PDA

View Full Version : Wind?

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Feb 2019, 18:12
So, will our easyJet be able to get into Belfast tomorrow afternoon?

PAXboy
7th Feb 2019, 23:30
If the wind is inside the limits approved for the aircraft - then Yes! But the answer will not be known until very much closer to the time. If winds are changeable, the flight crew might not know either way until you are over the Irish Sea. But, the short answer is - Probably!

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2019, 07:20
EZY181 landed at BFS from LTN 10 minutes ago, so that's encouraging.

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 09:39
If the wind is inside the limits approved for the aircraft - then Yes!
Err...not necessarily.

I love it when "experts" comment.

Hotel Tango
8th Feb 2019, 10:56
I love it when "experts" comment.

Yes OK, but this is the SLF forum and, in the absence of any input from those better qualified, you may get an answer from a passengers point of view. It may have been more useful for you to expand on your comment and educate us.

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 13:52
In the absence of any input from somebody qualified to comment why would somebody not qualified to comment, comment? Especially with a) a ludicrous answer and b) an answer that anyone with an ounce of intelligence would already know.

Doors to Automatic
8th Feb 2019, 14:20
Belfast Aldergrove has two runways at 90 degree angles so is less susceptible to direct cross-winds.

Hotel Tango
8th Feb 2019, 15:44
Great answer Chesty! So you honestly expect every passenger who reads this SLF forum to know the answer? It would have been less time consuming and much friendlier for you to be so good to explain the reasons. Instead you chose to be pompous and, quite frankly, insulting. Excellent stuff!

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 16:25
I expect that everyone who reads this forum could quite accurately assess that "probably" is definitely the right answer.

S.o.S.
8th Feb 2019, 17:06
I thought PAXboy was trying to be helpful. In PPRuNe we stick with the adage: Play the ball - not the player. So would those who know better please answer the question and state why they know better. Irrespective of the outcome of this particular flight, it would be helpful to others.

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 17:36
Firstly, he may have thought he was being helpful but a definitive "If the wind is inside the limits approved for the aircraft - then Yes!" is incorrect. There's a current thread about an Emirates diverting to Manchester from Gatwick. Anecdotally, the wind was "inside the limits" when it went around and when it diverted.

Secondly, his other answer to the same question was "probably". It's at odds with his first answer and how much help is that to anyone anyway as every flight will "probably" land?

Maybe he's qualified to judge? Perhaps he could let us know...

It's been pointed out to me that this is the SLF forum, but it's the SLF forum on the the Professional Pilot' Rumour Network and there is a wealth of information available to anyone who wants to to ask. Is it too much to expect an answer from someone who hasn't just sat in the back for 40 years?

Edit to add that I have only addressed his comments.

BRUpax
8th Feb 2019, 17:58
Chesty Morgan, the bottom line is that you've done nothing but belittle posters and promote your (perceived) supremacy without actually answering the question! :ugh:

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 18:10
Actually I've belittled the answer not the person who posted it and I haven't mentioned myself once (oops now I've done it). Your post is about as accurate as the second one.

Here's your answer - it's impossible to know. End of.

​​​​​​​

kkbuk
8th Feb 2019, 20:43
What has ended?

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2019, 21:57
What has ended?

It's an expression.

Often used when you're in a hole, and have decided to stop digging ...

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 22:05
And just as often not.

Pistonprop
8th Feb 2019, 22:22
Often used when you're in a hole, and have decided to stop digging ...

or, I shall have the last word!

Auxtank
8th Feb 2019, 22:26
So, will our easyJet be able to get into Belfast tomorrow afternoon?

Probably not - now you've posted it here.
This is getting ridiculous.

Some idiot posted about this approach in to LHR earlier (calling the pilot a hero - was a standard Windsheer G/A) and now the BBC has picked it up and run with it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47177383/plane-struggles-to-land-in-strong-winds-at-heathrow-airport

This forum is constantly monitored by the hacks and they don't now any better than to simply report what they see here - however daft and inconsequential it is.

So, no, I think your flight is utterly doomed, because you posed the question here - but at least you'll know it might make it onto to Facebook or some bollocks like that with the title; "Passengers Escape Death" etc, etc.

Moral; don't feed the hacks. Apart from Brexit, news is thin at the moment.

That is all.

PAXboy
8th Feb 2019, 22:31
Crikey! What did I start?

Yes, I am a pax and CM is listed as holding an ATPL. I replied because Gertrude's enquiry was about a rotation the following day. Had there have been more time, I would not have replied but I hoped to give encouragement that was why I commented. I wrote from my own experience and that, probably, all would be well. As always you just have to turn up as requested and see what happens.

End of?

Auxtank
8th Feb 2019, 22:45
Crikey! What did I start?

Yes, I am a pax and CM is listed as holding an ATPL. I replied because Gertrude's enquiry was about a rotation the following day. Had there have been more time, I would not have replied but I hoped to give encouragement that was why I commented. I wrote from my own experience and that, probably, all would be well. As always you just have to turn up as requested and see what happens.

End of?

You didn't start anything. The Thread was started by Gertrude the Wombat, wallaby, Gertie, whatever...

Who, quite frankly not only should have known better but in fact was probably doing it as a wind-up.

A reasonably successful one at that.

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2019, 22:54
You didn't start anything. The Thread was started by Gertrude the Wombat, wallaby, Gertie, whatever...

And who is presumably by now in Belfast. Or not, as the case may be

Auxtank
8th Feb 2019, 22:59
And who is presumably by now in Belfast. Or not, as the case may be

One waits with bated breath for the front pages of the tabloids in the morning to see if our brother Gertrude made it. :D

wowzz
9th Feb 2019, 02:40
I think Gertrude would be better off sticking with his gripping tales of council meetings in Jet Blast, instead of asking such a fatuous question.

PAXboy
9th Feb 2019, 03:41
I see that Gertrude lists their public profile:
Licence Type (eg CPL. Pilots only)
PPL, IMCr, sea

So they certainly know more than me!