PDA

View Full Version : 747F questions ... where are the stairs?

Snakum
2nd Aug 2002, 15:31
Are the noses 'flippable' on all 74 freighters? If so, wouldn't the stairs to the upper deck be in the way of front-loading?

And, on classic and 400 freighters, are the stairs in the normal place? I know this sounds stupid, but I often wondered whether or not the stairs leading to the upper deck are removed during conversion/mfg and if so ... how do you get to the pointy end?

And ... if there are no stairs and the cargo area/fuselage is clear are there ramps to allow vehicles to drive up like the big Rusky freighters? And if so ... is there enough clearance to drive a race team truck up into the bay?

Lotsa stupid questions .... so little time. :D

Minh

B747sailor
2nd Aug 2002, 15:48
folding stairs from upper deck to main deck...

CR2
2nd Aug 2002, 17:43
The stairs do get in the way, but as already mentioned, they fold up into the ceiling.
The stairs on the -200 are in flight direction. The -400 has a re-arranged system in order to accomodate an extra pallet. On the -400, you climb "across" from the port side to the starboard side if you see what I mean. These stairs are at door 1L.
Not all noses are "flippable". Pure built freighters do have a the nose-door, many converted aircraft don't.
Since there aren't any converted -400s (yet - Boeing is working on it), all -400Fs have a NCD.
No, there are no ramps like on a "big rusky freighter", and a race team truck (I guess you mean an articulated lorry) won't fit.

Hope of some use.

edited after Classic Crew pointed out my error.

classic crew
4th Aug 2002, 21:37
Rat, now you've got me thinking. All this time when I've been on one of our -400s. I thoght that I come in the L1 door, put my bags down then climb straight up the stairs which means I go from Port to Starboard. But maybe its all done with mirrors !!!:) :) :)

CR2
5th Aug 2002, 08:24
Arrrgh. Classic Crew is of course correct..... :o :o :o

Buster Hyman
5th Aug 2002, 14:23
And if you think the stairs on the 74F's are rickety, you want to try the stairs in the AN124!!!

YIKES!!!:eek: