PDA

View Full Version : The Times....They Are A-changing!

SASless
25th Feb 2019, 11:13
A Federal Judge in Texas has ruled the US Conscription (Draft) Law Un-Constitutional.

His Decision was based upon the fact that Women are not subject to the Draft Law which requires all Men to register for the Draft at age Eighteen.

The Decision is more symbolic than anything as there is no Conscription underway and has not been for many Years due to the US Military being all volunteer.

I have mixed emotions about Women in Combat but that is now the Law of the Land due to our Liberal Friends passing laws in Congress that forced the Military to adapt that policy.

As we are seeing a Manning Problem (poor choice of words I know) in the Military overall.....especially for Pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel....I wonder how this will play out in the future.

If this law has to be re-written it shall be very interesting to see how those on the Left react when they realize their Daughters run the risk of being called up for military service in a combat situation.

Personally, I like the idea of amending the law to include Women and Men to register.....and serve.

Equal protection and liability under the law seems fair to me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/24/military-draft-judge-rules-male-only-registration-unconstitutional/2968872002/

ORAC
25th Feb 2019, 12:47
Personally, I like the idea of amending the law to include Women and Men to register.....and serve. They also serve who only stand and wait........

Lonewolf_50
26th Feb 2019, 00:33
A Federal Judge in Texas has ruled the US Conscription (Draft) Law Un-Constitutional.
SASless, the problem is FASFA. My daughter did not have to register for the draft to get federal benfits/loans for college.
My son did.
Gender based discrimination. Not equal protection under the law, not equal opportunity.
That's an embedded issue. Good ruling.
@ORAC: your post has nothing to do with the issue. Nothing.

SASless
26th Feb 2019, 00:41
Lone,

The Feminists and other Liberals wanted equality for Women.

The Feminists and Liberals wanted Women to have access to every job in the military.

The Feminists and Liberals demanded Women be allowed to serve in combat.

The Feminists and Liberals never called for Women to be subject to the Draft.

They wanted "Muffie" to be able pick and choose to serve, choose their place in the Military and not have to risk being called up, trained, and dispatched to combat at the government's choosing.

The Judge was absolutely right....and so are you.

melmothtw
26th Feb 2019, 07:02
The Feminists and Liberals never called for Women to be subject to the Draft.

I'd hazard a guess they never called for men to be subject to the draft either.

SASless
26th Feb 2019, 15:13
You miss the point....if they were genuinely wanting "equality" then they would have demanded "full" application of Law and Opportunity now wouldn't they!

They did not.

They never argued against the Conscription Law either.

Nice try but no cigar.

melmothtw
26th Feb 2019, 15:53
Yep, you're too clever for me SASless.

Steepclimb
27th Feb 2019, 13:16
Women should be subject to the draft. If for no other reason than the fact that many modern military roles require more brain than brawn. Sitting down jobs basically. But even that's not exactly new. Women have long proved themselves. So they should be subject to conscription even if it's only for the sake of gender equality.

hunterboy
28th Feb 2019, 00:10
I can’t help wondering if conscription should even exist in a Western democracy? If the government can’t get enough volunteers to fight in time of war, maybe it should be rethinking? Otherwise, make the military an attractive career choice.

tartare
28th Feb 2019, 00:10
Agree.
Our sisters should be equal.
Equal to pull G's.
Equal to command.
And equal to be summoned by their nation - and die if necessary.
If you want to be truly equal you can't have it one way and not the other.

langleybaston
28th Feb 2019, 20:35
"We hold these truths to be self-evident."
I see no honest and logical argument to disagree with the good judge.

pr00ne
1st Mar 2019, 16:59
Any modern day society that sees the need to force people into military service against their will is a tad old fashioned. A barbaric practice I would like to see consigned to the pages of history.

SASless
1st Mar 2019, 18:08
Proone, How would that have worked for the UK during WWI and WWII?

Would you be speaking German and eating Sausages with Sauerkraut today?

BluSdUp
2nd Mar 2019, 01:12
Here in Norway we are still following a 1000 year old tradition of the Verneplikt , the draft or ProtectDuty ,literally.
In 2016 from the 60 000 that was 19 years old that year, 8000 served 12 months mandatory duty.
Anyone from 18 to 45 can be mobilized in case of war.
I did 15 months in the Navy and until 45 in the Home Guard.
Most of my male family members the last 100 years has done their duty when called upon.
Now we also call the girls, as it should be.
A good system for us, some more Professional Soldiers would be OK, but we have a rather large piece or real estate to protect and a rather unpredictable chap across our northern border so we need to have all hands on deck if needed!
Lets hope it is not needed, but we never forget 9 April 1940!

Regards
Cpt B

pr00ne
2nd Mar 2019, 14:01
SASless,

Look up the meaning of the words "...modern day...." and "....the pages of history...."

BEagle
3rd Mar 2019, 07:35
Before 2011, when Germany still had conscription, quite a few youngsters volunteered for duties as cooks. After they'd done their 6 months, their free training and experience made them very popular when they applied for positions in hotels and restaurants!

Most of the Luftwaffe conscripts had a pretty easy time of it and actually enjoyed the experience.

redsetter
3rd Mar 2019, 09:16
Visited Northern Cyprus in the 90s. Lots of Turkish Army conscripts. One of the locals (ex-conscript himself) told us the Army had problems finding things to do with them - trained-up a good number as cooks and waiters for the tourist trade - the less lucky ones did road mending.

SASless
3rd Mar 2019, 19:47
Proone, You do know the United States Military is an all Volunteer force.....right?

We have been engaged in combat operations for going on Twenty Years....and no one got conscripted in that time period.

Last time I checked....that would cover "modern day" and more than a few pages of history.

The issue in case you missed it was not folks BEING conscripted....but rather having to register with the Government Selective Service Board so as to be in the Data Base should another major brew up occurs.

Those who ignore history often find themselves repeating it we are told.

We were not prepared for WWII and again during the Korean War....or Vietnam back when our Army was not all Volunteer.