PDA

View Full Version : Why can't SAS Ireland not fly CATII/III?

Torsten38
25th Feb 2019, 07:48
The last couple of days SAS Ireland has been unable to fly in out of airports with fog forecasts as apparently they are unable to fly ILS CATII/III and SAS Scandinavia has been flying these routes instead. Does anyone know why they cannot do this?

Intrance
25th Feb 2019, 07:56
Haven't bothered yet to certify all crew perhaps? I don't know, just an educated guess.

EDDT
25th Feb 2019, 10:41
Probably no approval from the authorities yet.

Lufthansa Italia (around year 2010)had many diversions from Milano MXP because they were not allowed to land in low visibility conditions. The fault was with the authorities and their approval. That was part of the reason they had to close that branch.

Jetavia
25th Feb 2019, 11:05
Irish CAA i guess.. if you want trouble get an Irish AOC as a non-irish airline..

MD80rookie
25th Feb 2019, 19:57
Irish CAA i guess.. if you want trouble get an Irish AOC as a non-irish airline..

Exactly what I have heard from friends at Norwegian.

tprop
26th Feb 2019, 04:25
Norwegian lacked CII/III approval their first year in operation. Didn't stop them from executing those approaches all winter long at Oslo. It was obvious to everyone what was going on, ATC, other operators, but there were no repercussions.
If you want no trouble get a Norwegian AOC as a Norwegian start up carrier. You will be the darling of press and the authorities and looking the other way is SOP.

Oh, and they didn't bother to de-ice that first winter, either. Too expensive.

arketip
26th Feb 2019, 07:28
Norwegian lacked CII/III approval their first year in operation. Didn't stop them from executing those approaches all winter long at Oslo. It was obvious to everyone what was going on, ATC, other operators, but there were no repercussions.
If you want no trouble get a Norwegian AOC as a Norwegian start up carrier. You will be the darling of press and the authorities and looking the other way is SOP.

And of course you did report them to the authorities...

CaptainProp
26th Feb 2019, 10:26
I’ve worked for a company while it was applying for Cat III ops qualification. We had to log x number of simulated Cat III approaches, in Cat I or better weather, down to an auto-land and write a Cat III report for each one of them. These reports, together with the training documentation for each crew member’s low-vis training and various maintenance documentation was then finally submitted to the authorities for final approval. Its not difficult to get done I think, it’s just that it took quite some time before all the boxes had been ticked and the approval was granted.

CP

SSDK
27th Feb 2019, 07:38

We did CatIII’s as part of the certifikation, and we have a “subscribtion” arrangement i OSL for de-icing. But Hey- good job spreading fake info:ok: