PDA

View Full Version : Westland Scout ID

Lenny123
4th Feb 2019, 11:32
Hi there.
please can you give help identifying Westland Scout with large white capital M and another with P on the front of the Aircraft (Nose) please?
AAC Squadron or?
Thanks

Lynxman
4th Feb 2019, 17:50
A photo would help.

Sloppy Link
4th Feb 2019, 18:30
Hi there.
please can you give help identifying Westland Scout with large white capital M and another with P on the front of the Aircraft (Nose) please?
AAC Squadron or?
Thanks
I can probably help but I need some clue.....
RM and some AAC Sqns used to put a letter on the nose to assist trooping "chalk one, Mike" etc, it was also used during radio silence to send simple visual messages "M1" would decode to return for fuel (or whatever). I don't recal Sqns being allocated specific letters, each Regt would deconflict amongst themselves, it would have been unusual for two Sqns from different Regiments to be operating alongside each other so hopefully two aircraft M shouldn't be at the same spot but it is possible I suppose.
As per previous, need a phot.

diginagain
5th Feb 2019, 08:18
The Wallop cabs had at white letters about 8" high at times. I think there's one on public display outside the bunshop by the A343.

Sloppy Link
5th Feb 2019, 09:16
The Wallop cabs had at white letters about 8" high at times. I think there's one on public display outside the bunshop by the A343.
I think that was more to help ATC identify Aircraft with student pilots at the controls.

diginagain
5th Feb 2019, 09:55
I think that was more to help ATC identify Aircraft with student pilots at the controls.

It also made it easier for studes to load themselves into the cab they'd signed-for, and for the fine chaps of Bristow to pull the right one out of the shed. I can't recall any meaningful RT interaction during my time at Wallop, other than practice QGH on BFW.

Lenny123
5th Feb 2019, 22:42
Hi. Thanks everyone.

It wont let me post pics or urls

There is one on AB Pics co uk XW282 that has a large white W on the Nose its about 2 ft x 2ft

Thanks V Much

Hi

Seems logical

Thanks

Hi

I would really if possible like to know Serial?

Thanks to all:-)

NutLoose
5th Feb 2019, 23:49
P was XV134 click on the serial for the photo on the demobbed link.

M was XR595
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh_dodson/9254921459/

For more and the XV134 picture
http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=957

I cannot find a shot with the M on the nose but try googling the civi reg for it or the serial no.

But images of it show a lump on the nose so maybe it was removed later, it is on the tail though