PDA

View Full Version : The RAF appoints first female 3* officer

air pig
20th Feb 2019, 12:23
Sue Gray has been appointed as the new head of engineering in the rank of Air Marshall, the first female to hold this rank.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/raf-engineer-becomes-first-ever-uk-female-military-three-star-commander

sedburgh
20th Feb 2019, 14:05
Sue Gray has been appointed as the new head of engineering in the rank of Air Marshall, the first female to hold this rank.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/raf-engineer-becomes-first-ever-uk-female-military-three-star-commander

Not quite, she has been promoed to Air Marshal and appointed Director General of the Defence Safety Authority in succession to Lt Gen Felton,
not head of engineering. Air Marshal Julian Young (http://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/senior-commanders/air-member-for-materiel-and-chief-of-materiel/)remains Chief of Material(Air), Air Member for Materiel and Chief Engineer(RAF).

MPN11
20th Feb 2019, 14:59
Once upon a time that would be an automatic K. I wonder if she will get a Dame for being the first female 3*?

Anyway, bloody well done, Ma’am.

teeteringhead
20th Feb 2019, 15:19
And she really counts as another rotary mate!

BZ Ma'am

air pig
20th Feb 2019, 16:16
Not quite, she has been promoed to Air Marshal and appointed Director General of the Defence Safety Authority in succession to Lt Gen Felton,
not head of engineering. Air Marshal Julian Young (http://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/senior-commanders/air-member-for-materiel-and-chief-of-materiel/)remains Chief of Material(Air), Air Member for Materiel and Chief Engineer(RAF).

My error...

kintyred
20th Feb 2019, 19:23
Indeed, Airpig......there's an 'l' of a difference!

Melchett01
20th Feb 2019, 19:24
And she really counts as another rotary mate!

BZ Ma'am

And at the same time as anothet rotary mate - AVM Turner - is promoted AM and becomes DCOM Cap.

Tankertrashnav
21st Feb 2019, 10:32
Once upon a time that would be an automatic K. I wonder if she will get a Dame for being the first female 3*?

I would hope so. Back in the days of the WRAF a number of Directors who "only" had the rank of Air Commodore (previously Air Commandant) were Dames, so it would be quite bizarre for her not to be so honoured.

MPN11
21st Feb 2019, 15:22
I would hope so. Back in the days of the WRAF a number of Directors who "only" had the rank of Air Commodore (previously Air Commandant) were Dames, so it would be quite bizarre for her not to be so honoured.
How true, but we’re all one company now!

ExGrunt
21st Feb 2019, 15:48
Is the RAF big enough to need any 3* these days. At 35,000 ish all up it is really only the size of a reinforced Division (2*).

'Light the blue touch paper - Stand well back' ;o)

EG

Asturias56
21st Feb 2019, 15:54
Can someone explain to a poor foreigner why a person AUTOMATICALLY gets a honor? Surely it's no "honor" if it's part of the job description???

Do you pay tax on it???

Thud_and_Blunder
21st Feb 2019, 17:26
ISTR that Ma'am was always known as 'Trousers' to differentiate twixt her good self and another engineer. And what an excellent engineer - and leader - she was too. Very good news.

teeteringhead
21st Feb 2019, 18:46
Ex Grunt

Is the RAF big enough to need any 3* these days. At 35,000 ish all up it is really only the size of a reinforced Division (2*). Well the Royal Marines have got a 2* for fewer than 8,000 ........... not much more ISTR than the strength of Brize - which is run by a Gp Capt.

And of course AM Grey's new post is a "purple" one with tri-service responsibilities.

so your point is ?????

FB11
21st Feb 2019, 19:19
Really good news, it’s been a long time coming to have an under represented person heading to the top of the organisation. Certainly those who have worked for her seem to regard her people skills highly.

Fascinated to see who the competitors were in the interviews - any gouge on who might have been considered?

I haven’t seen AM Gray’s career profile. Has she done any Joint time? (Not including DE&S, which doesn’t really count :}). Might be useful as the DG DSA across Defence. Or maybe not? Maybe ‘safety’ needs a new broom and not be pigeon holed into those who’ve filled the posts before who’ve taken more traditional route into the role. Change is good.

Tankertrashnav
21st Feb 2019, 23:49
Can someone explain to a poor foreigner why a person AUTOMATICALLY gets a honor? Surely it's no "honor" if it's part of the job description???

Do you pay tax on it???

A "poor foreigner" need only look to his own country's honours system to see that things are no different there! Oh and you don't pay tax on it as there is no monetary advantage (enhanced pay or lump sum) involved in the appointment to British orders.

SlopJockey
22nd Feb 2019, 11:29
Great to see.

DG DSA is not just a jobs for the boys in a number of ways.

Asturias56
22nd Feb 2019, 13:09
Tanker trashnav - Tragically true - but still doesn't answer the question - why an AUTOMATIC honor?

Sounds like becoming Company MD and getting the parking slot next to the front door..............

gijoe
22nd Feb 2019, 17:42
Ex Grunt

Well the Royal Marines have got a 2* for fewer than 8,000 ........... not much more ISTR than the strength of Brize - which is run by a Gp Capt.

And of course AM Grey's new post is a "purple" one with tri-service responsibilities.

so your point is ?????

His point is what does the AM lead?

What contribution to defence does whatever it is make?

3 Commando Brigade was on operations constantly for about 10 years...I can’t imagine many RAF bits being able to claim that...

Harley Quinn
22nd Feb 2019, 18:01
His point is what does the AM lead?

What contribution to defence does whatever it is make?

3 Commando Brigade was on operations constantly for about 10 years...I can’t imagine many RAF bits being able to claim that...

Tornado force 30 years on ops
SH (Chinook, Puma) 30 years on ops.
JFH 12+ until ac withdrawn from service
Jaguar 16+ until ac withdrawn from service.

To be fair, those are just off the top of my head, there's probably plenty more out there.

Blimey, forgot the trucky fleet, just about forever getting all the other services in and out

ExAscoteer
22nd Feb 2019, 18:22

What an utterly ignorant post.

Cows getting bigger
22nd Feb 2019, 20:41
Indeed. How many years was The Fin on Southern Watch between GW1 and GW2? Is the RAF still in Afghanistan? Just a couple of mundane things that obviously missed a fan of 3 Cdo Bde. (Absolutely no disrespect to the Royal Marines who I worked with for a number of years in a truly Joint & professional arena, many of whom would disavow themselves from such puerile comment).

The new Air Marshall, should he bother to check, is responsible for Regulation & Accident Investigation and is the Defence Authority for Safety across the entirety of Defence. There's a couple on here who still think that defence capability is only judged by counting the number of bayonets.

Easy Street
22nd Feb 2019, 21:26
Is the RAF big enough to need any 3* these days. At 35,000 ish all up it is really only the size of a reinforced Division (2*).

Is your unit’s dental centre big enough to need any officers these days. At 6 or 7 ish all up it is really only the size of a small Section (Cpl). 🤔

Only bants :ugh:

Old-Duffer
23rd Feb 2019, 10:55
Interesting posts about who's been on continuous ops the longest.

STEP FORWARD Tactical Supply Wing (TSW) based at Beacon Barracks Stafford (formerly RAF Stafford).

They kicked off ops in (I think) about 1969/70 Northern Ireland and have been deployed somewhere - often multiple somewheres - ever since.

Of interest, although they are an operational unit, they have been denied a squadron standard on several occasions and when the non operational (former OCU) sqns have been allowed theirs. Double standards or what!!

Old Duffer

wub
23rd Feb 2019, 10:59
Or no standards at all.

teeteringhead
23rd Feb 2019, 13:10
SH (Chinook, Puma) 30 years on ops And Just a WEe bit longer for the SH force if you aSSume other EXcellent types (see what I did there!)

alfred_the_great
23rd Feb 2019, 15:09
Well, the RN has had the watch continuously since the 1600s, so....

Old-Duffer
23rd Feb 2019, 16:03
Rumour has it that the Wessex V at Chard has taken to the air - the Whirlwind is already on the show circuit - now where did I leave the Sycamore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O-D