PDA

View Full Version : Expat joining SunExpress Turkey (non tr/low hour) - Whats it like?

lhc7664
1st Mar 2019, 14:13
Good evening everyone,

I´m invited to do the Mollymawk test in Antalya for SunExpress, and trying to get in contact with people already working there. There´s very limited information available out there, and especially wondering what the t/c´s are like for new comers joining with no t/r and no airline experience?

Do they offer a bond for the type rating?
Is salary from day one of training?
Whats the salary like? (During - and after training)
Is accommodation provided during training?

Would be great if anyone would share his or her thoughts on joining SunExpress as expats - how´s life in general in Antalya/Izmir/Istanbul?

I appreciate any inputs and information very much indeed!

Looking forward to hear from you,
Lhc

Clandestino
2nd Mar 2019, 05:51
I got a bit puzzled by "There´s very limited information available out there" as I found info on this (https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/487196-sunexpress-recruitment.html) & that (https://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/610114-sunexpress-turkey.html) thread pretty useful, if not always up to date, but then I noticed you are mentioning "low hour" and "no airline experience" while these threads are mostly dealing with non-type rated direct entry captains.

So, if I understood you correctly: you got the invitation for assessment for F/O position as someone not connected with Stella Aviation (or whatever is its name nowadays) or Türk Cumhuriyeti at all?

Anyway, congratulations!

My advice would be to take assessment very seriously, prepare well and do the homework assigned. Yes, it sounds trivial but most people I've seen rejected failed to do that.

Life in Türkiye? Whatever you make out of it. Costs of living are pretty low, Antalya and İzmir are pretty fine if you are into sun & sea. If you are coming from likes of Germany or the Netherlands, Turkish way of doing things may drive you crazy. For me, even dealing with Turkish bureaucracy was major improvement compared to what I had back home in Our Beautiful Homeland of Postcommunist Corruptia.

İyi şanslar abi!

lhc7664
4th Mar 2019, 07:18
Hi Clandestino,

Thank you very much for your reply! Do you work for SunExpress yourself?

So, if I understood you correctly: you got the invitation for assessment for F/O position as someone not connected with Stella Aviation (or whatever is its name nowadays) or Türk Cumhuriyeti at all?

Thats correct. I´m not associated with any of them in any way. Fresh out of a Scandinavian flight school with one year experience in flying MEP´s around in Europe.

I´ll continue practicing the Mollymawk, Math and Science and do my best!

uberfly
5th Mar 2019, 13:18
Sun does Type Rating bonding. Salary is very decent and numbers in pilotjobsnetwork is reflecting the real T&C.

Clandestino
9th Mar 2019, 17:50
Thank you very much for your reply! Birşey değil.
Do you work for SunExpress yourself?The fifth amendment applies.
Thats correct. I´m not associated with any of them in any way. Thanks for the info; I had no idea HR folks at XQ are now casting their nets so wide when trying to catch fresh FOs. I have some friends that might need career lifeline soon and methinks XQ is not bad place to be at all.

I'm not sure what would be the terms of your contract as your sıtuatıon ıs pretty new; as far as I remember XQ HR had no problem with providing all the interesting details of the contract that awaited successful applicants before we hit Mollymawk. What they will be also looking for is your ability to adapt to livıng in Turkey. Unfortunately, I can't help you there a lot; I'm a commuter and while I found working here quite easy, full time living in TC is just something I haven't tried yet.

lhc7664
14th Mar 2019, 11:43
Thanks for all your inputs Clandestino! Really appreciated!

trancada
14th Mar 2019, 16:02
Ihc7664 i tried to buy the access to Mollymawk tests , i couldn’t fin out , how to do it. Can you help me?

poldek77
14th Mar 2019, 16:59
Ihc7664 i tried to buy the access to Mollymawk tests , i couldn’t fin out , how to do it. Can you help me?

I suppose you have tried this site, haven't you?
https://www.mollymawk.de/

Some years ago before my assessment the company that I had applied to assigned me to do these tests. The access opened early enough to prepare in advance, the package included some training sessions, if I remember correctly - 3 for each part were mandatory but I could practise as much as I wanted.
Also for spacial orientation you can use an app, it’s name is Lumosity, the application includes lots of games, but the one you may try is Penguin Pursuit.
Hope it helps.

trancada
15th Mar 2019, 16:18
Thakns for your help

David Tsuung
13th Feb 2020, 08:33
i am non Turkish, rated on the NG, no experience on type, with ICAO license, Is it worth the try to apply ?

Akrep
20th Feb 2020, 04:20
i am non Turkish, rated on the NG, no experience on type, with ICAO license, Is it worth the try to apply ?
the only foreign licence sxs accepts is easa as far as I know, or Turkish licence.

Since the process of converting to easa is time consuming you might want to look into if you can convert to a Turkish licence from the dgca in Ankara and apply with that.

Don't know the requirements for converting but it is an option worth exploring.

David Tsuung
20th Feb 2020, 04:36
Thanks Akrep for the useful suggestion.

dirtyrat
22nd Feb 2020, 05:34
I did the NTR assessment 4 years ago for a job based in Izmir or Antalya.
I was offered a job, but on reading the contract, it said that my base would be Ankara, and any months of my 3 year contract that I didn't fulfill, I would owe them the proposed salary for those months (yes, as in +£200k). It was kind of hidden away too in the small print. I rang HR, who confirmed it, said there was no way to change it, but would offer me a 2 year contract instead.
Not sure if it's still the same, but if you get a job offer, read the contract 10 times before you sign it. Especially the part about leaving early.

For the tests, make sure you do ALL the practice sessions they give you access to. I didn't have a great 'maths' test, but they commented that they were pleased that I had done all of the practicing.
Cheers and good luck.

David Tsuung
22nd Feb 2020, 19:41
I did the NTR assessment 4 years ago for a job based in Izmir or Antalya.
I was offered a job, but on reading the contract, it said that my base would be Ankara, and any months of my 3 year contract that I didn't fulfill, I would owe them the proposed salary for those months (yes, as in +£200k). It was kind of hidden away too in the small print. I rang HR, who confirmed it, said there was no way to change it, but would offer me a 2 year contract instead.
Not sure if it's still the same, but if you get a job offer, read the contract 10 times before you sign it. Especially the part about leaving early.

For the tests, make sure you do ALL the practice sessions they give you access to. I didn't have a great 'maths' test, but they commented that they were pleased that I had done all of the practicing.
Cheers and good luck.
very useful insights @ dirtyrat