PDA

View Full Version : EASA UK Class 1 Medical expired by more than 5 years

custardpsc
6th Mar 2019, 08:55
I have a EASA Class 1 medical that has only been renewed to class 2 for a long time as that is all I have needed. Unfortunately I now find that to regain the class 1 it is not a simple process ( unlike the FAA... ) .

From the UK CAA website
"If you hold a Class 1 or 2 medical certificate what (sic) has expired by more than two years, the examiner will need to assess your aeromedical record before carrying out the renewal examination. If it has expired by more than 5 years, the process for initial issue will apply, though the fitness decision will be based on the revalidation requirements; in this circumstance Class 1 applicants will need to attend an Aeromedical Centre. "

Firstly posting this to warn others of the problem of leaving a medical expired. Secondly, hoping that an AME on here can answer the question - Can I go to an overseas EASA state and seek renewal ? I know that I can do that in normal renewal circumstances and there is a process for the overseas AME to report the results etc.. But what about this case ? Is Aeromedical Centre a UK specific term? or do they exist generally as an EASA defined term ?

My reasons are cost and convenience - I am often in other countries for work. Also the waiting time and cost for the only three centres in the UK is significant. It has been confirmed by one of these that the whole class 1 initial fee will have to be paid in this circumstance.

topoverhaul
6th Mar 2019, 12:28
Yes you can approach any AeMC in EASA land and undergo an extended Class 1 renewal examination.
The result of the examination is then forwarded to the AMS of your State of Licence Issue.