PDA

View Full Version : Emirates to Fill Pilot Gap With Exodus From Etihad, Norwegian

sheikhthecamel
6th Feb 2019, 23:04
From a Bloomberg article on 6th Feb, based on an internal Emirates memo:

The number of viable applications it (EK) is receiving “is higher than the number of candidates that can be invited.”
Hong Kong Airlines has also contacted Dubai-based Emirates about opportunities to temporarily transfer some cockpit crew, according to the document
“The current situation with several airlines in financial difficulty globally leaves Emirates in a good position to be sourcing and selecting good-quality pilots,” the memo says.
According to the memo, 499 crew have been deemed eligible to join from this coming April through the end of 2019.

Will this save EK from the (supposedly) high attrition amongst current flight crew?

Joker11
7th Feb 2019, 06:18
DY pilots are leaving? I thought they offered a decent package.

Well EK can now poach Germania pilots I guess.

What happened to the SAA dudes? Didn't a few of them join?

bumpy737
7th Feb 2019, 06:37
Was asking myself the same question, are there really that much DY pilots leaving? And where did they got that magical number 499?

sheikhthecamel
7th Feb 2019, 06:44
DY pilots are leaving? I thought they offered a decent package.

Well EK can now poach Germania pilots I guess.

What happened to the SAA dudes? Didn't a few of them join?

The article says that they recruited 52 pilots last month, the highest number since August 2016, Maybe those are the SAA chaps?

donpizmeov
7th Feb 2019, 12:04
Less than 40 from SAA I believe .

Joker11
7th Feb 2019, 13:27
Was asking myself the same question, are there really that much DY pilots leaving? And where did they got that magical number 499?

Spoke to a mate of mine at DY. He says he is not aware of any DY guys leaving. Actually the opposite. He knows many EK and FZ guys that joined DY.

bumpy737
7th Feb 2019, 15:06
Spoke to a mate of mine at DY. He says he is not aware of any DY guys leaving. Actually the opposite. He knows many EK and FZ guys that joined DY.

Well the reason I was asking is that I know some guys that attended the EK screenings in Oct/Nov last year. Some were successful some not, but they were told, that they will have to wait until the 2nd part of 2019 to join the company and some of the successful already took some other job offers and EK is still inviting new candidates for screening...so do they really need that high number of pilots? Can’t even imagine that they would be able to train all these 499 pilots in a reasonable time...

Joker11
7th Feb 2019, 16:03
Well the reason I was asking is that I know some guys that attended the EK screenings in Oct/Nov last year. Some were successful some not, but they were told, that they will have to wait until the 2nd part of 2019 to join the company and some of the successful already took some other job offers and EK is still inviting new candidates for screening...so do they really need that high number of pilots? Can’t even imagine that they would be able to train all these 499 pilots in a reasonable time...

499? I can't imagine it either. Maybe those pilots from DY are just attracted by the natural push and pull factors. Better career oppertunity, change of scenary or the chance for wide-body time etc.

A mate of a mate of mine went from business jet to join Wizzair cause he was bored and wanted rostered flying instead of always on standby.