PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see Bruggen was at the cutting edge of technology right up until the near end

NutLoose
24th Feb 2019, 23:36
Lol

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/24570223-germany-former-raf-basis-bruggen-military-counting-machine-calculator-1950

ORAC
25th Feb 2019, 07:39
EMP proof..... :cool: :cool:

NRU74
25th Feb 2019, 07:41
A bit of an enigma to me !

thunderbird7
25th Feb 2019, 07:50
I'm sure thats what Maggie Ross used to beat incompetent co-pilot imprest holders with at Kinloss....

typerated
25th Feb 2019, 08:01
I'm sure I remember a Vickers machine gun in the armory - mid 80s!

Fitter2
25th Feb 2019, 08:24
Ah- Brunsviga calculator. Never known to have a software crash or blue screen of death. It was still on the A level syllabus in 1969, although I have to confess never using one in anger.

ShyTorque
25th Feb 2019, 08:43
I used to have one of those. I threw it away because I couldn't get a battery for it.

Fareastdriver
25th Feb 2019, 08:56
Widely used in banks up to the eighties mainly for currency exchange.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
25th Feb 2019, 09:22
I still use a Brunsviga to balance my cheque book....

Old Bricks
25th Feb 2019, 09:55
2(AC) Sqn RIC at Laarbruch in the early 70s had the 7-strand light tables to go with the Phantom recce pod. Included with each table was the ultimate in high-tech computer power - a second-hand electronic calculator (LED display) bought from the Post Office to use with the coordinatograph on the top of the table to do micro-measurements from the film. Since the coordinatograph was awkward, caught on everything and was never used, it was generally removed. The calculator was shown to visitors as the wonder of the age. As there were no other electronic calculators on the station, the OC Accounts used to come to the RIC on Friday afternoons to use one of them to do all his account balancing - the alternative being the mechanical monster in Accounts.
I seem to remember that when I first arrived at Laarbruch in early 73, there was a "pocket" calculator (HP?) on sale that cost the best part of a month's salary. By the time I left Germany 3 years later, you could get a really basic pocket calculator free with 4 gallons of petrol!

Expatrick
25th Feb 2019, 10:47
Bizarre co incidence! Only yesterday afternoon my Wife & I saw one of these (or something very, very like it) in the window of an antiques shop in Budapest. Not that we really knew what is was, other than some kind of calculator.

jimjim1
25th Feb 2019, 11:18
Maybe it was for counting them all out, and counting them all back.

chevvron
25th Feb 2019, 11:23
Ah- Brunsviga calculator. Never known to have a software crash or blue screen of death. It was still on the A level syllabus in 1969, although I have to confess never using one in anger.
6th former in 1967; after A leveIs was asked to calculate attendance averages for my class using one.
The headmaster took a dim view of my presenting them to him down to the 10th decimal point!

MFC_Fly
25th Feb 2019, 11:25
I used to have one of those. I threw it away because I couldn't get a battery for it.

Well your were stupid then, everyone knows they were solar powered, you just had to wait for a sunny day :ok:

dook
25th Feb 2019, 11:32
More reliable than NAVWASS I can tell you !

X

ShyTorque
25th Feb 2019, 11:41
Well your were stupid then, everyone knows they were solar powered, you just had to wait for a sunny day :ok:

I only kept the grammar checking machine I had. You might like to borrow it.... :E