PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Director Initial Contact

punkalouver
4th Mar 2019, 05:10
There used to be a note in the charts to let the director know your aircraft type on first contact. Is this no longer required or was the note moved somewhere else?

Airmann
4th Mar 2019, 07:36
Is still there on the ATIS. Also applicable for departure.

simmple
4th Mar 2019, 17:33
always wondered why they want all that when the rt is so busy

flyingmed
4th Mar 2019, 23:26
always wondered why they want all that when the rt is so busy
Most arrivals in LHR are based on timing, knowing your type allows them to sequence traffic according to wake category. Probably something similar going on with departures.

Airmann
5th Mar 2019, 07:56
Why don't they just use Flight Radar 24!:}

simmple
6th Mar 2019, 22:06
Most arrivals in LHR are based on timing, knowing your type allows them to sequence traffic according to wake category. Probably something similar going on with departures.
not trying to be awkward but don’t they have that info from flight plan?
many times I have tried to contact them but step on someone, can’t get the call in due congestion or someone steps on me.
many major European destinations are happy with callsign only.
not a criticism of Heathrow its their way of doing it so we do it, just wondered why!

Capt Fathom
7th Mar 2019, 10:56
many times I have tried to contact them but step on someone, can’t get the call in due congestion or someone steps on me.

“Don’t call us. We’ll call you.”

Airmann
8th Mar 2019, 01:47
not trying to be awkward but don’t they have that info from flight plan?

They've omitted the request for aircraft type on departure a number of times for me. Since the aircraft landed just 90 min prior they are sure of the type.

Otherwise I think it's their way of being extra cautious. I believe they have some of the lowest speration minima in the world, and they can't risk getting the type wrong due to last minute equipmemt changes by the airlines.

Gonzo
8th Mar 2019, 09:39
We need type and variant on first contact please.

If departing, our systems check your FMS type when you request datalink clearance.

This doesn’t happen inbound or if you request a voice clearance outbound.

Yes, it’s on the flight plan, but you’d be surprised at how many time the flight plan is wrong. There are some types that fall into two wake categories depending upon variant, and this will become even more important when we move to pair-wise separation where B744-A321 pair will have different separation requirement than a B748-A320 pair.

simmple
8th Mar 2019, 16:07
Thanks... now I know