PDA

View Full Version : Correct seat height C172

I-WEBA
1st Mar 2019, 19:21
Hello everybody!

I’m doing my ATPL and I struggle to find a reference on the correct seat height of the C172. I read that incorrect seating is primary cause of landing inconsistencies/pitch misjudgment. I found many different opinion, while the most common is: the seating which makes you more comfortable.

Can anyone of you give me some references where I can find the correct seat height or give me some advices?
thanks

RVF750
1st Mar 2019, 19:54
I honestly think that whatever is comfortable is fine, as long as you can see over the coaming and make sure you always set it the same. Just make use you can see over the nose OK.

LeadSled
1st Mar 2019, 22:05
I honestly think that whatever is comfortable is fine, as long as you can see over the coaming and make sure you always set it the same. Just make use you can see over the nose OK.

RVF750 is correct, whatever is comfortable, there is no design eye position in such an aircraft, it long, long predates even the idea of cockpit visibility design standards.
Tootle pip!!

Centaurus
1st Mar 2019, 22:29
whatever is comfortable,
So true. And don't be conned by instructors who say always have the seat arm rests down (whatever aircraft type you happen to be flying). That is their personal opinion only. As per previous advice, it is whatever is comfortable for you.

Check Airman
2nd Mar 2019, 02:13
As others have said, whatever is comfortable. At this stage, it's probably best to find something comfortable, and (more importantly) keep it consistent. When you've figured out how to fly the thing, then experiment with different heights.

As an example, in a 172, I have the seat all the way up. I can't land or do manoeuvres if I can't see where I'm going. In my current airplane (Airbus) I sit higher for takeoff, and lower for landings. My previous jet, I sat high all the time.

Until you find out what works for sure, comfort and consistency are key.

stilton
3rd Mar 2019, 09:06
When you sit higher you tend to flare higher, as your eyes are at a higher level, in jet transports where seat and eye position are important I’ve found that the lowest seat position that gives me good sighting over the nose has consistently given me better landings

Capt Fathom
3rd Mar 2019, 09:13
C172’s have all the mod cons these days! The ones I flew didn’t have adjustable height seats!

India Four Two
3rd Mar 2019, 12:42
I regularly fly a C182 and I crank the seat up until my headset just touches the headliner and then wind it down a bit. That gives me the best view over the very high instrument panel.

B2N2
4th Mar 2019, 05:23
In the context of your ATPL what they are referring to is eye reference height or design eye height as there are several different names for the same concept.
Manufacturers determine this based on instrument position amongst other things.
Transport category cockpits have a reference symbol that you use to adjust your seat.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x480/image_18ee5cae56c8ca3e96c32497da4d81d7632a7f3a.png

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x768/image_2f47a707ac1817d33c4a6a039c481c22fa321a33.jpeg

In a light general aviation aircraft it’s a little more obvious as to what it needs to be and ‘official guidance’ is not required.
You just need to be able to see over the cowling sufficiently for take off and landing.

mustafagander
4th Mar 2019, 08:59
For me it is always about repeatability.
On the big jets there is a system of some sort to get the eye height right but not on the bug smashers.
Find a seat position that works for you and relate it to other cockpit features so that you can replicate it every time and it's all good.
For me the seat height in a C172 is related to my flight plan folder height and seat fore/aft to my arms length closed fist. Works for me.