PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Flight Centre

Token Bird
1st Aug 2001, 14:31
Due to the lack of a search facility I'm going to rehash all the 'where best to hour-build' crap again.

I have practically made up my mind to go to Britannia and I would like to know:

1. If there is any reason I should seriously rethink.
2. What the accommodation is like.

First-hand knowledge only please.

TB ;)

Superpilot
1st Aug 2001, 14:41
Accommodation:

Ariana Drive or Biltmore Drive. These are big houses you will have to share with between 5-8 others, normally all slobs..I mean lads. So if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then go ahead :rolleyes:

Bedrooms are neat, cleaner once a week, all rooms with excellent AC system and fan. Self catering so a few visits to the supermarket every week.

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

Blindside
1st Aug 2001, 22:01
TB

No problem with hour building. You can book the plane for a week if you want. None of this 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening rubbish. Give them a ring, they are extremely friendly and will treat you as an individual.

The accomodation is ok. One of the houses has recently been sold, which leaves one. It has a pool and is of the standard of upmarket student digs. Just expect to share with a load of fellas.

Good Luck.

notice
2nd Aug 2001, 03:22
TB-I decided not to go to this place-see my comments on the other curent topic-and the last posting confirms concerns about their queer chappy culture (and I don't mean gay).

Only one house?- they cannot be serious!

Sensible
2nd Aug 2001, 11:13
But they don't MAKE you undress in front of the other boys! :D

Token Bird
2nd Aug 2001, 11:48
Hmm, stuck in a house full of blokes for a fortnight - what a nightmare! ;)

Blindside
2nd Aug 2001, 12:05
Notice, I'm not sure what you mean by chappy culture.

Just goes to show that you can't please all the people all of the time.

Whilst I was there last month, a 17 year old girl came to do her PPL and another was due in the day I left. They both stayed in the house. This was discussed before the girls got out there, if the girls had wanted anything else I am sure that it would have been organised.

To reiterate, Britannia treated me and everyone else whilst I was there as individuals. If you had any requests or special requirements they bent over backwards to accomodate you. It is a very people friendly place.

If you want to stay in different accomodation like motels or hotels you can. I didn't go out there to stay in luxurious accomodation, separate from everyone else, I went there to learn to fly.

The only thing to worry about is whether there are any social missfits in the house whilst you are there. Unfortunately, Britannia cannot guarantee this.

Just remember - There is a tw$t in every group, if you cannot spot him/her - it's you!

Best regards

Token Bird
2nd Aug 2001, 12:26
Oops, silly me - I failed to notice the identically-named thread until it was pointed out.

notice - the other thread has actually made me feel better about going there, most people said really good things.

Hoping to do a night-rating as well, does anyone know the cost? Couldn't seem to find it on the website - is it a variable thing?

Superpilot
2nd Aug 2001, 13:39
Give them a call or email. I think I paid something like $395 - can't really remember.

Si
2nd Aug 2001, 14:35
Hi,

I'm going out there on 2nd of Sept until the 23rd doing my Night, IMC and 50hours. I'll keep you all posted on what its like, but I can't wait!

Later.

TAF Oscar
2nd Aug 2001, 22:55
Night Rating (according to my invoice from last week) is $375 for the C150/C152 and $425 for the C172/PA28.

Go for it, you'll love it.

TAFO

Token Bird
3rd Aug 2001, 13:24
Is anyone going over middle of October? Does anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year in FL?

Ta,
TB

Si
3rd Aug 2001, 13:43
TokenBird,

Well, I know that the worst time of year especially for CB's is around July-August from here it gets better with the best weather in December. Saying that though when i contacted them they said that despite the weather someone still managed to do 100 hours in two weeks!!! So it can't be too bad. You'll just have to be up early to get the hours in.

Hope this helps

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Aug 2001, 15:18
100hrs in 2 weeks is dangerous and displays poor airmanship in your logbook for all to see.

Token Bird
3rd Aug 2001, 16:47
Good point WWW.

I'll be happy with 50 hrs in 2 weeks.

paulo
3rd Aug 2001, 18:47
Upgrading the aircraft at BFC?

Hope they've got fire extinguishers these days. Our instructor used to bring his own. Not sure what happened with solo students.

QUERY
3rd Aug 2001, 20:07
Britannia sounds dodgy but seems OK for cheapskates, although isn't a night rating (extra £375 at Britannia) usually included in a JAA PLL package Florida?

Sensible
3rd Aug 2001, 20:36
100 hrs in 2 weeks? that's nearly SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS A DAY actual flying!!! about three to four a day is about right methinks! and that's if the thunder storms hold off!!

[ 03 August 2001: Message edited by: Sensible ]

Si
3rd Aug 2001, 21:17
WWW,

I totally agree, I couldn't beleive it and am not sure that it was totally true!

I'm hoping to do around 70 hours in three weeks.

Cheers

TAF Oscar
3rd Aug 2001, 22:30
Token Bird

I was there doing my PPL last year October. The weather was no problem at all, a couple of days with showers but the biggest issue for students was wind (some things never change...!), often too strong for first solos. Not too challenging for hour builders.

Last year as a PPL student I flew 50 hours in 3 weeks. I agree that 100 hours in 2 weeks would be ridiculous, I can't believe that someone would do that. Some hour builders were averaging 5 hours/day when I was there last month, but that was including quite some night flying, and seemed like the maximum.

All the aircraft have fire extinguishers now, Jatin & George are spending heavily to rectify the lack of investment by the previous owners.

TAFO

hdaae
4th Aug 2001, 07:01
Ive worked as a flight instructor in Florida and most CFI's are very much encuraged by the flight schools to aim for 8 hours a day of flying, which is the MAX the FARs allow.

So...poor airmanship...agree...but sadly VERY common in the CFI stage of your career.
You are mentally and physically worn out, and add all the paperwork afterwards, your looking at a 12-16 hour day easy.

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: SkyBug ]

mad_jock
4th Aug 2001, 12:16
TB i will be flying out on the 31st Sept to hour build and do MEP down at Naples.

As has been said they are a good bunch. And have no problems with me taking a plane down to naples to do the MEP.

MJ