PDA

View Full Version : ATSB Report on Tiger Moth stall/spin fatal accident

Centaurus
1st Mar 2019, 06:48
Another Tiger Moth stall/spin fatal accident. There have been a few of these in the past decade. None of these Tiger Moths had auto slats installed; their owners having removed them to decrease maintenance costs. These stall warning devices were very effective with their loud clacking as the slats moved in and out when the aircraft was approaching the stall.

In the accident concerned, the loud stall warning noise would have alerted the pilot to the impending danger in time for him to take recovery action and at least force land under control, rather than be caught by surprise and stall/spin at low altitude. As the old age says, if you think flight safety is expensive, try an accident.

How much would it cost owners of Tiger Moths to re-install auto slats as a safety measure?
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-150/

Cloudee
1st Mar 2019, 07:03
There are a lot of aircraft out there managing to avoid stalling without slats. I’d say there is a lot more in that report relevant to the incident than the slats.

Vag277
1st Mar 2019, 07:45
Pilot says he applied opposite rudder but no indication of forward stick.

Capt Fathom
1st Mar 2019, 09:57
Pilot says he applied opposite rudder but no indication of forward stick.

Forward stick. That would be difficult to do at 200 feet and probably at least saved the pilots life by not doing so! There was no recovery from that height.

cowl flaps
1st Mar 2019, 11:08
Looking at the aerial view of the flight path of the aircraft in the ATSB report, why did he attempt to turn left when a gentle right turn would have put him over a clear paddock, and maybe not have resulted in a stall ?

R755
1st Mar 2019, 11:46
Aggressive forward stick would have been required. The pitch over needed to be aggressive to unload the wings and minimise speed loss. This was no time to look into the cockpit. Eyes on the target!. At the very least, a landing straight ahead, into the trees/scrub, could have been achieved at a modest ground speed.
The poor fellow might not have, during his type training, grasped the absolute importance of performing an aggressive pitch over, followed by a low speed accident into wind.
I vote in favour of Handley-Page auto slats. In addition to the noise, they provide the pilot with a wonderful visual depiction of stall development.

sablatnic
1st Mar 2019, 11:47
Whenever the conversation touches Tiger Moths and spins I can't help thinking of this photo:
https://www.waggabiketyres.com/The%20Canon%201.jpg

Octane
1st Mar 2019, 15:40
Whenever the conversation touches Tiger Moths and spins I can't help thinking of this photo:
https://www.waggabiketyres.com/The%20Canon%201.jpg

How the hell did he survive that?!

aroa
1st Mar 2019, 21:24
For Race 15. Is that what they call a straight -in approach ?

LeadSled
1st Mar 2019, 22:22
How the hell did he survive that?!

Folks,
That was one of three that flew formation aeros from the Tiger Club, based at Redhill, Surrey, UK in those days. The Canon, Deacon and Bishop. Maybe they had God on their side??
In about 1963, at Biggin Hill. somebody spun a Tiger in, on the field doing aeros overhead, both pilots survived, just bruises and cuts and scratches. --- the steel tube fuselage, really good harnesses and very slow speeds ---- it's Vsquared wot gets ya!!
Tootle pip!!

megan
1st Mar 2019, 23:19
Stall warning systems were not a feature on British aircraft, if Auster & Chipmunk were any guide. Fail to see why Tigers should have slats fitted, they were a buyers option after all. Military probably fitted them as a make work item for ab initio training, instilling cockpit check procedures. We had similar make work items imposed during ab initio, no flap landings if a flag was flying beside the runway van, canopy open at certain stages of flight, both for no good reason, other than to instil discipline.

The aircraft in the OP's link had slats, you can see the left plainly extended.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertfrola/24091814385

With only a little over seven hours in the Tiger, the pilot would have had little experience with the aircrafts characteristics, low power, high drag, small speed range, factors pointed out in the report. Was he even aware of the slats "clacking", I certainly don't recall it now from my nearly six decades ago experience, it certainly wasn't a subject of the endorsement.

Centaurus
2nd Mar 2019, 11:53
The aircraft in the OP's link had slats, you can see the left plainly extended.

Thanks Megan. First time I have seen that photo and you are right it did have slats fitted. Obviously owner option.
With only a little over seven hours in the Tiger, the pilot would have had little experience with the aircrafts characteristics, low power, high drag, small speed range, factors pointed out in the report.
That would suggest that whoever certified the pilot as competent to act in command on the TIger Moth neglected to ensure all the factors you mentioned were adequately covered.
The following extract is of interest from the book by Stephen Slater called De Havilland Tiger Moth 1931-1945 (all marks) Owners' Workshop Manual. Page 49-50 refers.
Quote:
"The upper wings of the majority of Tiger Moths are fitted with a further ingenious device to improve low-speed handling. Aerofoil-shaped slats (or 'slots') on the upper wings are held against the leading edge of the wing by air pressure in normal flight, but at speeds below around 60 mph(100kph) they progressively extend by 3in (75mm), encouraging the airflow to remain attached over the top surface of the outer wing, thereby slightly delaying the stall and making it more gentle when it occurs.

The slats which can be manually locked closed by a control on the right side of the rear cockpit, to avoid sudden deployment during aerobatics or unnecessary wear and tear when taxiing - were developed by another British aircraft designer, Sir Frederick Handley-Page. In addition to the cost of the slats and their controls, de Havilland had to pay a royalty of 38 pounds eleven shillings and sixpence on every set fitted as an extra cost option on pre-war Tiger Moths. However, all RAF-specification aeroplanes had them fitted." Unquote.

Icarus2001
3rd Mar 2019, 07:27
I have several hundred hours in the Tiger Moth and all of them with the slats locked. If the lack of wind in your face does not give you an idea of speed and the view does not tell you something about the AoA then you probably should not be flying one.

CHAIRMAN
3rd Mar 2019, 11:11
https://www.waggabiketyres.com/The%20Canon%201.jpg (https://www.waggabiketyres.com/The%20Canon%201.jpg)
It was Lewis Benjamin I think, still writes in the Moth Club Magazine. He did spend some time in the hospital, apparently denying the newspaper reports he was killed in the crash.
Reading his exploits I reckon the guy has nine lives.

sheppey
3rd Mar 2019, 13:36
I have several hundred hours in the Tiger Moth
Me too. Military and civil. Because they go unreported, you will never know how many lives have been saved because of their aural and visual warning characteristics. Good insurance and well worth any additional expense.

Cloudee
4th Mar 2019, 06:15
I think it’s been shown this aircraft had slats so it’s a moot point if they save lives. Apparently not in this case. Of more interest is that the minimum type training required by this company was 5 hours. The accident pilot had less than this. The minimum tailwheel time required by the operator and by the insurance company was 25 hours. The accident pilot had less than this. The full length of the runway was not useable due to long grass. No lawnmower? The pilot made a substantial turn to the left 2 seconds after take off followed by a turn back to the right to give more time to gain height to fly over obstacles. The young pilot had no supervision or help on this day, he had to get out of this aircraft with the motor running twice.

B2N2
4th Mar 2019, 06:51
If anything it shows you that an accident has many facets and can be days or weeks or months in the making.
None of the following are a clear cause but have contributed in a small part

low time on type
tall grass preventing use of full length
gusty wind conditions
questionable turns right after take off

roundsounds
4th Mar 2019, 07:21
If anything it shows you that an accident has many facets and can be days or weeks or months in the making.
None of the following are a clear cause but have contributed in a small part

low time on type
tall grass preventing use of full length
gusty wind conditions
questionable turns right after take off

It is interesting the carburettor float coating was cracked. There have been a number of accidents involving Tigers over the years following unexplained engine failures. Have a read of this article, also note CASA have not issued any airworthiness advices to the best of my knowledge.
If you have a crack in the varnish, fuel can get into the cork, as it heats up it will expand and may result in the float sticking causing a rich or lean mixture.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/446x1242/017e12dd_d38b_4207_bb33_a329cb64efa7_e4d9fbdb53d1a154ebdc7ee e36449ba4bf4007d8.jpeg

megan
4th Mar 2019, 22:29
I think it’s been shown this aircraft had slats so it’s a moot point if they save lives. Apparently not in this case.Agree it's really moot Cloudee. Stall/spin accidents feature regularly in accident reports, and that's with modern aircraft fitted with stall warning systems. The US had 2,015 stall accidents between 2000 and 2014, and stalls account for nearly 25% of fatal accidents.

Unfortunately too, spin training is no longer part of the curriculum, few aircraft are cleared for spinning.

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/files/aopa/home/pilot-resources/safety-and-proficiency/accident-analysis/special-reports/stall_spin.pdf?la=en

runway16
5th Mar 2019, 02:56
Not stated to date is that, as I recall, the pilot, although a new graduate to the Tiger Moth, had recently flown a Cirrus SR-22 around the world.

A big difference in the handling of a DH82 Tiger Moth and a Cirrus CR-22.

fatboywings
8th Mar 2019, 05:21
It has been pointed out by a few posters regarding the pilot having very little time on type, the weather conditions and some interesting manoeuvres after takeoff.

in regards to slats, as the person whom started the thread stated. Yes slats are in the POH as a stall warning device. They also assist in decreasing the published power off stall speed by 2 or 3 knots, depending on the rigging of the tiger moth. The stall speed with power on is published at 25knots and a Tigermoth can comfortably be flown in S and L at 30 knots or less by a pilot with sufficient training on type by an instructor with knowledge and experience on type. Also in contradiction of the initial post, war time tigers built in Australia were supplied with slats. They were not an after market option as suggested.

the ATSB, after approx 40 months have returned some interesting facts.

Fact 1. A minimum of 5 hours training was required by the operator in the ops manual. The operator claims that they operate to a charter standard. Firstly the minimum requirements for charter is 10hours on type, and, secondary the pilot had less than 5 hours training on type and less than 10hours total time on type. Further research beyond the ATSB report will find that the person doing the training held a PPL and the training was pre part 61. (Meaning a ppl could not hold an instructor rating.)

Fact 2. The insurance company required time on tail Wheel was 25hours minimum. The pilot was performing duties with less than the required 25hours. (One would assume that this has rendered the insurance void.)

Fact 3. The pilot performed duties autonomous with no ground crew resulting in the passenger been strapped in and alone on the aircraft with the engine running on 3 occasions before take off. To pony out the obvious, this is a major breach. The question must be asked, is this an instruction from the company and considered normal operations?

Fact 4. The pilot performed a left hand turn 2 seconds after takeoff at a reported height of 20 to 40feet. (After several test and discussions with pilots having between 600+ and 8,000 hours on tigers, the height at which this turn commenced would be 8’ to 10’.) as mentioned in the ATSB report there would be little to no advantage in gain of altitude by these turns. (Furthermore, some comments from high time instructors, were, that they believed that the series of turns were a procedure turn been the precursor to a downwind ‘beatup’.)

Fact 5. The ATSB found through video footage of the flight that the wind sock was indicating 10 - 15knots down the cross strip used in the fatal flight. This is well within the limits of the planes capabilities and would result in an adequate climb rate to clear any obstacles identified within the limits of an ALA. the westpac rescue helicopter pilot stated above tree level albeit, about an hour later that it was 30-35knots above tree level. It should also be noted that Coolangatta was diverting flights due strong winds.

Fact 6. The pilot stated that he had used the cross strip many times before. This statement is quite interesting as the pilot had a total of less that 8 hours on type at that aerodrome. Is many 10 times, 30 times or more than 50?

the ATSB report has raised some serious concerns with either the system in place and approved by CASA to a self administration body, or rather the operators gross misconduct after performing inadequate training to meet their own operations manual and not ensuring the pilot meets the minimum standard for the insurance.

this accident is tainted with gross misconduct by several parties with the result being grievous bodily harm resulting in the death of an innocent passenger and serious injury’s to the young pilot.

you can continue talking about slats and the unsafe nature of a classic trainer, or, draw your own conclusions by reading the report in full. Either way, our industry has experienced another set back and a tragic loss of life which should not have even occurred.

desert goat
8th Mar 2019, 06:16
Firstly the minimum requirements for charter is 10hours on type

Are you sure about that?

fatboywings
8th Mar 2019, 06:56
Yes. The minimum time on type is 10hours. Also when you state a minimum time of training on type, that should be done not a lesser amount.

Centaurus
8th Mar 2019, 11:33
and 8,000 hours on tigers,
That must surely be a world record if true..

fatboywings
8th Mar 2019, 17:58
That must surely be a world record if true..
it would be close, probably highest time still alive. He is 90+ years old and did a lot of training back in the day. He was also an ATO with 14,000 flight test in his log books when he retired.

Dora-9
8th Mar 2019, 18:11
fatboywings:

Post #21 is spot-on!

Horatio Leafblower
8th Mar 2019, 19:19
Yes. The minimum time on type is 10hours.

Fatboywings,
you will find CAO 82.1 Para 4 stipulates minimum experience on type for Charter operations on Multi-engine aircraft and SE Turbine aircraft. These requirements are 5 hours time on type for VFR ops and 10 hours time on type for IFR. If the aircraft was operating under AWAL "Adventure Flight" rules, I am not familiar with those to comment.

The above notwithstanding, you make some excellent points about the wider organisational factors that contributed to the accident. Good post.

fatboywings
8th Mar 2019, 23:25
Fatboywings,
you will find CAO 82.1 Para 4 stipulates minimum experience on type for Charter operations on Multi-engine aircraft and SE Turbine aircraft. These requirements are 5 hours time on type for VFR ops and 10 hours time on type for IFR. If the aircraft was operating under AWAL "Adventure Flight" rules, I am not familiar with those to comment.

The above notwithstanding, you make some excellent points about the wider organisational factors that contributed to the accident. Good post.

hi,
i stand corrected. Thankyou

megan
9th Mar 2019, 01:07
They were not an after market option as suggested Slats were an option available to the purchaser for a new build aircraft ie when you placed your order with de Havilland. But I'm sure it would not be beyond the abilities of an organisation to convert a non slatted aircraft into one so fitted.

fatboywings
9th Mar 2019, 02:20
Slats were an option available to the purchaser for a new build aircraft ie when you placed your order with de Havilland. But I'm sure it would not be beyond the abilities of an organisation to convert a non slatted aircraft into one so fitted.

the previous sentence states that wartime tigers were fitted with slats. For those tigers built at Mascot they were not an aftermarket option.

megan
9th Mar 2019, 04:24
For those tigers built at Mascot they were not an aftermarket optionAll the Australian built Tigers were for the RAAF, save 18 for the USAAF and 41 for the RIAF, and the purchasers opted for slats. Slats were never offered as an after market option by any Tiger manufacturer that I'm aware.

From 1931 article - The following special equipment is supplied at extra cost when it is desired to use the machine for duties other training:— Ten-gallon auxiliary petrol tank (larger auxiliary tanks can be supplied at the expense of other load); bomb racks to carry four 20-lb. bombs, complete with release gear ; bomb sight ; camera gun ; gun sight ;Marconi A.D. 22 wireless apparatus ; P. 14 camera with slides and envelopes ; parachutes ; Handley-Page automatic wing tip slots ; slot-locking device, operated from cockpit ;metal airscrew ; navigation lighting ; turn indicator ;drinking-water tank ; ration boxes; floats

My mount, courtesy of owner John Henderson, was the 78th aircraft off the Mascot line.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x526/dh82_ueq_ad_9_62kkk_e2901697b12c6a334d839d02bfe7b4a71b2ae010 .jpg

fatboywings
9th Mar 2019, 04:50
All the Australian built Tigers were for the RAAF, save 18 for the USAAF and 41 for the RIAF, and the purchasers opted for slats. Slats were never offered as an after market option by any Tiger manufacturer that I'm aware.

From 1931 article -

My mount, courtesy of owner John Henderson, was the 78th aircraft off the Mascot line.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x526/dh82_ueq_ad_9_62kkk_e2901697b12c6a334d839d02bfe7b4a71b2ae010 .jpg

nice mount. To clear things up, yes all Australian tigers were built with slats, this was standard for Australian tigers no options were given. We also had a ply leading edge not a false rib and GM built engines. We had no choice.

Cloudee
9th Mar 2019, 05:21
All the Australian built Tigers were for the RAAF, save 18 for the USAAF and 41 for the RIAF, and the purchasers opted for slats. Slats were never offered as an after market option by any Tiger manufacturer that I'm aware.

From 1931 article -

VH-UEQ is still flying in South Australia. It has been flying quite safely without slats for many years I’m told.

Centaurus
9th Mar 2019, 08:18
VH-UEQ is still flying in South Australia. It has been flying quite safely without slats for many years I’m told.

I hate to say this but seriously that is such a wide generalisation as to be worthless.

Cloudee
9th Mar 2019, 08:23
Thanks for the feedback. I could say that the premise of this thread was then similarly worthless given it appears the aircraft in question did have slats.

Centaurus
10th Mar 2019, 03:08
bomb racks to carry four 20-lb. bombs, complete with release gear ;
Back in the 1961 era I had a RAAF staff job in Victoria Barracks St Kilda Rd, Melbourne. The then Command Flight Manuals officer was Sqn Ldr Basil Rachinger DFC. He won the DFC in England during WW2. He told of the time he was in England in 1944 and was sent on a Survival Course in Kent. He and a couple of others were dropped off by truck in the countryside and given 48 hours to find their way back to home base. Because of the threat of German paratroops landing in Kent, all road sign posts had been removed so the survivors had to somehow navigate their way back home. Basil was creeping along hedges and avoiding people when he saw an RAFaerodrome and noticed a Tiger Moth in a hangar. The Tiger Moth was fitted with small bombs under the wings to drop on enemy troops if needed. There was no guard to be seen. That evening Basil and another pilot stole the Tiger Moth.. They eventually landed at an airfield close to their base. As the Moth rolled to a stop, an ATC bloke followed them in his jeep firing red verey lights. The word had got around that someone had pinched a Tiger Moth and bases were alerted.

As soon as the Tiger Moth stopped on the airfield, the two occupants hopped out and ran away, leaving the Tiger Moth engine running. It started to move under its own power. The ATC was torn between chasing the fugitives or chasing the Tiger Moth before it ran into something. At the same time two RAF Mosquito fighter bombers were returning from a mission over Occupied France and had to go around because of the pilotless bombed-up Tiger Moth going in circles on the field. The two fugitives finally arrived back to their base and were arrested for stealing His Majesty's aircraft - namely the Tiger Moth.
A most unlikely senior officer turned up at their Courts Martial and gave evidence that as CO of the Tiger Moth airfield he had objected having a bombed up Tiger Moth in his care. He had lodged objections to the Air Ministry saying it would be easy for anyone to pinch the Tiger Moth and drop its bombs on anyone. The Air Ministry had overruled his objection and left the bombed up Tiger Moth with no guard.

Now that two RAF pilots on the run during a survival exercise had proved how easy it was to steal the Moth and fly away, it could have been escaped German prisoners of war that swiped the Moth and set sail for Germany.
The Court of Inquiry dropped all charges.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th Mar 2019, 08:14
And so they should have...……

The officers concerned simply 'showed initiative'...….IMHO...

Cheers..

Pinky the pilot
10th Mar 2019, 08:59
The officers concerned simply 'showed initiative'.

Isn't such a thing (showing initiative) positively discouraged in some circles of Aviation Griffo?:confused::E

Btw, how are ya Mate?:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th Mar 2019, 09:10
Still Vertical Mr Pinks….Still Vertical……..
CHEERSSS.....

roundsounds
10th Mar 2019, 21:17
I cannot see anywhere in the thread or report any mention of the slats being lockable. Although the slats are designed to automatically deploy at high angles of attack, they can be locked with a control in the rear cockpit, which is SOP for aerobatics. I would normally leave the slats unlocked for takeoff and landing, unless the crosswind was near the limit.

fatboywings
19th Mar 2019, 20:05
I guess we now wait for the coronial inquest. Does anyone know how long it takes from the report released by the ATSB till the inquest is scheduled?

Judd
20th Mar 2019, 14:14
I would normally leave the slats unlocked for takeoff and landing, unless the crosswind was near the limit.
That was the correct procedure taught at RAAF flying training schools in the 1950's. However there was nothing about crosswinds and associated slat use in the Pilots Notes for the type. Methinks it sounds like someone's personal opinion rather than the manufacturer's recommended procedure? .

roundsounds
20th Mar 2019, 18:29
That was the correct procedure taught at RAAF flying training schools in the 1950's. However there was nothing about crosswinds and associated slat use in the Pilots Notes for the type. Methinks it sounds like someone's personal opinion rather than the manufacturer's recommended procedure? .
You are correct the RAAF pilot notes state slats are to be unlocked for takeoff and landing. However the aircraft were never operated on sealed runways and were fitted with tail skids and had no brakes, this resulted in them being very limited in any crosswind. The Tigers I flew commercially all had brakes and tailwheels and often flown in crosswinds at the limit. After a few near wing tip scrapes during early takeoff roll / late landing roll, I found locking the slats reduced the tendency to lift a wing. Part of my Tiger pre takeoff and landing checks involves considering slats locked / unlocked based on observed crosswind.

Nuasea
21st Mar 2019, 06:46
Although fuel analysis revealed no indication of water, it was always the RAF practice to fill Chipmunk fuel tanks completely at the end of the day’s flying to avoid condensation within the tanks collecting st the bottom. By the pilots own admission, this was never done with his aircraft so could water droplets have entered the carburettor during the take off and caused the loss in power.

desert goat
21st Mar 2019, 10:26
Although fuel analysis revealed no indication of water, it was always the RAF practice to fill Chipmunk fuel tanks completely at the end of the day’s flying to avoid condensation within the tanks collecting st the bottom. By the pilots own admission, this was never done with his aircraft so could water droplets have entered the carburettor during the take off and caused the loss in power.

All good in theory, except that in this day and age leaving an aircraft full of fuel overnight just increases the likelyhood that your fuel will go missing overnight. As to whether it could have been a factor, well of course it "could" have been....as could an awful lot of other things. Which is why we have ATSB investigators whose job it is to mull it over.

Nuasea
21st Mar 2019, 18:39
All good in theory, except that in this day and age leaving an aircraft full of fuel overnight just increases the likelyhood that your fuel will go missing overnight. As to whether it could have been a factor, well of course it "could" have been....as could an awful lot of other things. Which is why we have ATSB investigators whose job it is to mull it over.
You are very dismissive of a known fact they may not have considered.

Nuasea
21st Mar 2019, 23:42
Did the ATSB consider carb icing? What was the temperature and humidity?

Nuasea
22nd Mar 2019, 00:02
temp was around 24C. Dew point unknown.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/pilots/download/carburettor_icing_chart.pdf

j3pipercub
22nd Mar 2019, 02:40
What are you trying to prove?

Nuasea
22nd Mar 2019, 17:26
What are you trying to prove?
Eliminate carb icing as the cause of the loss of engine power.

desert goat
23rd Mar 2019, 00:46
Well, if you wish to involve yourself in the investigation then here is some information as to how you can best go about it.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/about_atsb/employment/

megan
23rd Mar 2019, 01:10
Did the ATSB consider carb icing? What was the temperature and humidity?No need to. The Gipsy in the Tiger runs on "hot" air all the time, there is no "carb air hot/cold" selector.

Nuasea
23rd Mar 2019, 02:04
No need to. The Gipsy in the Tiger runs on "hot" air all the time, there is no "carb air hot/cold" selector.
Thank you for the information but note that hot air is not available at full power, see NZ incident that follows

Cloudee
23rd Mar 2019, 02:14
There was a similar accident in NZ a few years ago and this was their comment on the carburettor:

”The Gypsy Major engine employs automatic carburettor heat, in the form of a spring-loaded butterfly valve, interconnected with the throttle control so that at full throttle cold air is admitted, but at cruise, warm air from the engine bay is admitted through a flame trap. The spring applies 4-5 kg of load to keep the valve in the warm air position in cruise. If the throttle friction nut is not firmly applied before take-off, the spring will cause the throttle to back off if the pilot’s hand is removed from it.”
https://www.caa.govt.nz/Accidents_and_Incidents/Accident_Reports/ZK-DHA_Fatal_18Oct2003.pdf

Pinky the pilot
24th Mar 2019, 06:10
The following has absolutely nothing to do with the actual subject of the thread, but some fellow ppruners may find it interesting;

As I type this there is a glass of a good Barossa Shiraz in front of me..:D oh yes, and my late Father's RAAF log book.:=

On the first page it notes that he flew his first solo at No 1 EFTS Parafield, in DH 82 AM-624 on August 9th 1943, having previously logged 10hrs 50 minutes Flying Instruction time. His Instructor was for the most part a F/O Craven.

I remember Dad telling me that he sang out loud to himself for the entire circuit!:D

I also remember one of his favourite sayings which related across to being a Glider Instructor many years later was,
I saw him crash, I saw him burn.
He held off bank in a Gliding turn.

His relation of the story of the Yankee Marauder Pilot who crashed his aircraft off the end of one runway is a story for another thread.

flywatcher
24th Mar 2019, 23:19
In my younger days in Tigers and Austers I was always told "Hold off bank in a gliding turn, and you will surely crash and burn." It must have taken a lot of lives to produce that little rhyme, it is surely one that was written in blood.

Centaurus
25th Mar 2019, 08:22
Tigermoth can comfortably be flown in S and L at 30 knots or less by a pilot with sufficient training on type by an instructor with knowledge and experience on type.
Wouldn't the position error at that angle of attack make the IAS an unreliable indication of the real airspeed?

jonkster
25th Mar 2019, 09:18
On the first page it notes that he flew his first solo at No 1 EFTS Parafield, in DH 82 AM-624 on August 9th 1943, having previously logged 10hrs 50 minutes Flying Instruction time. His Instructor was for the most part a F/O Craven.

I also remember one of his favourite sayings which related across to being a Glider Instructor many years later was,
I saw him crash, I saw him burn.
He held off bank in a Gliding turn.

I remember that rhyme!

Slightly different wording: "watch him spin, watch him burn, held off bank in a gliding turn". I still tell some of my students it, so it lives on.

It was told to me by my father, when I was learning to fly.

Reading your post and that long remembered rhyme made me hunt up his log book.

He did his first solo in A17-451 after being sent by F/O Stevens. Most of his training was by Sgt Irvine.
(10 EFTS Temora, Nov 1942.)

It took him 5 minutes longer than yours though. Dad needed 10:55 dual :)

fatboywings
28th Mar 2019, 19:40
Wouldn't the position error at that angle of attack make the IAS an unreliable indication of the real airspeed?
not necessarily. The tiger will become airborne at about 25 knots and you are know where near a 3 point attitude. How ever, there is some merit to what you say at high angles of attack. At IAS of about 28knots or less at high AOA the the instrument can read zero.