PDA

View Full Version : Storing fireworks in hangar & G-AZLY

Aeronut
7th Feb 2019, 17:35
Now Colin Furze is fantastic, a national treasure even, don’t get me wrong,

I along with 6,999,999 others love his YouTube antics but would you want him storing 2000+ firework rockets in the same hangar as your pride and joy?
Reims 150 G-AZLY visible along with a yellow & black Zlin and one other at the 1:00 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/Jtols_QhuWw

Its inevitable that Colin will go up in smoke one day which is his prerogative of course but I suggest he could reduce the risks to others property.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Feb 2019, 17:52
Rather silly idea, one ignition source and it all goes....

The 'Zlin' is actually a Chipmunk Mk23, G-AOTF and looks like it's filmed at Spanhoe....

Aeronut
7th Feb 2019, 18:12
Rather silly idea, one ignition source and it all goes....

The 'Zlin' is actually a Chipmunk Mk23, G-AOTF and looks like it's filmed at Spanhoe....

Aah yes thanks Chuffer, you’re right, Chipmunk it is.

Jan Olieslagers
7th Feb 2019, 18:15
Shouldn't the owner of the hangar be concerned above all? But it never hurts to check the small print of one's fire insurance - if available...

Aeronut
7th Feb 2019, 18:30
Good point Jan.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
7th Feb 2019, 19:32
Not only a silly idea but possibly illegal too. 100+ kg of 1.3G and doubtful if the site has an explosives storage licence; certainly not in the hangar with aircraft.
Hangar owner needs to check more than just his insurance.

BackPacker
8th Feb 2019, 06:44
Agree. There are strict regulations regarding explosives storage, including fireworks. I worked at a shop that sold fireworks during the festive season. We had our own in-store bunker, where the fireworks were kept overnight. And when the fireworks were on display, each batch of each type was in its own metal box (actually a carpenters toolbox - we had about a hundred of them).

During the five or so days that we sold the fireworks, police were in twice a day to check compliance with regulations. Mostly not selling to minors, but the rest too.

Cusco
8th Feb 2019, 16:52
Our hangar insurance won't even let us store distress flares....

Jan Olieslagers
9th Feb 2019, 11:24
[[ slightly off - topic ]]
@BackPacker: yes, Dutch regulations on storage and sales of fireworks are very strict. Which did not avoid the Enschede disaster, unfortunately. Still, there is little sense in such strict ruling by one single country: the net effect is that the Dutch come and buy their fireworks in Belgium. And I hear rumours of a new tendency for both Dutch and Belgians to buy them in Germany - where normally everything is super-strictly regulated AND the rules that be are implemented vigourously. Which cannot always be said for Belgium :blush:

ShyTorque
9th Feb 2019, 11:34
Don't European regulations exist for the storage of fireworks?