PDA

View Full Version : Process of becoming SEP maintenance engineer/mechanic

wings_atpl
24th Feb 2019, 08:59
Dear All,

I am writing to obtain much needed information on the process of becoming single engine piston maintenance engineer/mechanic. Can someone please share their experience and process of obtaining the license to work on aircraft. Can someone please advise me on organisations that provide the courses or if there are any apprenticeship courses one can enroll into.

Many thanks in advance.

wings_atpl
25th Feb 2019, 10:33
Any help will be appreciated!!!!!

stevef
25th Feb 2019, 20:26
Sounds like you need a B3 licence. Mine came automatically as a B1.2 holder so I've no idea what's involved regarding requirements and experience. Try the EASA website for more information but take into account that there may be changes due to Brexit..

wings_atpl
26th Feb 2019, 03:04
Sounds like you need a B3 licence. Mine came automatically as a B1.2 holder so I've no idea what's involved regarding requirements and experience. Try the EASA website for more information but take into account that there may be changes due to Brexit..

I can’t seem to find any training provider to obtain the licence. I would appreciate if you could please advise of any training provider. This will help a lot.

stevef
26th Feb 2019, 07:52
Try Solinair, Slovenia.

Requirements for a licence issue will be:

3 years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft, if the applicant has no previous relevant technical training;
or
2 years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training considered relevant by the competent authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade;
or
1 year of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of an approved Part 147 basic training course.

Look up EASA Pt 66 B3 Licence Modules on the internet for a list of study modules. Sorry, I can't help any more than that.
Pprune member Easaman is an expert in these matters and will probably be along sometime.

wings_atpl
26th Feb 2019, 11:46
Try Solinair, Slovenia.

Requirements for a licence issue will be:

3 years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft, if the applicant has no previous relevant technical training;
or
2 years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training considered relevant by the competent authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade;
or
1 year of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of an approved Part 147 basic training course.

Look up EASA Pt 66 B3 Licence Modules on the internet for a list of study modules. Sorry, I can't help any more than that.
Pprune member Easaman is an expert in these matters and will probably be along sometime.

Thank you. I highly appreciate the response. Many thanks. I’ll look into it although would prefer something in UK

NutLoose
26th Feb 2019, 19:10
Here you go

https://www.airservicetraining.co.uk/aircraft-engineering-training/become-an-aircraft-engineer

NutLoose
26th Feb 2019, 19:16
Also try

https://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/world-class-facilities/aviation-academy

NutLoose
26th Feb 2019, 19:25
These are the uk training organisations, those telling you that you need B3 are incorrect, the actual licence is B1.2 to cover all piston aircraft.

https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294991936

wings_atpl
26th Feb 2019, 20:40
Thank you soo much NutLoose. I highly appreciate it.

stevef
27th Feb 2019, 07:53
Agree that the B1.2 licence is essential to cover all piston aircraft but wings_atpl specifically asked about becoming a single-engine piston engineer, which would fit into the B3 MTOM 2000kg & below category.
EASA classroom requirements are 1000 hours for a B3 qualification as against 2000 hours for B1.2. The problem is finding B3 courses in the UK...