine brightly for you as it did the rest who are now sipping coffee at FL35 in the L/RHS.

All the best!

combi

MikeSierra
24th Apr 2001, 22:22
I'm sooooo sorry to hear that LORI...
Don't think anything anyone can say (no offence guys) will make it any easier!! yes, you are allowed to be pissed off it's only natural, so bring it on!! I'm sure that everyone was only trying to help pick you up a bit telling you it is not the end of the world (even though it might seem so at the moment).
Send us an e-mail, will make you coffee at TPC next time you're in ;)

------------------
G-XX...finals and hopefully land!

[This message has been edited by MikeSierra (edited 24 April 2001).]

Little Miss
24th Apr 2001, 22:31
Fantom Farter how s it going up there. Left outer, right inner don t get too depressed it will happen.

left outer, right inner
25th Apr 2001, 14:32
Thankyou so much everyone for your encouraging words. I am now over the initial rejection and now am looking to the future and starting to plan once again.

It still is gutting to have been sooo close, however, there is nothing I can now do about it, and it would only be damaging to me if I was to dwell on it for any length of time.

With regard to plans, the next step is to get my PPL and keep applyingfor those ellusive sponsorships, namely BM, JEA etc.

Again thankyou for all the help over them last few years with everything, and long may it all continue! It is great to chat with like minded people.

A 'keeping his chin up and looking forward to his future',

LORI :) :)