PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for foreign student pilot?

acidrain1989
21st Feb 2019, 08:08
Hi guys, I am from South Korea, and planning to take my ATPL in the USA. I heard that it is really difficult for foreign pilots to get a job as an commercial pilot in the State. I just hope that I can find job after I finish my training and time building.

I heard people were talking about "4 year college degree" for getting a job, and I am currently working as general physician in Korea, and do you think medical school degree will qualify as degree?

Any advice for new student pilot would be welcome.

Thank you.

LTCTerry
22nd Feb 2019, 12:15
AR,

You can apply for a visa for flight training in the US. Many people do this. There are schools where you can stay on as a flight instructor building time towards the ATP (not ATPL in the US). There are people here who are knowledgeable about the various visas.

In general, unless you have the right to live and work in the US, you will not get hired to fly for a US airline.

I would expect that medical school counts as the four-year degree.

Good luck!

Terry

bafanguy
22nd Feb 2019, 17:33
acidrain,

If I may ask, what about being a physician is so unappealing you want to leave the profession ?

Getting through medical school is a significant achievement.

acidrain1989
23rd Feb 2019, 09:47
Terry, thank you for your reply. Do you mean green card by meaning "right to live and work in the US", or do you also mean H1B visa?

And I will definitely work as a flight instructor for time building.

Thank you again.

acidrain1989
23rd Feb 2019, 10:06
Hi, bafanguy,

It is quite a long story. I just wanted to fly as professional for a quite long time. I think I am quite old for giving a try for another job (I am 30 years), however I think it's now or never.

Thank you for your reply. :)

LTCTerry
28th Feb 2019, 12:13
Do you mean green card by meaning "right to live and work in the US", or do you also mean H1B visa?

Getting through medical school is a significant achievement.

AR,

Yes, a "green card" means the "right to live and work in the US." There are visas available that would let you go to flight school, then say on as an instructor for a year. "I would like to be an airline pilot for a US carrier" is not likely a be an effective route to permanent resident.

However, you'd probably have a decent chance if a Korean medical degree is recognized/recognizable in the US. As a legal resident you would be free to pursue whatever free time activities - such as flight training - that you would like to do. You could even work part time as a flight instructor.

You could even be a full time instructor and a part time doc...

bafanguy
28th Feb 2019, 19:54
Hi, bafanguy,

It is quite a long story.

Long stories can be interesting.

I've heard of an airline pilot who was laid off for so long he had time to go to med school and set up a practice. If I recall, when he was recalled to his airline, he quit medicine and went back to flying !!

bafanguy
1st Mar 2019, 20:38
acidrain,

This is kind of interesting...and likely expensive too:

"...Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world’s premier aviation and aerospace institution, has teamed up with Korean Airlines to provide a new career pathway program for aspiring aviators."

https://www.aviationpros.com/airlines/press-release/21070509/embryriddle-aeronautical-university-embryriddle-and-korean-airlines-launch-career-pathway-program-for-pilots

acidrain1989
1st Mar 2019, 23:50
Hey Terry, thanks for the information. :)

My medical degree is recognized in the State. I had no problem with USMLE, however foreign doctors are having a difficult time for finding a hospital that is going to sponsor for the green card. Well, I hope I could find way to legally work as an airline pilot.

Thanks again. :)

acidrain1989
2nd Mar 2019, 09:57
Thanks for the information, bafanguy.

Well, when I just graduated high school in Michigan, my parents did not want to give me support for the flight school. So I decided to let Government pay for it; I tried to apply for the Air force Academy. My father intercepted the application, and shredded it.

After I went to college (Like typical Asian kids, I went to major what my parents told me to), my father had to stop his business. As an international student, there was no way that I could keep paying the tuition. I came back to Korea for the mandatory military service. I ended up in the Army ranger regiment. I really didn't like it. I was so far away from the daily work out and physical challenge. However I really liked it when I get to sit in the helicopter (black hawk and Huey). I really liked the flight itself. I really enjoyed "tactical maneuver".

After I finished my service, I went to med school in Korea. It was tough time, because I had to make my own living. But I am kinda proud of myself that I was able to achieve what I have now without help from my parents. I worked as English tutor and construction site worker.

Now I have a job in the local clinic. I am happy, because now I have an ability to afford my flight school! Also, I am financially independent from my parents.

Even if I could not get a job in the US airline, I hope there is a way to get a job as a professional pilot somewhere in the world.

bafanguy
2nd Mar 2019, 12:52
But I am kinda proud of myself that I was able to achieve what I have now without help from my parents.

acidrain,

Thanks for telling your story. You should absolutely be proud of yourself ! You've achieved remarkable things in your 30 years. You sound like a guy who knows how to accomplish things so if you turn your efforts to flying, I wouldn't be surprised to see you follow it through.

I'm not a subject expert by anyone's definition but I don't think you're too old to reach your next goal given the state of the airline industry around the world.

Medical school is a huge accomplishment. My daughter-in-law is a pediatric emergency room doc so I'm familiar with the rigors of getting through and into practice. I understand that general practitioners are in short supply.

chimbu warrior
3rd Mar 2019, 00:11
Acidrain I think that your persistence and drive will stand you in good stead in aviation as it obviously has in other fields of endeavour. With your attitude you will definitely achieve your dream.

Gomrath
4th Mar 2019, 00:22
AR,

You could even be a full time instructor and a part time doc...

Not without being Green Card holder and that could take at least 3 plus years and it requires that he be sponsored on a visa for employment as a Dr.
Even then, it requires to be proven that a US Citizen isn't available to do the job.
Reality is, that it is a lot tougher these days.

acidrain1989
10th Mar 2019, 10:58
bafanguy, thanks again. And I send my full respect to your dauther-in-law.

And thank you for your compliment. It will take me for some time for saving money for flight school. But time and place doesn't matter for me. As far as I can have professional pilot job, I will be happy.

acidrain1989
10th Mar 2019, 10:59
chimbu warrior, thank you for your compliment. It will take some time for me to get to the flight school and licenses, but I will make sure that I won't stop chasing my dream.

acidrain1989
10th Mar 2019, 11:05
Gomrath, thank you for the reply.

I have "American parents" who took care of me when I was in the State as an exchange student. They are not my real parents, but I still keep in contact with them. The reason why I want to get a job in the State is that I have parents over there (even they are not my real parents). But for me, place is not a matter of problem; as far as I can get a job as a pilot.