PDA

View Full Version : BAe flight systems school Jerez Spain

Harves
27th Feb 2001, 20:31
Still looking for anyone with any knowledge of the British Aerospace ATPL course in Spain. I am particularly comparing it to OATS.

It all looks pretty good to me but if anyonec can tell me otherwise, it would be much appreciated.

moggie
6th Mar 2001, 15:03
Harves - I may be biased (I work there!) but the BAE deal is cheaper as we include food and accomodation. The BA cadets we get here say that our food/accom beat the pants off of OATS!

We are also doing more work for airlines like AER Lingus who find OATS inflexible. It's also worth noting the constant whinges about self sponsored guys getting held back at Oxford to allow sponsored cadets to finish on time.

jlms
6th Mar 2001, 22:24
Moggie.

Can one accomodate and feed himself and get those knocked off the price of the ATPL course in BAE Jerez?

Thanks.

jlms

Brewster
8th Mar 2001, 17:05
Moggie

Who should I talk to about working at Jerez as an Instructor?

Harves
8th Mar 2001, 17:21
Thanks Moggie. I accepted BAE's offer to start in April Yesterday. It looked too good to miss.

To be honest, my only concern all along had been the quality of training compared to OATS and the clout it held with the airlines(being self sponsored)compatred to OATS.

Still, hopefully meet you there in April.

[This message has been edited by Harves (edited 08 March 2001).]

Capt Wannabe
9th Mar 2001, 13:02
I really don't think you have anything to worry about concerning the quality of training. Certainly the flying side is very well sorted, and the groudschool results are getting better all the time.
The only downer is the crap weather we've had since November.
Anyway, see you in April and if you want any more details let me know.

------------------
CW

Harves
9th Mar 2001, 14:05
Appreciate that Captain Wannabe,

I take it you have seen the "What is the story at OATS" thread. What a mess. Like I said, all the comments coming out of Jerez have been the same and honest. It seems the only major problem was the ground school (weather excepted). It sounds far less political.

Any views on airline interest in self sponsored BAE gruduates? How much clout do they hold in comparison to OATS?

Anyway, as I said, I have accepted the offer and it seems highly unlikely that I will be swung back to OATS in a few days. So thanks CW and look forward to seeing you there.

Harves

PS CW, read your posting from when you were trying to decide last year - good to hear you are happy with your decision.

[This message has been edited by Harves (edited 09 March 2001).]

Capt Wannabe
10th Mar 2001, 14:39
Yes, on the whole I am happy with the decision.
Regarding employment, if you look at the last advert in Flight, you will see the claim that 100% of students who graduated in December are now in employment. This is quite true, although there were only four or five. They were the first course (JAR) to graduate from here, and from what I gather the school was very helpful towards them.
Concerning the ground school, I think it is fair to say that it is just about sorted out now, and as long as you put in the work you will get the rewards.

Harves, do you know if your course is starting with full-time groundschool for four months or will you be flying in the earlier stages?

------------------
CW

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Mar 2001, 23:13
Well I only recently stopped instructing there and would recommend the school to you without reservation as long as you can handle a year away from home. Those with significant partners find it a slight issue being 1100 miles from home.

Otherwise its excellent. THey are throwing money at the facilities and they are on of the few schools where aircraft availability is never a problem. Pass rates are good and its cheaper than comparable courses when you factor EVERYTHING in like food, accom.

Which school you went to makes little difference on your CV - however BAe is as good as OATS anyday to the interviewing Chief Pilot. They train Aer Lingus, Airtours and British Airways cadets and have been long established at Prestwick.

If you can go and take a look it would help you enormously. A flight from London Stansted to Malaga can be had for as little as £55 and all you'll need at the other end is a £10 rail fare or one days Hertz car hire...

Good luck,

Tarmach
11th Mar 2001, 20:05
Have BAE systems spain got a website? I can't find one!?

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Mar 2001, 20:45
Try

www.baesystems.es (http://www.baesystems.es)

Good luck,

EggBeta
11th Mar 2001, 20:51
HERE'S THE INFO ON BAE, LOOKS REAL GOOD, PLUS SOME DEALS FOR MAR & APRIL STARTERS, I WISH THERE JUST OFFERED THE JAA GRN PLUS ME & COM IR MODULES, AT THE MOMENT YOU HAVE TO DO THE FULL AB INITIO.
The Marketing Department

BAE SYSTEMS Flight Training (EUROPE)

Aeropuerto de Jerez

Antigua Base Militar La Parra

11401 Jerez de La Frontera

Cadiz

Spain

Tel: + 34 956 317806

Fax: + 34 956 182433

Email: [email protected]

WWW.BAE.COM (http://WWW.BAE.COM)

Harves
12th Mar 2001, 12:39
Captain Wannabe - 4 months ground school, but I'll be blowed if I'll be on the ground all that time now that I've got the taste back (not that it really went, but the cash did).

Thanks WWW I can't believe how difficult this decision has been, but I am pretty sure that BAE it is.

Thanks to all for your comments - it has helped a lot.

moggie
17th Mar 2001, 01:37
Brewster -

Contact Derek earp the CFI and Rafael Moreno (Human Resoursces) about a job.

The address/phone number given earlier are good for that.

JLMS - As to other question about saving food and accom by going DIY, I expect you could get it knocked off the price (but don't quote me!) but could you cover that for yourself for about £5 per night which is roughly what we charge?

The airport is about 5 miles north of the city so "living out" means a need for transport. Your choice.

see you there.

(beer's cheap too!)

Rexam
20th Apr 2001, 02:57
Anyone any info on this place.

I have not seen any mention of it on this forum, but is one of only four schools listed on CAA website as an approved provider of a JAR-FCL 1 ATPLA Integrated course. (OATS & CABAIR being the only others in Europe)

Do they only train BAe staff perhaps.

Captain-Ireland
20th Apr 2001, 03:51
I hear its realy good there. Very modern facilities and aircraft. I think it was reviewed in a recient Flyer Mag article..

jlms
20th Apr 2001, 11:49
Try running a search on the wannabes forum, there's been stuff written about them before.

You can also check www.baesystems.es. (http://www.baesystems.es.)

jlms

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Apr 2001, 15:41
Indeed they have appeared here lots. Try searching WORDS such as Jerez, Prestwick, BAe, British Aerospace.

I thought the place was thoroughly agreeable when I worked there last year.

Good luck,