PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue - London.

daz211
2nd Mar 2019, 15:09
JetBlue has just sent out a “save the date” email to employees. This event will be taking place in New York City on April 10, 2019, and is described as a “chat about JetBlue’s vision and strategy.” JetBlue employees are invited to attend in person or watch via webcast.

It sure sounds to me like this is more than a “state of the airline” address, based on the way it’s described. I assume that there’s some big announcement.

I think just about everyone’s first instinct is that JetBlue is about to announce service to Europe. I don’t know if that’s the case or not but there is a poster doing the rounds which looks like a London skyscape in the back ground with the millennium wheel looking very prominent.

rog747
2nd Mar 2019, 15:19
Well that would be interesting - they do have 159 seat A321 with a high end Mint product (16 Super business type/Premium Economy) but they are not NEO LR but have IAE engines - Not sure if they have any ETOPS experience either?

So at present they do not have any fleet for TA ops but read this about their latest NEO orders and new markets https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/jetblue-to-decide-on-the-a321lr-in-2019-454738/

Mid April is a funny time to announce new markets - they would have lost Summer 2019 momentum for sales

daz211
2nd Mar 2019, 15:23
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/03/02/jetblue-london-announcement/

hopethis link works, looks like Boston - Heathrow.

rog747
2nd Mar 2019, 15:28
OH well good luck to them - flew domestic - they were great

tom7130
2nd Mar 2019, 15:59
I know Birmingham is trying to get them wounder if they have and said they are ‘soon’ to announce New York flights

daz211
2nd Mar 2019, 16:16
All the clues in the link (Post 3), point to London (LHR).

pamann
2nd Mar 2019, 16:29
How and who have they got the slots from if they are to operate to/from Heathrow?

IMHO they will have been offered a much better deal surely to go to Stansted or Gatwick.

Heathrow 'narrow-body transatlantic' just seems to me like an expensive experiment.

tom7130
2nd Mar 2019, 16:31
All the clues in the link (Post 3), point to London (LHR).

Yeah But they could also announce Birmingham Aswell unlikely but could

EGPO
3rd Mar 2019, 00:17
Or they could choose any random UK Regional Airport , would SEN be able to accommodate the aircraft mentioned?.
It's just the sort of deal , Stobart are good at doing .
There again a Northern Airport , apart from Manchester there are no Us services ( unless Newcastle still operate there ).
But either way even if there are.
Non are ' Ultra Low Cost' , Jet Blue of course.
Offers different Service levels, bit I think a certain popular YouTube channel ' flight experience chap ' covered Jet Blue Mint and mentioned the very basic ultra low cost , options .
Through to ' Mint '., If this is the case then will this be the first true ' Low-cost ' carrier to cross the pond .

If so I'd bet a certain Irish Airline will be fuming , not having the Aircraft to do the trip .

VickersVicount
3rd Mar 2019, 00:42
EDI have had discussions as well but suspect the DL announcement of BOS perhaps prempted that, so maybe GLA as a northern UK/Europe port after LHR
Cant see BHX in a month of sundays

pabely
3rd Mar 2019, 08:48
[If so I'd bet a certain Irish Airline will be fuming , not having the Aircraft to do the trip .
You can book BOS LHR already with another Irish airline via DUB on the JB booking engine, they will obvoiusly know the demand then, but would that not upset IAG and would upset other agreements where EI interlink via DUB?

EGPO
4th Mar 2019, 10:04
You can book BOS LHR already with another Irish airline via DUB on the JB booking engine, they will obvoiusly know the demand then, but would that not upset IAG and would upset other agreements where EI interlink via DUB?

I was thinking more of a certain Loco Irish carrier . To my knowledge they don't operate an aircraft capable of making New York or Boston.
Maybe, Providence , but not sure why that never worked out for Norwegian.
But then my detailed US geography is not great .
So not sure how far ' out of town it is '.

nowhereasfiled
4th Mar 2019, 19:05
Well according to another online aviation forum (yes the one where 99% of members are JetBlue fanboys), there could potentially be a very far-out but somewhat credible rumour of B6 buying out Thomas Cook, hence the “London” theme.

chaps1954
4th Mar 2019, 23:02
That would be Manchester then as nearly all TCX flights to US are ex MAN

dc9-32
5th Mar 2019, 05:43

At the moment. Thomas Cook have a presence at STN/LGW too.

brian_dromey
5th Mar 2019, 05:50

At the moment. Thomas Cook have a presence at STN/LGW too.
As a non-EU airline I don’t think B6 could take more than 49% of TCX. But why would they? TCX is a low-cost schedules & charter airline. B6 markets itself as a ‘hip’ alternative to the US3. They are very different.

People would do well to remember what happens to the last airline that built-up a healthy base at Manchester with A330s and moved them to London. It wasn’t a lot of gold, or a happy ending.

VickersVicount
5th Mar 2019, 14:01
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jetblue-us-flights-boston-new-york-london-low-fares-a8807996.html

goldeneye
5th Mar 2019, 14:57
Not entirely sure where they get the £8000 fares between London and NYC/BOS in Business.

Most fares sit around the 3-4K mark.

pamann
5th Mar 2019, 15:12
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jetblue-us-flights-boston-new-york-london-low-fares-a8807996.html

I’d put money on it going to Stansted. All this talk on Anet about LHR just doesn’t seem logistical with slots or narrowbodies IMHO just wont make a profit.

daz211
5th Mar 2019, 15:19
Personally I hope it’s STN over LHR, there is more European destinations for onward travel for US passengers, who knows maybe some deal has been struck with the golden harp, that would make things very interesting indeed But like everyone we will just have to wait and see.

whitelighter
5th Mar 2019, 15:55
Surely the obvious narrow body long haul airport is the boutique establishment on the hill...

BA318
5th Mar 2019, 16:06
I’d put money on it going to Stansted. All this talk on Anet about LHR just doesn’t seem logistical with slots or narrowbodies IMHO just wont make a profit.

Jetblue have been arguing for access on the basis of the Delta/VS and BA/AA alliance having anti competitive holdings at LHR and AMS. They are arguing for remedy slots to open the market to new competition - similar to how Flybe now operate to EDI and ABZ using BA slots.

BA318
5th Mar 2019, 16:13
https://www.mazars.co.uk/Home/Services/Audit-Assurance/Monitoring-Trustee-Services/British-Airways-American-Airlines-Iberia

Posted on Airliners but this seems to imply slots for 2019 could be up for grabs for LHR-NYC.

toledoashley
6th Mar 2019, 07:30
The actual article within doesn’t specify a London airport. It says the airline can apply for ‘any of their choosing’ between Gatwick and Heathrow.
It’s only the Anetters who have assumed that Heathrow is the most likely option.

chaps1954
6th Mar 2019, 08:30
dc9-32 I did say US flights which I think you will find is correct

daz211
6th Mar 2019, 08:59
It’s possible Jetblue’s flights will be configured only for business class “MINT”.
if this is the case, JetBlue could dramatically undercut the current offering.

El Bunto
6th Mar 2019, 12:56
[left]
As a non-EU airline I don’t think B6 could take more than 49% of TCX.

Well, we're not really sure what the rules will be for UK airlines after 29 March. Perhaps they'll be a free-for-all like the train operating companies.

If Jet Blue are just shopping for an AOC then Thomas Cook looks like a decent choice.

SWBKCB
6th Mar 2019, 13:16
Well, we're not really sure what the rules will be for UK airlines after 29 March. Perhaps they'll be a free-for-all like the train operating companies.

Doesn't the recently agreed US-UK bilateral include ownership restrictions?

Cyrano
6th Mar 2019, 13:33
If Jet Blue are just shopping for an AOC then Thomas Cook looks like a decent choice.

But they have a perfectly good (US) AOC, which will do nicely for US-UK & US-EU service. Why would they need another?

Flyby1206
13th Mar 2019, 00:28
Putting all of the Brexit stuff aside, TCX could be a good fit for B6 for their strength in UK point of sale, and focus on vacation/leisure destinations, particularly in the Caribbean. The B6 CEO is an ex-BA exec, so I am sure he knows TCX and UK markets very well. We'll find out April 10th...

daz211
4th Apr 2019, 19:40
Has anyone heard anymore on the announcement due next week ?

FFHKG
4th Apr 2019, 20:11
Seems Virgin/Delta are launching LGW to JFK and Boston next Summer..... announced today. Wonder if this will cause JetBlue to re-think any of their plans? Will certainly put pressure on Norwegian on those routes.

pamann
4th Apr 2019, 21:10
If JetBlue really are to launch London as expected next Wednesday (save the date), then there really are only two contenders left now; Heathrow (good luck getting those slots) or Stansted.

Watch this space...

Jetaway
4th Apr 2019, 21:56
Putting all of the Brexit stuff aside, TCX could be a good fit for B6 for their strength in UK point of sale, and focus on vacation/leisure destinations, particularly in the Caribbean. The B6 CEO is an ex-BA exec, so I am sure he knows TCX and UK markets very well. We'll find out April 10th...

JetBlue have a better hard product if you ask me than TCX

tibbs87
5th Apr 2019, 00:44
Seems Virgin/Delta are launching LGW to JFK and Boston next Summer..... announced today. Wonder if this will cause JetBlue to re-think any of their plans? Will certainly put pressure on Norwegian on those routes.

Unless they are persuaded to operate out of Stansted? I know the airport was recently trying to get more long haul operators to operate from there? JetBlue would fit the bill too being a ''low cost'' carrier.

daz211
7th Apr 2019, 09:44
Simon Calder ( independent ) Reporting the London Airport will be Gatwick.

_aax1
7th Apr 2019, 11:17

He is just assuming it will be Gatwick based on his logic, although it probably will be. Bye bye Norwegian.

pamann
7th Apr 2019, 11:25

He’s only putting 2 + 2 together and making 5.

He has had no more reason to know than you and I... He could of course be right but any one of us could be at this stage.

Wednesday isn’t too far off now.

Vokes55
7th Apr 2019, 15:19
He is just assuming it will be Gatwick based on his logic, although it probably will be. Bye bye Norwegian.

Under what logic "bye bye Norwegian"? Nobody in Europe has heard of jetblue. BA already compete with Norwegian on JFK, with similar fares and service levels.

daz211
7th Apr 2019, 15:57
Under what logic "bye bye Norwegian"? Nobody in Europe has heard of jetblue. BA already compete with Norwegian on JFK, with similar fares and service levels.

I beg to differ, here in the UK ���� we know who JetBlue are, just like we know who southwest and America are.
There is also rumours of the aircraft being fitted out in the full mint interior, so could be more like a Silverjet, Eos or Maxjet setup.

chaps1954
7th Apr 2019, 16:40
Hope they have deep pockets then, mind you they all arrived at once didn`t they

Ian

Vokes55
7th Apr 2019, 16:55
I beg to differ, here in the UK ���� we know who JetBlue are, just like we know who southwest and America are.
There is also rumours of the aircraft being fitted out in the full mint interior, so could be more like a Silverjet, Eos or Maxjet setup.

You know who they are because you're a nerd on an aviation site. The majority of the UK public would assume it's a typo for or misheard Jet2.

Your comparison with Silverjet, Eos and Maxjet indicates how successful it would be. I don't think Norwegian have anything to worry about.

_aax1
7th Apr 2019, 18:04

Under the simple logic of:
They're already in the financial dog house
LON-NY/BOS is already at overcapacity, fares are at dirt cheap prices
Fuel at a all time high
The pound continues to slip and Norwegian booking are mostly UK outbound whereas JetBlue will be USA outbound with a stronger dollar booking
Norwegian does not have a business offering where the money is
Delta and JetBlue are going to enter this crowded market and have a fare war

The weaker player is going to have a really hard time.

Vokes55
7th Apr 2019, 18:30
Fuel is nowhere near an all time high.
The majority of Norwegian's US-LGW passengers are American
Nobody in Europe has heard of Jetblue. They will be the weakest player in this market.

_aax1
7th Apr 2019, 19:27
Fuel is nowhere near an all time high.
The majority of Norwegian's US-LGW passengers are American
Nobody in Europe has heard of Jetblue. They will be the weakest player in this market.

Your points don't make sense, if the majority of passengers are US pax, which I don't believe they are, they would have heard of JetBlue and therefore would travel on an airline they have loyalty too. JetBlue also has an extensive connection network from JFK and BOS and will be using a more fuel efficient aircraft type if they're using the NEOs.

Vokes55
7th Apr 2019, 20:10
You don't believe they are, based on your opinion, rather than any facts. Thankfully there's still a minority of us on this website that actually work in, and have acquaintances in this industry.

Norwegian have an extensive connection network from LGW, using both their own metal and easyJet, and the 787 is significantly more fuel efficient than the majority of aircraft on the LON-NYC/BOS route. They also have brand recognition on both sides of the Atlantic, unlike jetblue, who will be relying on non-affiliated, largely leisure orientated passengers from the USA.

If you think that Norwegian, a company who already fly over 1000 passengers in each direction every day on the LGW-JFK route, have significant brand recognition and a lower (and reducing) cost base than any of the competition are suddenly going to become the "weakest player" the day jetBlue announce (or don't) flights to any London airport, then you're stupid.

edi_local
7th Apr 2019, 20:13
People here will have heard of JetBlue after they start advertising the route and eventually launch flights. They aren't a new start or some obscure company. You don't have to visit a huge US airport to see JetBlue aircraft either, anyone who has been to America will have at least a passing awareness of the airline. And anyway all that matters is price. When people search for cheap flights to the usa and jetp blueb popup they will go for it.

Norwegian and WestJe are two similar examples of foreign airlines entering the UK market and doing well without any previous awareness.

Vokes55
7th Apr 2019, 20:32
Of course, over time people on this side of the Atlantic will gain brand awareness, especially if they go all in with a huge, costly advertising campaign. However I think you're mistaken that anybody without an interest in aviation pays any attention when passing through an airport. If you asked 20 people in a UK high street if they'd heard of jetBlue today, one would probably say yes, 17 would say no, and the other two would probably say they flew with them from Manchester to Tenerife last year. Their brand awareness would increase slowly over time, but to say it's "bye bye Norwegian" the minute they choose to fly into Gatwick is moronic.

I agree that for many, it will come down to price. LON-NYC/BOS fares are already low, so undercutting the vast amount of competition in order to increase market share probably won't make jetBlue any money.

chaps1954
7th Apr 2019, 23:04
People are far more canny that you would like to think as after the recent loss of several big airlines people check who
airlines are especially the business men who like to collect their points for frequent flyer offers and are very aware of who is good and bad,
after all it only takes a click to find out same as checking on the type of aeroplane they are flying on

EI-BUD
8th Apr 2019, 20:51
You know who they are because you're a nerd on an aviation site. The majority of the UK public would assume it's a typo for or misheard Jet2.

Your comparison with Silverjet, Eos and Maxjet indicates how successful it would be. I don't think Norwegian have anything to worry about.

​It doesn't matter hugely that Jetblue are not known in London/UK, they've a great name in the US, can talk to their existing client base via email and social media, they'll sign contracts with corporates and in the UK the online travel agents will serve their purpose well, that gives them time to develop their own name in the market for direct selling. Besides they only need a small slice of the market.

mmeteesside
8th Apr 2019, 21:40
I would dare say maybe 50% (if not more) of people travelling to NYC/BOS from the UK will have heard of JetBlue

Hotel Tango
8th Apr 2019, 21:51
JetBlue are a major player in the US. Their aircraft can be seen at most major US airports. Therefore, "aviation nerd" or not, I'd say that a good proportion of regular US bound travelers will be aware of the name. Quite a number (like myself) will have used them too.

daz211
10th Apr 2019, 09:07
So today is the day the announcement is due, JFK and BOS to London ? ? ?

pamann
10th Apr 2019, 11:16
A whole day of speculation ahead as the ‘Save The Date’ party/gathering doesn’t open its doors until 1500 ET which is 2000 BST.

BHX5DME
10th Apr 2019, 12:02
JetBlue now holding LHR slots
B6331 BOS-LHR 0430
B6332 LHR-BOS 0650

pamann
10th Apr 2019, 12:09
B6331 BOS-LHR 0430
B6332 LHR-BOS 0650

B6331 is JetBlue’s PUJ-SJU service and those timings look awful. Don’t they encroach LHR’s night curfew on arrival?

Musket90
10th Apr 2019, 18:09
0430 arrival slot ! Night quota slots at Heathrow are like gold dust, much like daytime slots. I wonder if this is true.

cornishsimon
10th Apr 2019, 19:49
Surely LHR don’t use night slots routinely. These slots have to be applied for on a case by case. Day by day basis

cs

pamann
10th Apr 2019, 19:52
There’s a cake on Instagram made to look like a suitcase with UK flags and London and Paris stickers on it.
Not exactly the best kept secret.

AirportPlanner1
10th Apr 2019, 20:03
B6331 BOS-LHR 0430
B6332 LHR-BOS 0650

If this is true what’s the point? They would be far better off running a proper schedule out of STN or LTN than taking those slots purely to be at LHR.

06:50 actually has some merit because you’d be there in time for a day of work, or I imagine have a wealth of onward connections. The 04:30 arrival is far too early though.

Rutan16
10th Apr 2019, 20:09
Surely LHR don’t use night slots routinely. These slots have to be applied for on a case by case. Day by day basis

cs

No so there are 18 landing slots available pre 6am . BTW The winter 4.30 slot is/was used by BA for a Boston arrival so looks like they have gone after the remedial slots available from BA for use to Boston .Good play.

sewushr
10th Apr 2019, 20:10
A few points:

As I understand it, these are slot requests, not yet confirmed.

They have requested more than one slot pair at Heathrow

Times are GMT, so in local time, it'll be 0550 arrival and 0750 departure. Not quite such unsociable hours.

Rutan16
10th Apr 2019, 20:13
Sewushr with a winter start GMT is clock face no adding a hour ,

sewushr
10th Apr 2019, 20:20
They've applied for Summer 2019 slots. That's what I was referring to

JSCL
10th Apr 2019, 21:27
Daily flights starting 2021 to London - Mint++ product - 'a private experience, flight on a private plane to London. On JetBlue. This is truly our next defining moment.'

CabinCrewe
10th Apr 2019, 21:42
2021? meh. No London port offered?
Thought the announcement after all hype would have had more.

Charlie Roy
11th Apr 2019, 07:47
Would the hesitation around airport suggest Heathrow is not in the running?
And it suggests they're not really thinking about looking for code share opportunities...

toledoashley
11th Apr 2019, 07:52
I really did think it would going to be as vague as this. They hadn't applied to the CAA, they haven't completed a deal with any airport and they don't have ETOPS (or at least I don't think they have). Along with that they don't even have the aircraft yet - so all they could say was we are converting some of our 321neo's to LR's and we will start operations to London in 2021.

southside bobby
11th Apr 2019, 08:15
On the contrary it could be viewed a masterclass in strategy & gaming all the opposition.

That will include the rival airlines such as Delta who have already jumped & disrupts others strategic planning,the airframer as it might appear Airbus will let them upgrade to the A321XLR a much more expensive model free of charge & of course the LON airports,tho they may well know far more than they can publicise.

Time perhaps to press feeder talks in LON.

It enhances their market value in the very predatory US airline market.

It suits their purpose too as the airframes are not available until 2021.

PAXboy
11th Apr 2019, 14:59
Correct southside bobby. Whilst this may provoke others to start competing services for the most part it will mean others choose different locations. They all say that they like competition but, naturally, they all try and avoid it!

SWBKCB
11th Apr 2019, 15:31
The New York-based carrier says it is evaluating "multiple" airports in London for its service. "For commercial reasons we will hold that a bit closer to the vest, but we are confident we have a path into multiple London airports," JetBlue chief commercial officer Marty St George tells FlightGlobal.JetBlue announced earlier today it will convert 13 A321neos (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/jetblue-converts-to-13-a321lrs-commits-to-london-se-457354/) in its orderbook to A321LRs, to begin flights to London from both Boston Logan and New York John F Kennedy in 2021. The airline has said London is the largest market it currently does not serve from the US northeast.While airlines typically prefer to locate operations at a single airport in a city, the slot constraints around London's airports are keeping JetBlue's mind open, St George indicates. "If we can get acceptable accommodations at multiple airports, it's something we've thought about," he says, adding that one should not "assume as a given" that JetBlue will operate to only one airport in London."

JetBlue 'confident' of accessing London airports (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/jetblue-confident-of-accessing-london-airports-457376/)

southside bobby
24th Apr 2019, 17:32
With JetBlue predicting all 13 A321LR`s on order being delivered in 2021 & stating schedules into London Airports (plural) being planned out at the present time it has been suggested that both JFK & Boston- LON could each be flown 6 times daily.

toledoashley
24th Apr 2019, 17:35
Joanna Geraghty suggested on a podcast that further European destinations were also being evaluated, but there were concentrating on launching London first.

southside bobby
24th Apr 2019, 17:48
Would make perfect sense not to dilute the effort & resources but go in big against likes of DAL.

They regard LON as their largest unserved metropolitan destination so frequency would be key.

Charlie Roy
16th Jul 2020, 22:30
If Covid has not already put JetBlue's London plans on ice, then I think JetBlue and American Airlines hopping into bed together certainly has:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-jetblue-partnership/

intortola
17th Jul 2020, 01:40
Did you not read this bit:

Note that JetBlue isn’t joining the oneworld alliance, and when JetBlue starts flying to London (https://onemileatatime.com/jet-blue-london/), the airline won’t be part of the oneworld transatlantic joint venture.