PDA

View Full Version : climbing the ladder to...... nowhere?

thunderbird five
22nd Feb 2019, 19:57
Noddyland at it's finest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yyhcBFWIQ

4 Holer
22nd Feb 2019, 20:31
HAHAHAHA Straya at it finest " 2 metre ladder " ..... What if there is an aircraft fire would that not be a significant risk to the fireman.... THATS YOUR JOB.

machtuk
22nd Feb 2019, 20:41
Best advice to any OS Airline coming here is....don't crash, cause if you do by law you will die after the actual crash!
In a world that's gone mad Straya leads the way in stupidity!

Mach E Avelli
22nd Feb 2019, 21:58
When you allow organisations such as Workplace Health and Safety to go too far, you get the Nanny State. That leads to pussies like this fire chief being put in charge.
With all this dumbing down and limpdick training, heaven help us if we ever have a 9/11 situation.

Dark Knight
22nd Feb 2019, 22:25
As Hanrahan says:"The country's rooted Mate, rooted I tell you!"

Lantern10
22nd Feb 2019, 22:33
Just how do they keep a straight face?

Global Aviator
22nd Feb 2019, 22:39
Is this a modern day Monty Python skit?

V-Jet
22nd Feb 2019, 23:03
Normally this 'unique to Australia' safety (anyone built a pool recently??) rubbish depresses me, but that is pure genius stupidity. I'd love to say 'unbelievable' but I just can't as I live here. Did make me laugh very hard though. Thank you for posting!!

MACH082
22nd Feb 2019, 23:06
And these people run the country.

Reminds me me of when casa were in the senates estimate and they were being asked when the regulatory reform process would be complete.

To which the reply was something along the lines of they were working on the plan for the plan and it should be competed within a couple of years. (The plan for the plan).

Taxpayers certainly get value for money.

IsDon01
23rd Feb 2019, 00:00
This country is run by empires. Safety, security, HR, all parasites with clipboards.

From what I could glean from the video, between laughing uncontrollably, was that they only “train” on ladders up to 2M but if they have to actually fight a fire on an aircraft then they can use whatever sized ladder that’s available. My question would be, if you haven’t trained realistically, then how effective will you be if you have to climb onto the upper deck of an A380 for the first time, in a real life or death situation? Answer of course is not very effective at all.

patty50
23rd Feb 2019, 00:09
Someone fell off a ladder, 3 months off with a broken wrist plus another year for PTSD, with surgeons, physio, fortnightly doctors visits, psychiatrists plus normal wages probably well over 200k. AirServices threw up their arms and said fine no ladder training cross that bridge we get to it (which they probably won’t).

Whats the alternative? No workers compensation at all? Or safer training...as they’re implementing.

bazza stub
23rd Feb 2019, 01:04
Whats the alternative? No workers compensation at all? Or safer training...as they’re implementing.

That's the point of workers comp though isn't it? You get hurt at work in the line of duty, you get compensated. It's like saying we better not have hydraulics on when we do a simulator ride because we might get a crick in the neck, or have engine failure training because we might get scared and need some time off for PTSD. This is insurance company BS and yet another example of bottom line watchers moulding the system to fit their spread sheets.

I only hope lawyers get hold of this guys testimony if/when we have an accident in Oz, "yes your honour, we let 200 people burn because we felt it was too dangerous to train our fierys". There is a compensation nightmare for you.

ADawg
23rd Feb 2019, 01:43
3...2..1 Play Benny Hill music NOW!

I used to work in a 14 storey building. At lunch time some of us walked to the bottom and walked/jogged up several flights in the fire escape for fitness.
HR prohibited it because someone might get hurt and claim compo.
If you have ever worked in an Australian government department none of this nonsense will surprise you.

Sleep tight knowing some of your hard earned is paying their wages.

Bend alot
23rd Feb 2019, 02:48
Put some fall mats around the training ladder - climb 12 meter ladder.

Any that fall on the mat are removed from the service. The job is not for them, and they would not handle the real life event with no mats around.

* Why not have the fire saw as part of the kit - it makes you compliant, but you do not need to use it.

LeadSled
23rd Feb 2019, 04:02
Folks,
With all this talk of ladders, perhaps you have missed that the rescue saws have been banned as well.
Dangerous things saws, they can cut things??
And they bought lovely brand new ICAO compliant ones quite recently.
Tootle pip!!

PS: Strict compliance compliance with the law in NSW prohibits you climbing into the cab of most trucks --- the "roools" say you have to have steps up to a platform --- this pesky 2M again.

V-Jet
23rd Feb 2019, 06:30
I just shared this epic piece in a group environment. I lost the plot and nearly choked on my martini with this gem:

’There are four skills to using a ladder. Getting on it, going up it, going down it and getting off it’

ONLY in Australia!!

SOPS
23rd Feb 2019, 07:13
Aren’t fires dangerous? I mean, you can get burnt 🙄🙄

Checklist Charlie
23rd Feb 2019, 07:15
With that sort of leadership one can now plainly see why they are referred to as "F Troop"

CC

LeadSled
23rd Feb 2019, 07:17
I just shared this epic piece in a group environment. I lost the plot and nearly choked on my martini with this gem:

’There are four skills to using a ladder. Getting on it, going up it, going down it and getting off it’

ONLY in Australia!!

Absolutely love it!!
As a matter of interest, do you have to be signed off on all these ladder skills concurrently, or can they be "achieved" separately??
I just love "competency based" training.
Tootle pip!!

PS: Recently implementing a safety training introduction of a new forklift ---- Ear protection was mandatory, but so was the checking of the reversing horn during the "pre-flight" --- But what if I can't hear the horn for the ear protection ---- which "mandatory rule" (as, I suppose, non-optional rule) do I breach to "comply". Common sense is prohibited, because it cannot be regulated!!

GA Driver
23rd Feb 2019, 07:25

There’s probably also a procedure manual documenting said skills application!!

Bend alot
23rd Feb 2019, 07:56

ONLY in Australia!!

But there are many types of ladder - selecting the correct type is a skill.

But working on a ladder using only one hand (because three points of contact must be maintained) is the hardest skill - yet not mentioned by the chief.

cattletruck
23rd Feb 2019, 09:41
And when you successfully complete all four ladder exercises you are awarded a certificate proving you are certified ladder operator professional.
(I just made that up, many would have already guessed that but seeing the bottom levels of intelligence that we have reached I feel I need to make that clear)

Had something similar occur at my work with some dork suggesting we use the internet for all our private links because the internet is never down. There's a never ending supply of them.

kimbobimbo
23rd Feb 2019, 12:17
That fire chief reminds me of some of my managers... Why not just wrap the world in bubble wrap? Probably because it’s flammable... and round and round it goes...

Iron Bar
23rd Feb 2019, 12:47
As much as Mr Wood made a hash of dealing with some of the unrepresentative swill.

I doubt many politicians, pilots or PPrune pussies would know what to do with a fire saw or keep their **** together above 2 meters on a ladder under stress.

I see the point with training.

His dudeness
23rd Feb 2019, 14:12
Time to introduce a ladder simulater.

Dee Vee
24th Feb 2019, 01:04
’There are four skills to using a ladder. Getting on it, going up it, going down it and getting off it’ONLY in Australia!!

You forgot bringing the ladder, carrying it to site, setting it up, tethering/tieing it down so it doesn't fall, oh, wait, that's right, they now only buy $350m mechanical ladders attached to a truck and operated via pneumatic controls, so no one has to actually do any physical work.

Stationair8
24th Feb 2019, 01:36
Perhaps we could legislate to only have safe accidents in the future!

YPJT
24th Feb 2019, 02:49
It’s like a mining HSE policy. They will prattle on about safety being number one priority which it may we’ll be not because they give a duck about the individual, just their reputation and bottom line.
i wouldn’t blame the frontline ARFFS guys and girls for this. It clearly HSE puke all over it

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
24th Feb 2019, 05:32
It's the Work Health & Safety world we now live in. The guys at the top are now personally financially and legally exposed to work practices down through their organizations that have potential to put their employees at risk. They have a duty under the law to remove or minimise as far as practicable workplace risk. If they knowingly ignore identified risks, and someone gets hurt on the job, they could go to jail. For an occupation like Aviation Fire Fighting, where 99.9% of the time the exposure to risk is during practice (and thus can and should be controlled to a degree), it's understandable that they look to minimise it. You make a mistake and crash your aircraft during practice (in the sim) you say bugger and reset. You make a mistake in practice and fall off a 20m ladder, it's sayonara. If you can learn those same ladder skills on a 2m ladder, why would you expose your employees to the greater risk, and thus expose yourself to the legal ramifications of a forseeable and avoidable mishap? I'm not a great fan of the marshmallow OHS world we live in now, but unfortunately (or fortunately if it saves you or a loved one from injury or death) it is the world we are now all compelled to live in.

red_dirt
24th Feb 2019, 06:30
It's the Work Health & Safety world we now live in. The guys at the top are now personally financially and legally exposed to work practices down through their organizations that have potential to put their employees at risk. They have a duty under the law to remove or minimise as far as practicable workplace risk. If they knowingly ignore identified risks, and someone gets hurt on the job, they could go to jail. For an occupation like Aviation Fire Fighting, where 99.9% of the time the exposure to risk is during practice (and thus can and should be controlled to a degree), it's understandable that they look to minimise it. You make a mistake and crash your aircraft during practice (in the sim) you say bugger and reset. You make a mistake in practice and fall off a 20m ladder, it's sayonara. If you can learn those same ladder skills on a 2m ladder, why would you expose your employees to the greater risk, and thus expose yourself to the legal ramifications of a forseeable and avoidable mishap? I'm not a great fan of the marshmallow OHS world we live in now, but unfortunately (or fortunately if it saves you or a loved one from injury or death) it is the world we are now all compelled to live in.

Soooo the fire they train with is pretend and can’t burn them right?

Mach E Avelli
24th Feb 2019, 06:47
Aaaand, how will we know if Calendar Boy has a head for heights?
If we carry this argument to conclusion, the SAS will never work with live ammunition, there will be no HUET for helicopter crews and most sports will be banned (croquet anyone?).

Fliegenmong
24th Feb 2019, 07:07
Rather simply I see it as the best reply to the Senator is...."In order to comply with the WHS rules YOU (the gummint) introduced...our risk assesment people applied your requirements"

gordonfvckingramsay
24th Feb 2019, 10:18
The guys at the top are now personally financially and legally exposed to work practices down through their organizations that have potential to put their employees at risk. They have a duty under the law to remove or minimise as far as practicable workplace risk.

But airlines ask me to sign a waiver stating that I knowingly accept the risk of increased radiation in my chosen career. Health and safety is a funny old thing isn’t it...

harrryw
25th Feb 2019, 07:19
There’s probably also a procedure manual documenting said skills application!!
Good thing we are not in the EU. If we were it would have to have 16 Languages.
v

Buster Hyman
25th Feb 2019, 10:12
Highest I ever climbed in full gear for training was the equivalent of three storeys. Put my arm through a plaster ceiling on another night and that was the end of confined spaces training. Being one of the support brigades for the AFRS at Tulla, they are definitely dependent on Tanker support from the CFA & MFB here. Without it, it doesn't matter how many ladders or saws they carry, their water is gone in seconds.

Now, as much as it sounds ridiculous, I'm more bemused by 'Senators' who a) didn't actually listen to what he said and b) were too busy making jokes for their own amusement. Those pigs at the trough are more of a joke than any PC or HS&E madness.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
25th Feb 2019, 15:49
But airlines ask me to sign a waiver stating that I knowingly accept the risk of increased radiation in my chosen career. Health and safety is a funny old thing isn’t it...
And you sign it. Concern for your own health and safety is a funny old thing isn't it.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
25th Feb 2019, 15:52
Soooo the fire they train with is pretend and can’t burn them right?

It can burn them, and that's why they take every precaution not to get burnt. I'm sure when push comes to shove, these guys will put their own lives on the line to pull your sorry arse out of the fire, but they sure as sh*t ain't going to get hurt or killed practising to do it.