PDA

View Full Version : EASA proposal to simplify private IR

340drvr
22nd Feb 2019, 12:52
EASA proposal to simplify path to private IR:

https://www.EASA.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Opinion%20No%2001-2019%20%28A%29.pdf (https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Opinion%20No%2001-2019%20%28A%29.pdf)

cessnapete
22nd Feb 2019, 16:29
What a load of tosh, when they could have adopted the proven FAA route.

Denti
22nd Feb 2019, 17:20
What a load of tosh, when would the EASA ever copy the FAA route?

That said, that initiative is probably one of the last ones originating in the UK, it is largely driven by UK experiences and demand for a more lightweight approach to GA IFR training.

homonculus
22nd Feb 2019, 20:42
I particularly like the sound of

Module 2:it introduces2D and 3D instrument approach procedures such as non-directional radio bacon (NDB)

nothing like a bacon buttie at the start of the procedure :E

Kerosene Kraut
23rd Feb 2019, 08:28
Sunny side up.

Global_Global
23rd Feb 2019, 11:49

"They" is all the organisations that represent you who have been involved in this including the UK CAA... So what have YOU done apart from moaning from the side line? Filed any comments on this issue? :=

BEagle
23rd Feb 2019, 21:19
We started the Basic IR concept over 3 years ago. NAA and industry associations supplied the majority of the unpaid RMT.0677 task force to achieve the final FCL.835.A draft documents. We had several occasionally robust meetings before agreeing our draft NPA!

The only 2 issues which remain to be resolved are the rather disproportionate audiometry requirement for initial issue and the reluctance of EASA to accept BIR training at DTOs.

The BIR will also offer an update route for EIR and IR(R) holders.

pipertommy
14th Jun 2019, 08:25
Hi all, any updates on the BIR launch?
Thanks.

A and C
14th Jun 2019, 13:38
I can only see this as a positive step, for years the UK took the view that he safest thing to do with a PPL holder that got into marginal weather was to have them climb above the MSA, get a bit of time to think and plan and then fly a published approach into a sutable airfield. So the UK CAA introduced the IMC rating to enable formal training for an instrument qualification that was accessible to PPL holders.

Of course this mini IR was an affront to the sky gods at EASA and they tried to kill it but finally faced with the indisputable facts that an instrument qualification for PPL holders is a vital safety tool they are forced to make an IR accessible to the average PPL holder....................... just a pity that it’s twenty years and many deaths too late that the European Aviation SAFTEY Authority makes the decision.

bill fly
15th Jun 2019, 18:42
If PP can be encouraged to take an IRT that must be positive.

IcanCmyhousefromhere
16th Jun 2019, 00:13
A and C, the IR was always a PPL rating add on. Did you mean that EASA allowed the IMC rating? I had left GA by then, so I don’t know except that I heard there was some difficulty with the IMC rating being accepted.

The Ancient Geek
16th Jun 2019, 10:46
The IMC rating was a UK only rating dating back to before the UK joined EASA. It was very effective in reducing fatalities caused by the unpredictable British weather. It was intended to get private pilots safely on the ground when trapped by weather.
EASA wanted to scrap it in the name of unification but after much argument with member states all having different agendas they came up with the idea of the Basic Instument Rating.
As usual they gold plated a simple idea and added more training hoops to jump through to qualify. When fully implemented the derogation which allowed the UK to retain the IMC rating will end and the same rating will apply throughout EASA.

pipertommy
17th Jun 2019, 21:54
Will be interested to hear what the requirements are for upgrading an IR r to a BIR.
The proposed BIR sounds like a real positive step for GA, with all the progression in technology now available in the light aircraft level rolling out an IR aimed at the GA level within Europe is quite exciting.
Obviously I am aware of the CBIR route already established.

Gipsy Queen
18th Jun 2019, 16:53
The IMC rating was a UK only rating dating back to before the UK joined EASA. It was very effective in reducing fatalities caused by the unpredictable British weather. It was intended to get private pilots safely on the ground when trapped by weather.
EASA wanted to scrap it in the name of unification but after much argument with member states all having different agendas they came up with the idea of the Basic Instument Rating.
As usual they gold plated a simple idea and added more training hoops to jump through to qualify. When fully implemented the derogation which allowed the UK to retain the IMC rating will end and the same rating will apply throughout EASA.

An excellent summary.

I have long thought that given the vagaries of the UK (and northern European generally) weather which almost guarantee a VFR bust at some stage, basic instrument training should be included in the PPL syllabus. 10 hours under the hood could make a huge difference and add greatly to pilot competence in an area of GA which may neither need nor want more advanced training.