PDA

View Full Version : Comments required please...

Jet Jockey A4
4th Mar 2019, 22:40
At the end of the month I'm flying from Athens to the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean...

Our route is going to take us over the Med and then Egypt and all along the west side of the Red sea over Ethiopia and then right over Somalia before heading out over the Indian Ocean.

The flight over Somalia should be less than 25 minutes and most likely in the mid 40s for our cruise altitudes.

Anything special I should be aware of flying over Ethiopia and especially Somalia?

TIA

studentpil0t
4th Mar 2019, 23:04
At the end of the month I'm flying from Athens to the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean...

Our route is going to take us over the Med and then Egypt and all along the west side of the Red sea over Ethiopia and then right over Somalia before heading out over the Indian Ocean.

The flight over Somalia should be less than 25 minutes and most likely in the mid 40s for our cruise altitudes.

Anything special I should be aware of flying over Ethiopia and especially Somalia?

TIA

I thought you'd refer to NOTAMs for "anything special" but since you wanna hear it first hand..those 25 minutes over Somalia might make you regret flying.MIGHT. just keep your holy book in your flight bag

Jet Jockey A4
5th Mar 2019, 01:48
I thought you'd refer to NOTAMs for "anything special" but since you wanna hear it first hand..those 25 minutes over Somalia might make you regret flying.MIGHT. just keep your holy book in your flight bag

Of course we are going to be diligent and get all the information we can on Somalia including NOTAMS...

However if I believe everything I read or hear about certain countries (depending on the sources), then there would be a lot of places we wouldn't go.

Example was Lebanon... some sources said to never go there yet many business jets do go and have had no issues.

It was the good people on this forum that told us that some sources were exaggerating the problems in Lebanon and it was safe to operate in and out of there.

4HolerPoler
5th Mar 2019, 04:20
It’s a non-event JJ - establish comms before the boundary; monitor and make position reports on the TIBA 126.9 (https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/2976.pdf) frequency. Enjoy the flight and time on the beach. Don’t open the door after landing until you get tge approval from the authorities on the ground and you’ll have an easy life.