PDA

View Full Version : Airbus a320 FINAL APP mode

saviboy
18th Feb 2019, 18:08
Hello everyone...

I just watched a video/briefing I found on the Airbus WIN Application done by captain Savary and published in January 2019.
In the video, captain Savary says that the FINAL APP mode doesn’t guarantee altitude constraint compliance. (Prior to a leg that includes an FPA) Therefore the APPR push button should not be pressed until the TO waypoint is a fix with a coded FPA . (EG: 3 degrees)

I never knew about that restriction and looking at the FCOM, I can’t find such a restriction..
can somebody bring clarification?

thank you

flightbooking
18th Feb 2019, 19:47
Hello everyone...

I just watched a video/briefing I found on the Airbus WIN Application done by captain Savary and published in January 2019.
In the video, captain Savary says that the FINAL APP mode doesn’t guarantee altitude constraint compliance. (Prior to a leg that includes an FPA) Therefore the APPR push button should not be pressed until the TO waypoint is a fix with a coded FPA . (EG: 3 degrees)

I never knew about that restriction and looking at the FCOM, I can’t find such a restriction..

thank you

FCOM says the approach should be armed once the TO waypoint is the final descend point. I had been thinking already why but the above would make sense, althougt i do not see any explanation in the FCOM regarding it. The relevant part of the procedure:

APPR pb on FCU ............................................................ ......................................................PRESS
Press the APPR pb when all of the following conditions are satisfied: ‐ The aircraft is cleared for approach ‐ TO waypoint is the Final Descent Point.
APP NAV......................................................... .................................CHECK ARMED or ENGAGED FINAL....................................................... ............................................................ .... CHECK ARMED

saviboy
18th Feb 2019, 19:51
Ok. Thanks. I just checked in a fresh FCOM as well..
I operate the aircraft in the USA and unfortunately we don’t use Airbus FCOM... which is why I didn’t see any change...

thanks again...

EGPFlyer
18th Feb 2019, 20:15
Note: if APPR pb is pressed earlier, FINAL APP mode may engage. As a consequence, resulting speed and altitude management in FINAL APP may be inappropriate before FDP.

We have this Note in the “Engagement Conditions” section of the FCOM. Also our FCTM details the FDP, which can be at, or before the FAF.

saviboy
18th Feb 2019, 23:04
Thank youn

sonicbum
19th Feb 2019, 10:09
Hello everyone...

thank you

Hi,

in DSC-22_30-80-30-20 there is a note :

Note: if APPR pb is pressed earlier, FINAL APP mode may engage. As a consequence,
resulting speed and altitude management in FINAL APP may be inappropriate before
FDP.

They are basically telling You that it could bust the constraints, hence arm APP when your TO point is the FDP.