PDA

View Full Version : Advice

KLEO
1st Aug 2002, 22:40
Wonder if someone could give me a bit of advice.
I am in my late twenties and currently work in IT, but have finally realised that I do not want to do that for the rest of my life and would really like a complete career change working in the airline industry, ideally within dispatch.
I would be keen to know how easy it is to get into, if anyone knows of any jobs available at the moment, or if there is a different path people tend to follow. Additionally, if anyone has any contact numbers or addresses for the relevant recruitment sections they would be much appreciated.
Supposing there are jobs out there for the likes of me, well ideally I would be looking to work within the North West area (Manchester, Liverpool) as I am considering moving there, however I am currently based in London, so would also be interested in any jobs going in at Gatwick, Luton, Heathrow etc.
Thanks in advance

waco
2nd Aug 2002, 12:21
Sorry...

My advice would be...don't.

In the old days, we were poor, but the job was great fun. These days, we remain poor, the job is certainly not fun and you work perpetually awaiting the next, take over, merger or just...exit stage left.

CainanUK
2nd Aug 2002, 15:23
I disagree wholeheartedly. While yes the pay is certainly not the best, I wouldnt be doing it if I did not enjoy it. Some days are better than others, but I do enjoy the job. If you are interested, I would look at the handling agencies (GlobeGround/Servisair, Aviance, Reed Aviation, Groundstar etc). They will generally hire you if you seem to have bit of aviation knowledge and are smart and a quick learner. While the money is not the best, it is a good place to get experience before looking into going to work for the airlines proper. I would suggest giving it a go.

Sweeny Todd!
2nd Aug 2002, 23:02
What sort of Dispatch do you mean?
There are the Aircraft dispatchers who supervise turnarounds etc or Flight dispatchers who work in the Airlines Operations centre and are involved in Flight planning and control of the aircraft.

Either way though there's only one way in and I'm afraid to say its at the bottom.

You'll need to start off in passenger services before moving to Aircraft dispatch and even then you'll have a fight on your hands as most people want to make that move.

If its Flight dispatch you're interested in then its pretty much the next step as most people in the job have worked on the ramp at some point.

Its a long struggle with a salary thats less than a Government handout but I happen to think its worth it, and for anyone that wants to winge about the job/wages why dont you leave and put us all out of our misery?!

Think about it hard and good luck if you go for it!

:D

boredcounter
2nd Aug 2002, 23:53
KLEO,
The last handling agent I saw looking to take on in dispatch was paying 13K on a temp contract........
Late 20's and working in IT, mate even if you are looking to move North from London, before you take the plunge, check the cashflow and listen to waco.
To give you a datum, I am Midlands based, in Airline Ops, with 15 years in, mid 30's 26K, and that includes all bolt ons such as shift pay. Funny, I concider myself to be lucky.I have only relocated twice, and been made redundent twice...........The early years were good fun.
Think hard about it before you decide, and if it IS what you want to do with your life, I am sure all here will help as best we can.
Watch out though, IT IS A BUG and when it bites......................
As for LPL, Emerald seem to be looking for Ops staff most of the time. Search back through this forum, you will find a link to the almost Emerald web site. Read what people have to say, and draw your own conclusions.
Try www.ukoma.org and www.flightinternational.com if you are not at the mo.
It is a hard slog, as I have seen anyways, and when you want to move again, just try and translate into non-aviation what you do.
Ever thought of trying IT within the industry, might just give you an insight, and poss a better salary.........................
Me, as I said, !% years in, a trainset worth £150m, 200 crew, and outside of 9-5 hours....it is all mine, for good or bad.

Do not be put off.

Bored

KLEO
6th Aug 2002, 21:12
Thanks for the help, I am still interested and will try the companies and websites suggested.
I guess there are some downsides to the job, but then there are to most jobs.
I have a real interest in aviation and even the thought of the underinflated pay and unsociable hours still beats sitting at my desk looking at lines of code.

Chooch
20th Aug 2002, 11:05
Mate, Boredcounter hit it on the nosey when he said you
might try to consider IT within the industry..

There are plenty of opps, especially if you go in with a
flight ops provider - money will certainly be more in line
with what you are on now, and you will get the best
of both worlds....

Dont chuck it away to become a handling agent, as without
a license or live dispatch experience that is all you will grab
for now....and believe me, once you are in as a H/A without
the previous you will get so swamped down with duty it will
take an age to get out...

if you are rich, go for it....best job in the world !!

I would try an IT job with a provider - someone like sita,
sabre or eds...not sure if jeppey is still working out of uk
or if it shifted all its ops to the states

good luck amigo !

:cool:

OO-AOG
20th Aug 2002, 17:54
KLEO

I must agree that it's not easy to get a dispatch job without experience, airlines are not keen to spend too much on training these days. I've started as an half time push-back driver and after 2 years I made my way to the sick-house called dispatch, and later eventually expatriated myself for a better package (Switzerland is definately the most interesting place to work as an ops guy, scandinavia being close probably, Middle-East is going down salary wise unfortunately). As you obviously
have a qualified job in IT, I don't think you will be willing to start at the lower end, as I did. Anyway, you might find a job as an ops assistant, experience not really required, and could expect to climb the levels quite fast. As another user said, check often airlines websites employment opportunities, and of course flightinternational(.com)

Good luck anyway.

Cheers ;)

BryanC123
20th Aug 2002, 18:23
I think the hardest thing is going to get into a position ahead of all the poor guys and gals who have been made redundent over the past year.

As the saying goes "the grass always looks greener on the other side" Ive been working in a dispatch position for an airline for 3 years now and am looking to get out. Its just not fun anymore and the amount of work you have to put in for the amount of pay you get is criminal..............:mad:

Fiction
21st Aug 2002, 06:13
KLEO,

Have a look at the topic Boring.

Just look at the number of companies the average "OPS" person has gone thru and this will give you some idea of how erratic and unpredictable this business can be, but it can be great fun and really enjoyable. Remember, you usually have to live close to an airport !!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Chooch
21st Aug 2002, 09:27
Moot point just raised.

If you are focussed on this and really want a job in Ops, I would
suggest you consider looking overseas and take up a job
possibly in one of the Gulf States. This will likely be more
forthcoming, and the pay will be better. It is also where you will
get your experience, but depends on whether you are willing to
bail out of the UK for a few years...

If you have money saved, you might consider forking out and
getting yourself FAA trained - this will give you more credibility
than having nothing under your belt...I would recommend you
do this prior to shifting across the water.

Cheers
;) :p :D