PDA

View Full Version : Flightradar24

Tedderboy
14th Feb 2019, 17:48
Does anyone know if the Flightradar 24 app shows military aircraft? The reason I ask is there have been a number of occasions when out and about in Lincs when I have visually seen an RAF aircraft but it has not shown on the app. However, I have just had an '7700 alert' for an aircraft that appears to be turning and burning in the vicinity of Marham with the registration F35LTNG. I had assumed that military types would not be shown for possible security reasons?

Tiger G
14th Feb 2019, 18:38
Flightradar24 does indeed show "some" military aircraft, but is pretty rubbish in comparison to others. Try ADS-B Exchange instead. It's free, and shows more military stuff. You can even apply filters so that it only shows military stuff ;)

Chris Kebab
14th Feb 2019, 19:26
Probably only really a security issue if it identified where it was actually headed *to*, not where it had left from and where it was right at this moment. No different to looking up in the sky and seeing it fly over really.

chevvron
15th Feb 2019, 09:04
Does anyone know if the Flightradar 24 app shows military aircraft? The reason I ask is there have been a number of occasions when out and about in Lincs when I have visually seen an RAF aircraft but it has not shown on the app. However, I have just had an '7700 alert' for an aircraft that appears to be turning and burning in the vicinity of Marham with the registration F35LTNG. I had assumed that military types would not be shown for possible security reasons?
Unless any aircraft,civil or military, is using a Mode 'S' transponder it will not show on either FR24 or SBS-1 equipment.
As a '7700' squawk indicates an emergency (possibly for test purposes) however, it will show up.

Dan Gerous
15th Feb 2019, 09:43
I think you have to pay to get access to the military stuff.

oldpax
15th Feb 2019, 09:47
Saw an odd military one two days ago,a Thai military aircraft(737?) on a "Royal flight "coming from deepest Russia Kuy….something and heading for BKK.Perhaps a caviar run for the king?

Doctor Cruces
15th Feb 2019, 10:50

Still free, I use it. Unfortunately, there is a "Midland Radar Overhead" type hole over Norfolk

Just This Once...
15th Feb 2019, 10:53
Brize ATC probably claim the hole over Norfolk too.

ACW342
15th Feb 2019, 11:56
I watched this last night. I think, though I could stand to be corrected, that, as with "MayDay", you DON"T squawk 7700 for a "Practice Pan". As for viewing military aircraft, I can highly recommend 360 Radar. It must be good as my Raspberry Pi is feeding that site.

A342

Ian W
15th Feb 2019, 12:58
Probably only really a security issue if it identified where it was actually headed *to*, not where it had left from and where it was right at this moment. No different to looking up in the sky and seeing it fly over really.

On the contrary, You should look at how much detail is in the ADS-B ES ("Extended Squitter") broadcast. It provides a lot of performance information that may not be something you want to give away, and of course it also broadcasts accurate 3D positions that give a good insight into tactics both individual and formation. The ADS-B also broadcasts the equivalent of a MAC address that provides the airframe identity. All this is information that if you were to blog it on here would get you into a lot of security issues, but there is no problem with broadcasting the information in clear every half second to anyone that cares to look inside 200 miles. Indeed thanks to Iridium and their hosted ADS-B receiver payload, your complete flight and aircraft state information as you practice high energy 2 v 2 over the North Sea is available to anyone worldwide that wants to watch - tied to specific airframes .

It really is about time someone took this seriously as we are not only dealing with enthusiasts with a Rasberry Pi and a bent coathanger antenna.

weemonkey
15th Feb 2019, 13:08
On the contrary, You should look at how much detail is in the ADS-B ES ("Extended Squitter") broadcast. It provides a lot of performance information that may not be something you want to give away, and of course it also broadcasts accurate 3D positions that give a good insight into tactics both individual and formation. The ADS-B also broadcasts the equivalent of a MAC address that provides the airframe identity. All this is information that if you were to blog it on here would get you into a lot of security issues, but there is no problem with broadcasting the information in clear every half second to anyone that cares to look inside 200 miles. Indeed thanks to Iridium and their hosted ADS-B receiver payload, your complete flight and aircraft state information as you practice high energy 2 v 2 over the North Sea is available to anyone worldwide that wants to watch - tied to specific airframes .

It really is about time someone took this seriously as we are not only dealing with enthusiasts with a Rasberry Pi and a bent coathanger antenna.
And then there's the info ORAC listed 're weather satellites and unintended elint of air defence elements (which was also poohood by the illiterate)..

MarcK
15th Feb 2019, 15:55
I expect MIL will just turn it off when things get serious. Just like military ships turning off AIS. Nothing could go wrong there, could it?

Timelord
15th Feb 2019, 16:46
I watched this last night. I think, though I could stand to be corrected, that, as with "MayDay", you DON"T squawk 7700 for a "Practice Pan". As for viewing military aircraft, I can highly recommend 360 Radar. It must be good as my Raspberry Pi is feeding that site.

A342
True, you never Squawk 7700 for a practice but you sometimes do
for an airborne test of the equipment ( after warning ATC)

MFC_Fly
16th Feb 2019, 14:22
True, you never Squawk 7700 for a practice but you sometimes do
for an airborne test of the equipment ( after warning ATC)

I was once asked by centre to put out a practice pan on 121.5 AND to squawk 7700, in order to train new D&D staff.

hunterboy
16th Feb 2019, 16:50
I think Ian W was alluding to the fact that aircraft performances and tactics may be able to be seen via ADS. Unless we are double bluffing and practising duff tactics in order to confuse the enemy?

VinRouge
16th Feb 2019, 17:44
FR24 does not publish Military tracks. Period.

Also, have a look at FAA BARR programme.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2016-03-18/flight-tracking-blocking-efforts-under-way

It doesnt stop people using a DVB reciever, available for less than a tenner, and hooking it up to PC enthusiast software. You can typically track everything with ads-B to about 100 NM, using a coat hanger aerial. Or so I am told.

Apart from that being technically illegal in the UK, in accordance with the wireless telegraphy act 2006.

There are feeds out there, ADSBExchange being the main one, that rather nefariously, doesnt filter military tracks, which isnt great.

Fact is, genie is outside the bottle now. ADS-B will become an essential requirement, certainly for civilian airspace. Tracking is now Global, thanks to the latest Iridium constellation, launched by Space-X, having a piggyback ADS-B reciever on board. You can pay for a feed now with global coverage. Its called aireon (https://aireon.com/).

Airbubba
16th Feb 2019, 18:32

Are you sure about that? :)

Here's ZZ331, an RAF MRTT, coming home from Nellis after Red Flag 19-1.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1478x1086/zz331_nellis_9344c08c62847aad5e1553be8379652f35881088.jpg

Your can click this link to follow the uh, military track for the next several hours:

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR2717/1f85a615

Don't tell anybody := but here's yesterday's work on the Range, callsign GOLD25:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1020x1152/gold_25_2_1d7e91e5d74ccf066e636631033f526761df007c.jpg

VinRouge
16th Feb 2019, 19:37
The voyagers aren’t owned by MoD though are they?

You our will see new other jets for a few weeks on FR24 Then they.... disappear.....

Airbubba
17th Feb 2019, 02:54

The voyagers aren’t owned by MoD though are they?

Maybe they don't own this F-35B over RAF Marham? :confused:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1686x854/f35ltng_2_b8abd9f6b7d749acb9338ca010590bd75092d860.jpg

RAF jet EMERGENCY: F-35 Lightning Fighter in mid-air drama over NorfolkAN RAF fighter jet declared a mid-air emergency during a routine flight near its base in Norfolk.By Simon Osborne (https://www.express.co.uk/search?s=Simon%20Osborne&b=1)PUBLISHED: 09:50, Fri, Feb 15, 2019 | UPDATED: 18:06, Fri, Feb 15, 2019

The F-35 Lightning managed to land safely at RAF Marham after experiencing a "minor technical issue”. An RAF spokesman said: "The RAF can confirm an F35 Lightning experienced a minor technical issue during a routine flight last night. The aircraft landed safely." An emergency squawk is used to identify an aircraft with a possible issue and enables it to have priority over other air traffic.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1087675/RAF-jet-emergency-norfolk-f-35-lightning-fighter-RAF-Marham-Norfolk (https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1087675/RAF-jet-emergency-norfolk-f-35-lightning-fighter-RAF-Marham-Norfolk)

VinRouge
17th Feb 2019, 06:16
there is a certain processing time before its taken off. Unfortunately, as soon as an untagged octal code is up on the spotters screens, it becomes a competition to find the tail and type relating to that code. It’s as simple as relating the track on the screen to whoever is crossing the threshold at the time. It will be taken off In due course, I am sure.

from their Website (http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works)

BlockingFor security and privacy reasons information about some aircraft is limited or blocked. This includes most military aircraft and certain high profile aircraft, like Air Force One

Repos
17th Feb 2019, 08:41
I'm about 30k from LFBM and there is a lot of military activity some days, transport, helicopters and dogfights. Generally nothing shows up on FR24, but it seems the odd one does for some reason, but it's very rare.

ACW342
17th Feb 2019, 10:43
Vin Rouge "Apart from that being technically illegal in the UK, in accordance with the wireless telegraphy act 2006." Which bit of the above act states that it is illegal to receive wireless signals, other than those used for the reception of television signals, for which a license is required? It is my understanding that in the UK it is NOT illegal to receive wireless signals outside the TV spectrum, BUT, that in certain cases, it is illegal to act on the information received, hence the massive payouts by certain newspapers, revealing information from hacked phone calls. So if I see an aircraft on my computer screen, with a callsign of, say, Kitty 1, and it is squawking 7700 and I then call my local TV station to tell them that an aircraft carrying HM Queen Elizabeth II is in distress, then I am breaking the law. (Oh and by the way, I don't use a wire coat hanger as an antenna, rather an eight element co-linear co-axial (CoCo) antenna which gives me reception of ADS-B out to about about 220nm.)

A342

VinRouge
17th Feb 2019, 11:07
Vin Rouge "Apart from that being technically illegal in the UK, in accordance with the wireless telegraphy act 2006." Which bit of the above act states that it is illegal to receive wireless signals, other than those used for the reception of television signals, for which a license is required? It is my understanding that in the UK it is NOT illegal to receive wireless signals outside the TV spectrum, BUT, that in certain cases, it is illegal to act on the information received, hence the massive payouts by certain newspapers, revealing information from hacked phone calls. So if I see an aircraft on my computer screen, with a callsign of, say, Kitty 1, and it is squawking 7700 and I then call my local TV station to tell them that an aircraft carrying HM Queen Elizabeth II is in distress, then I am breaking the law. (Oh and by the way, I don't use a wire coat hanger as an antenna, rather an eight element co-linear co-axial (CoCo) antenna which gives me reception of ADS-B out to about about 220nm.)

A342
sorry, getting confused. It’s illegal to receive and disseminate a transmission, but not a broadcast. It’s complicated but it’s why we don’t have any atc tower live broadcast feeds in the uk apparently. Ads-b and MLAT are apparently fine.

beardy
17th Feb 2019, 11:09
Is it not still illegal to monitor the emergency services. It once was, but times change.

ACW342
17th Feb 2019, 13:03
Beardy,
I Believe that the emergency services use a system to broadcast and receive transmissions called trunking. Your average cheap scanner, in particular air band radios for the aviation enthusiast certainly can't do this. No, I don't know how it works and I've never understood the instructions on my iComm receiver showing how it works. I know that the PSNI not only use this but also use encrypted radio so I suspect that various other forces also encrypt their radios. As I said previously, if it IS legal to listen in to such transmissions, it is most certainly illegal to disseminate what you have heard. Perhaps those with MUCH more knowledge of the subject than I could help us out on this. Interestingly, am I breaking the law by feeding my ADS-B info to an American company based outside the UK legal and justice system. Similarly, if I feed the live position height and speed of Air Force One, is the US SS going to try and have me extradited for having revealed D J Trumps position to the world?

A342

Airbubba
17th Feb 2019, 19:08
Oddly enough, that F35LTNG with the AF351F hex code displays on FR24 for several different F-35's including this Israeli aircraft:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/699x549/dixmpl_x4ae80lf_3807c2596e42c18a09f3816edf870f3991377756.jpg

overfly
17th Feb 2019, 21:30

It does, some.

Few weeks ago, big racket over Berkshire around 3am, FR24 showed mil transport into Brize ex NBO, presume with pax for Hereford as this was a couple of days after the hotel terror siege.

India Four Two
18th Feb 2019, 03:36
Great title from a Garmin page:

What do you get by extending your squit?

https://www.garmin.com/us/intheair/ads-b/squit/

Hueymeister
18th Feb 2019, 12:33
How does one get ADS-B exchange to work? Looks like a lot of coding?

Airbubba
18th Feb 2019, 14:34
How does one get ADS-B exchange to work? Looks like a lot of coding?

If you want to view the map of flights without blocking you can click on this link (and play around with the settings to filter the planes if you like):

https://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

Go to Global Radar View, Global Radar.

Lists of currently visible military aircraft are here:

https://www.adsbexchange.com/airborne-military-aircraft/

Beatts
18th Feb 2019, 17:29
The reason some Mil show on Flightradar is when the HEX code is wrong as they block us from seeing certain HEX e.g from RAF aircraft sow hen its wrong, they show e.g the Lighting the other day.

Wensleydale
18th Feb 2019, 17:42
If the military aircraft does not turn on Mode S (or probably more usually leaves it in standby) then it will not show. There may be areas of airspace that require Mode S to be turned on - then you will see it. If the military aircraft sets emergency on its transponder, then the emergency is automatically sent on all modes - hence the emergency indication seen on Mode S from the F-35. At the end of the day, the presence on the screen for Mode S/squitter depends upon what the aircrew set on their transponder and their emission control instructions.

Hueymeister
18th Feb 2019, 18:28
If you want to view the map of flights without blocking you can click on this link (and play around with the settings to filter the planes if you like):

https://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

Go to Global Radar View, Global Radar.

Lists of currently visible military aircraft are here:

https://www.adsbexchange.com/airborne-military-aircraft/

Thanks fella,

map comes up, but with no tracks...have monkeyed with the settings, but to no avail...im on an ipad

VinRouge
18th Feb 2019, 19:07
If the military aircraft does not turn on Mode S (or probably more usually leaves it in standby) then it will not show. There may be areas of airspace that require Mode S to be turned on - then you will see it. If the military aircraft sets emergency on its transponder, then the emergency is automatically sent on all modes - hence the emergency indication seen on Mode S from the F-35. At the end of the day, the presence on the screen for Mode S/squitter depends upon what the aircrew set on their transponder and their emission control instructions.
the hex codes are filtered between raw receipt from enthusiast receivers and retransmission. This is done out of a sense of responsibility by FR. however, there are a few, Voyager due to the PFI, and new aircraft that are the exception. If you scan the UK with adsbexchange with a filter selected to military, you will see plenty of tracks. View the same in FR24. Missing. They come from the same source data.

you can’t have mil air assets goofing around without mode S, it’s too much of a risk to civilian users.

Airbubba
18th Feb 2019, 19:12
If you scan the UK with adsbexchange with a filter selected to military, you will see plenty of tracks. View the same in FR24. They come from the same source data.

They actually come from different feed networks. FR24 has much better worldwide coverage but as you say is, for the most part, filtered.

Wensleydale
18th Feb 2019, 19:35
you can’t have mil air assets goofing around without mode S, it’s too much of a risk to civilian users.

Depends where they are. I will also add that a Mode S interrogation will trigger a mode 3 response and so Mode S in standby is no big deal.

treadigraph
18th Feb 2019, 19:55
Interestingly, ADSB with military filter applied currently shows a German registered hot air balloon travelling south at some speed and 20000' across the Netherlands...:p

SPIT
20th Feb 2019, 16:44
Is there any way you can see WHAT TYPE of Aircraft (that you highlight) on ADS-B

c52
20th Feb 2019, 17:18
Experiment with menu=> layout and see what suits you best. The screen can have three parts: a map, a list of all the a/c on the map, and details of the highlighted a/c.

lotus1
20th Feb 2019, 17:28
Around about two weeks ago picked up a Russian airforce il96 on flight radar it was heading over the med towards morocco routed in laspalmas then was picked up heading towards Rabat. Have picked the vouygers from Nellis also aircraft from boscombe down departing