PDA

View Full Version : How to learn about the industry

redsnail
1st Aug 2002, 22:20
As some of you know I have a fair bit of flying history but not in the UK. I am currently working in ops for a "small" night freight company. It is a very good way to increase your industry knowledge whilst waiting for a flying position.
I cannot recommend it enough.
You get to see what the "big picture" is like + handle many different scenarios.
Sure, I am not flying (yet) but it beats stacking shelves in Tesco's.

AMEX
1st Aug 2002, 23:00
Hi reddo.
I certainly agree with you. Things may not have worked the way I was hoping for but on the way I have managed to get a job working at Check in for 6 months and as Cabin Crew for 9 months.
Frankly I am really glad I did it. I had a great time in both jobs (evening ladies;)) and learnt things that hopefully will come useful some day on the line.
Having a good a certain degree of understanding about problems faced by ground staffs/Cabin crew shoudl hopefully create a better work relationship with improved efficiency when having to make a final decision.
Dealing with delayed PAX with murderous tendencies, businessmen who want to sue you, the airline and the rest of the universe simply because you asked them kindly to place their cabin bag, temporarily, in the overhead bin for T/O, certainly helped me to polish my people's skills without eroding too much and too quickly my patience.

All very positive experiences and today whenever I deal with airport staffs, I make sure I don't forget where I come from.

timzsta
3rd Aug 2002, 17:44
Agree with you both totally. Things have not gone the way I had planned either. But I guessed that working as a Check In agent had to better for my CV when it comes to getting a job hopefully on the Flight Deck one day, when compared against McDonalds, which is a comparable salary. My 6 day on, 3 day off roster is also perfect for my ATPL distance learning course.

I too have learned a lot more about how an airline works, and why decisions are made. My people skills are developing too and as pointed out, having an understanding of what other people in the company do has to help me one day become a better Captain.

I usually let my flying club know when my days off are too. This means sometimes the odd ferry trip may get put my way, or at very least "we've got 2 a/c that need desperately to go to the hangar but no one is around to do it". Poodle off up the club, taxi the a/c over and talk to the the engineers about how they are going to fix it, the love it. You can learn loads this way.

jjdlavender
4th Aug 2002, 20:35
What is the approach and point of contact for ground work at Heathrow to build up experience?

I will also post this on a separate notice.

g10
4th Aug 2002, 21:24
I'd love to learn more about the industry and am willing to spend my weekends and evenings voluntarily for anyone involved in aviation in the London area (LHR,LGW,STN,LTN)

Does anyone have any good contacts I could approach or should i just send a letter and my CV to all companies working in this area?

redsnail
4th Aug 2002, 22:53
I think where many people make an error is only writing to the bigger companies. I don't know much about them but I dare say you would get either the brush off or only working in one area. I'd target the smaller companies. Bearing in mind their budget isn't as big either. You do get exposed to a heck of a lot more though.
Use connections and see what happens. Some smaller companies use the ops job as a training ground/stepping stone to a flying position.

AMEX
4th Aug 2002, 23:28
If you are looking for a job out of LHR or LGW, try to grab the Airport Newspaper (what's the name again?).
If you live near LGW, try the job centre at Ashdown house (South Term, next to the "Tunnel" on the perimeter road, where the CAA bus pick you up too). Most jobs will be advertised but you will also be able to pick a copy of that paper.
In fact a couple of years ago, there was a paper for LGW and one for LHR but they ended merging it into one so both airports will be covered.

Lots of seasonal work with Servisair, Avions on the ground or with the charters as CC.