Want to try that one again?

Let me try:

”They’re too big; too slow”

😉

Buster Hyman
7th Feb 2019, 04:42
Want to try that one again?
Oooh. Can I have a go?

"The aircraft in question is a sizeable piece of machinery. It's weight, combined with its sizeable drag inducing airframe, is a limiting factor to its attainable speed with the engines supplied!"

How'd I do?

maggot
7th Feb 2019, 04:58
.85 too slow?

Dang

Shame about the empty wt

Beer Baron
7th Feb 2019, 06:21
I don't think it's 'to slow', it just flies to [sic] high.

ilikecheese
7th Feb 2019, 06:38
What’s the most likely “contract amendment” that they speak of? How do airbus get adequate compensation for the cancelled orders? Commitment to a different type in the future?

wishiwasupthere
7th Feb 2019, 06:39
There to big to slow

Lol, how’s that superior American schooling system working out for you?

OnceBitten
7th Feb 2019, 07:52
What’s the most likely “contract amendment” that they speak of? How do airbus get adequate compensation for the cancelled orders? Commitment to a different type in the future?

Probably offset with a soon to be announced A350 order is my bet.

Dee Vee
7th Feb 2019, 08:36
As a passenger the A380 is my favorite aircraft. Makes it very easy to pick a carrier if one has it and Qantas don't.

Angle of Attack
7th Feb 2019, 08:40
Wouldn’t be surprised if the current 8 bucket of bolts disappear within 5 years as well, they are as economical as a fly screen in a submarine. In fact since they are committed to an upgrade it’s almost certain they are gone...

V-Jet
7th Feb 2019, 09:13
Where in the world would we be without spelling or grammar?

Why, America of course!

In other breaking news - actually, there is none. Napoleon’s expansion continuning apace. Even if this particular expansion does seem sensible....

morno
7th Feb 2019, 09:16
As a passenger the A380 is my favorite aircraft. Makes it very easy to pick a carrier if one has it and Qantas don't.

Those 12 or so they have must be a figment of my imagination then

Anti Skid On
7th Feb 2019, 09:21
Lol, how’s that superior American schooling system working out for you?
Beat me to it; must have ingested too much aluminum

Anti Skid On
7th Feb 2019, 09:23
The A350 is an impressive machine

Capn Bloggs
7th Feb 2019, 10:05
Where in the world would we be without spelling or grammar?

Why, America of course!

In other breaking news - actually, there is none. Napoleon’s expansion continuning apace.
Fail! :}

as economical as a fly screen in a submarine
Thinking about this one as well...

V-Jet
7th Feb 2019, 10:39
Screens too small, thumbs too big, age too great. At least I’m still continuning:)

ve3id
7th Feb 2019, 10:49
Screens too small, thumbs too big, age too great. At least I’m still continuning:)
I tried to look up continune. I couldn't find it, but I think it has something to do with lack of bladder control at DH!

AerialPerspective
7th Feb 2019, 14:21
Oooh. Can I have a go?

"The aircraft in question is a sizeable piece of machinery. It's weight, combined with its sizeable drag inducing airframe, is a limiting factor to its attainable speed with the engines supplied!"

How'd I do?

You'd be a failure as a manager because to succeed in management you would have to have said something like...

"The aerial transport UNIT is an OUTSIZED PIECE that presents an ISSUE AROUND the AIRBORNE 'SPACE' and is potentially 'SUB-OPTIMAL' with respect to the negative profit 'SPACE', GOING FORWARDS" (not much room to 'celebrate success' or 'reset expectations' despite copious quantities of 'reaching out' and multiple 'ideation' sessions).

KRviator
7th Feb 2019, 15:42
You'd be a failure as a manager because to succeed in management you would have to have said something like...

"The aerial transport UNIT is an OUTSIZED PIECE that presents an ISSUE AROUND the AIRBORNE 'SPACE' and is potentially 'SUB-OPTIMAL' with respect to the negative profit 'SPACE', GOING FORWARDS" (not much room to 'celebrate success' or 'reset expectations' despite copious quantities of 'reaching out' and multiple 'ideation' sessions).Have I ever worked under you? :}

Stationair8
7th Feb 2019, 23:49
Thought AJ, would have kept the orders and then handed them over to Aliance to operate.

Una Due Tfc
8th Feb 2019, 00:05
There to big to slow.

I'm assuming from your ID that you're aware the 747 and A380 are the 2 fastest commercial airliners in service today.

Trevor the lover
8th Feb 2019, 01:08
It's been a while since a thread has been this enjoyable.

4 Holer
8th Feb 2019, 02:11
UNA... Yep the B747s sure are the fastest ..... Why is the A380 forty 40+ minutes slower LAX to SYD if the Peugeot is so quick ??? Because its slow.

Veruka Salt
8th Feb 2019, 02:24
4 Holer,

LRC in the A350 is M0.85.

I believe the 787 is similar.

Buster Hyman
8th Feb 2019, 05:07

"The aerial transport UNIT is an OUTSIZED PIECE that presents an ISSUE AROUND the AIRBORNE 'SPACE' and is potentially 'SUB-OPTIMAL' with respect to the negative profit 'SPACE', GOING FORWARDS" (not much room to 'celebrate success' or 'reset expectations' despite copious quantities of 'reaching out' and multiple 'ideation' sessions).
:}
As I have no idea about what I typed, or what you replied, I think I am excellent Management material! :ok:

Going Boeing
8th Feb 2019, 07:35
UNA... Because its slow.

OK, I’ll have a go - “Because it’s slow”

I recall that punctuation was taught in primary school and is essential to convey the correct meaning.

Pinky the pilot
8th Feb 2019, 08:11
It's been a while since a thread has been this enjoyable.

Sorry Trevor, but I must disagree! I cannot see how a thread such as this with so many basic spelling, punctuation and grammar errors in some of the posts could possibly be described as enjoyable.:ugh:

Posts written supposedly by Pilots, whom one would think to be reasonably educated and intelligent!

If anything, I find this thread somewhat depressing!:sad:

Buster;:ok::D

Una Due Tfc
8th Feb 2019, 08:31
UNA... Yep the B747s sure are the fastest ..... Why is the A380 forty 40+ minutes slower LAX to SYD if the Peugeot is so quick ??? Because its slow.

I can only comment on what I see going onto and coming off the NAT. The 747 can do M090 in a rush which I’ve never seen the fugly bus do, but fugly cruises at M086 whereas the Queen cruises at M085 in my experience. I can’t comment on what the upside down operators in Australasia do with both types as It’s been years since I spoke to a NZ 744 and I’ve never spoken to a Qantas.

Atlas Shrugged
11th Feb 2019, 01:52
Good......they're too fat, ugly, and horrible and make real planes laugh when they taxi by.......

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/638x445/aa_e2ee77af1e3844630df1cfaa34d9fd571a98b31d.jpg

Capn Bloggs
11th Feb 2019, 02:06
Looks more like an argument between dinosaurs to me! :}

MACH082
11th Feb 2019, 02:15
The 380 cruises a little quicker, but it goes straight up and has a lower TAS.

The 74 cruises a tad slower, but stays lower for longer with a higher TAS. So it used to quite often overtake underneath.

I know what I’d rather fly. I also know what I’d rather pax in.

The 74 will probably still be flying on one form or another when the 380 is not.

knobbycobby
13th Feb 2019, 08:53
If Airbus close the A380 production line Qantas can cancel the A380 orders with ZERO penalty.
Joyce will replace A380 with 777 A350 from 2022

Rated De
13th Feb 2019, 19:37
If Airbus close the A380 production line Qantas can cancel the A380 orders with ZERO penalty.
Joyce will replace A380 with 777 A350 from 2022

What is interesting is what book value is assigned to these aircraft?
Analysts, at least those who were not 'picked' to cover Qantas and attend 'special briefings' were long concerned with the book value of Qantas aircraft. It was something that puzzled as the value appeared high.
A top 4 auditor and executive management agree on book value. Such a lucrative job doesn't see too many questions asked!

Little Napoleon used (timed) the write down (impairment) of the International fleet in 2014 to claim the 'biggest loss' in Qantas' history. Unions fell over themselves to accept a pay freeze.
That the 'loss' was on paper and 'amazingly' coincided with a 'transformation' due less depreciation, the VERY NEXT YEAR, meant that all those incredibly co-incidental executive options could vest right when the share price accelerated!

Wash, rinse and repeat?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a380/airbus-to-give-update-on-a380-shutdown-plans-sources-idUSKCN1Q1259

TBM-Legend
14th Feb 2019, 11:47
Airbus just announced A380 shutdown. No more orders. [ref FlightGlobal]