PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about quitting

Dan09
3rd Feb 2019, 16:01
Hi all

This is my first time posting - I hope it's in the right place on the site.

I'm currently training for a PPL in the UK. I'm at close to 40 hours and just started navigation - and I really dislike it!

Whilst in the circuit I found myself questioning whether I was really enjoying this anymore, but persevered to first solo. I've now done three nav exercises (all dual), including two land-aways, and I'm close to packing it in. The first was back in September - after this I decided to take a break from flying, and didn't go again until December, and then again early in January. And to be honest, I haven't really missed it much. Since then I've come close to booking more lessons, but the thought of flying again fills me with anxiety.

I enjoyed the earlier lessons - when I could turn up, fly some handling exercises with the instructor for an hour and go home. But I'm finding navigation to be extremely stressful, and I'm asking myself whether I really need a stressful hobby when I've already got a stressful enough job. Coupled with this is the fact that this part of the course is time consuming, particularly when you factor in the pre-flight planning.

I'm now questioning what I'll do with my license if/when I get it. Based on current experience, I can't see myself ever wanting to hire a plan for half a day and go cross-country flying, so will probably just end up punching holes in the sky in the circuit to maintain currency.

So I'm wondering whether I should just cut my losses and stop now. But I also have a desire to "finish what I started", even if nothing comes of it afterwards. Grateful for any advice, particularly other people's experience of navigation/cross-country training. Perhaps I just need to stick with it and it'll all come together eventually? Would love to get to the point where I can look out the window and really appreciate what I'm doing, but this feels like a million miles away at the moment.

All the best,
Dan

funfly
3rd Feb 2019, 16:55
Quit.
You can always start again another day.
Lots of things to spend your money on, drink, women, cars etc.

pilotmike
3rd Feb 2019, 17:05
Hi Dan

Everyone has gone through doubts when learning to fly. But you've already shown that you can do it - by being sent solo. That's a big step, and somebody with good judgement has decided that you're very much good enough to cut it. Most people are pleased to get out of the circuit and do some nav, but also it is a bit of a come-down to be back dual again after the thrill of that solo flying. What I did for my students was to send them on longer and longer solo nav ex to build up their confidence for the bigger qualifying flights.

Don't worry too much about the planning. Yes, it is a big job to plan the whole nav ex out, with solving the triangles of velocity etc, but after a time it gets a whole lot easier. In any case, already you'll have found it is all a bit hit and miss, as you'll never know what the actual wind is, so before long, you'll become comfortable using guestimates. But of course, you need to do it all properly, fully, for the training and the test, in order to know the proper way to do things.

In some ways, you've answered you own question; if you don't enjoy planning and flying cross country, keeping within sight of the local airfield will quickly become boring. But I'm not sure you've given it a fair chance yet. As for the stress aspect, although rather time consuming at first, when it all seems very new and complicated, it should soon become easier and less stressful. In any case, if, as you say, you have a stressful job, isn't immersing yourself completely into a demanding but totally different environment rather therapeutic, especially when the responsibilities and the rewards are so high?

Good luck, whichever way you go.

Piper.Classique
3rd Feb 2019, 17:22
It's supposed to be fun. If it isn't, you are paying a lot of money to not enjoy yourself. Stop for now, you can always change your mind and start again.
Do something else that appeals to you, don't just sit around, and if you don't miss flying then don't start again. If it keeps nagging at you then no problem, go back to flying.

POBJOY
3rd Feb 2019, 17:39
Stick with it sunbeam.
Getting a PPL nowadays is quite an achievement in itself,but does not really gear you up for 'going places'.
You may need to find a mentor (club or individual) that can make the x country thing enjoyable and then start building your confidence up.
Since 'clubs' started to become FTO's they started to loose that help others feature and in many cases nowadays there is little contact with other students/members.
You will only really start learning when you leave the initial student stage where you have to follow a set plan, and start to evolve a system that is in your comfort zone.
Either way it is a big step even to train to fly so give it some more time and try to enjoy it.

B2N2
3rd Feb 2019, 17:56
Training is not always supposed to be fun.
I can clearly recall my own days of being a solo student back in the early ‘90-ies.
Cross country navigation was stress full and frustrating to be told to replan after you’ve spend two days preflight planning your cross country.
Is your instructor trying to make this fun or is he the twirly mustache type that’s not happy until you’re not happy?
I would suggest you continue to fly local solo flights till you make up your mind or fly with a different instructor that may give you a different view of things.
Personally I’m thinking you’re having some trouble with the “unknown” part of things.

Jan Olieslagers
3rd Feb 2019, 18:39
Bite the sour apple and work until you have the license. If you don't enjoy navigation right now, nobody will force it on you if once you pass the tests. You can fly the circuit as much as you like, leave it for some advanced exercises without getting in unknown airspace, enjoy yourself in the air in any (legal) way you like. Probably the taste for navigation flying will come upon you one day, perhaps not.

You should also beware that practical cross-country flying is a lot less demanding than what you do during training and exams: once you have the license, you will never to touch that "computer" thing again, except perhaps at renewals. If you fly in more or less familiar areas, say 50 NM or so around your base, you will soon know the visual cues, and feel at home while merrily bimbling around. If you go further afield, GPS is inexpensive and generally very reliable - though of course you should always have a plan B.

It has been stated above that you can stop for now and come back later if the mood comes upon you, That is not incorrect, but that way you would be throwing away a good deal of effort and money.

Maoraigh1
3rd Feb 2019, 19:53
I didn't enjoy getting my PPL. I was starting to enjoy flying when money became too tight. 21 years later I didn't enjoy the training to get my licence back in 1987. I enjoy flying, and have flown over 2,000 hours solo since then. I bought a Jodel share for £1600 29 years ago.
After getting your PPL you can start to find if flying is really for you.
I didn't enjoy learning to drive, ski, or sail either. I gave up skiing after 12 years, and boats after 20, mainly cruising.
I'd give up driving if I could only drive A to A for one hour, with a few 3-point turns.

Armchairflyer
3rd Feb 2019, 20:49
I enjoyed the earlier lessons - when I could turn up, fly some handling exercises with the instructor for an hour and go home.Know a chap at my airfield who has his PPL for several years now and regularly does just this (on his own), rarely going beyond visual distance from the airfield. As already observed in previous posts, when you have your PPL, a) you can decide whether you just want to be up in the air without actually going anywhere (with minimum preparation hassle except for the technical preflight checks), b) navigation will become much less of a stressful burden and even when going someplace, "looking out the window and really appreciating what you're doing" will soon become the usual state of affairs.

BEagle
3rd Feb 2019, 21:50
Just remember that navigation cannot be difficult - otherwise navigators couldn't do it!

It's only "Maintaining straight and level balanced flight along a pre-planned route", when all's said and done...

Nurse2Pilot
3rd Feb 2019, 22:13
I think you first need to sort out exactly why you dislike navigation or why you've stopped enjoying flying and hopefully that will show you what you need to do to get back to the positive.

Is it self-doubt? Can I do it? Is this the correct way of doing it?
Is it a new instructor?
Is your job's stress creeping into your hobby? Perhaps it's time to take a few no-pressure flights doing just what you love about flying and slow it down a bit on the lessons?

Personally, I hate not knowing what to do but at the same time, I love the challenge of learning new things. I'm not on nav yet but I think I would love the problem-solving aspect of it not for the problem part but for getting the correct answer and showing the "problem" who is boss!

Good luck!

ChickenHouse
4th Feb 2019, 08:39
It needs passion to become an airmen. If you feel lack of it, quit.
Already too many out there just barely managing the controls.
If it comes back, start again.

Jhieminga
4th Feb 2019, 09:40
Just a thought, but have you figured out which aspect of the Nav exercises are causing your anxiety? You mention having encountered this before during pre-solo training, but you 'stuck with it'. Did the anxiety lessen as you passed the first solo hurdle? A bit of anxiety may be 'normal' when training for something like a PPL, but if its the flying itself that's causing it, there may be something else behind it.

I can understand you wanting to avoid another stressful occupation next to your job, but even though it does cause some sort of stress, being completely away from the job and focusing on something entirely different may be good for you in the long run. Something else you could try is finding someone with a PPL and going along for an expensive lunch at some other airfield. It might give you another view of what's possible as in contrast to the navigation training, bimbling along on a nice day, visiting another airfield and enjoying a decent lunch may provide a different perspective on the issue as its a completely different experience than sweating over courses and timings with an instructor breating down your neck.

I hope you manage to make a decision about this that suits you.

TelsBoy
4th Feb 2019, 11:01
Don't worry about your doubts. Nav is probably the most challenging part of learning to fly. My first couple of Navexes didn't go fantastically well and I remember feeling disheartened (especially when I misidentified my 2nd turning point and ended up 5 miles away from where I was supposed to be. Oops). But that's normal. I quickly got the hang of it and started really enjoying it!

Practice by planning out routes at home. If you have a flight simulator maybe try planning and flying a route. I did that and it helped me on the regular occasions when the Wx was rubbish and I couldn't fly.

Hang in there, it'll eventually become 2nd nature! Good luck.

Chris Martyr
4th Feb 2019, 11:31
Dan09.
One thing that you haven't mentioned is your Instructor[s] . What sort of relationship do you have with him/her/them . Also , how do you find the school in which you are learning ? and would you be happy telling them your feelings ? and if you did , what sort of reaction would you anticipate ?
I am sure that many here , like myself , have flown with a whole raft of different Instructors during training , check flights, BFR renewals,,etc,,etc,,and believe you me , no two are the same . They can have quali's coming out of their ears and be the steely-eyed ace of the base . But if they cannot radiate their knowledge and enthusiasm to the person next to them , then they should be off the field . Unfortunately , they are all out there .
Whereabouts are you learning ? By that I mean which part of the UK. If you're on a busy field surrounded by lots of busy airspace , then maybe that is a contributory factor which you didn't realise was creating a negative impact on your enjoyment . And it is supposed to be enjoyment - not some mental torture that you endure just to show you can do it .

Finally : Have you ever heard of an organisation called the LAA ? If not , give 'em a 'google' , you may find there's a whole world of GA flying out there that you never knew existed.........:ok:

ChampChump
4th Feb 2019, 12:05
Sort of echoing what Chris Martyr has said, I am wondering if you have got to know any others where you fly. People who might have a spare seat can be very useful, just by showing how much fun it can all be, whether bimbling thirty miles for a bacon butty or showing you some parts of the countryside you've not had time to enjoy during lessons. Everyone has a different take on what makes it enjoyable and if you could share some flying with one or two people in different aeroplanes, without any pressure to perform, you might get more of an insight into what appeals to you. That might help your decision. The LAA world is an excellent place, but even I admit there are alternatives. It may depend a little on where you are training but moreso, I suggest, on whom you've met. If you've not found anything to keep you chatting after your lessons, I suggest you google your nearest LAA Strut.

Having gone solo, you've achieved a good deal already.

Victorian
4th Feb 2019, 12:47
Dan

You mention navigation specifically. What you may not see from your present situation is that tablet based navigation apps have totally transformed cross country flying here, and in most other countries, in the last few years. Unfortunately there's still a culture that favours dead reckoning in flight training, a system of navigation that to be honest never really worked for PPL's. It seems to me that in those far off days that every flight involved some momentary 'uncertain of position' event, with quite a few people actually getting lost.

Today, with Foreflight, Sky Demon, et al., these events simply don't occur. You are never 'uncertain of position', although you may still have trouble spotting the airfield even when you know it's right under the nose. Just be sure to have a spare device (phone, etc) accessible.

I suggest you get a qualified PPL to show you how we navigate in the real world!

Victorian

sharpend
4th Feb 2019, 20:06
Dan, I have been instructing since 1970 so I know a little about it. Flying is the opposite of sex... the less you do, the less you want to do. A few years ago, my wife started to learn to fly. For obvious reasons I did not teach her, but I did advise her from time to time. She had her ups & downs, mainly due to poor instructors, changes of clubs and airfields. She nearly gave up. Eventually she found exactly the right instructor for her and she gained her licence. Getting the right instructor for you is essential. He/she needs not only to be able to teach, but to make you feel at ease, to make you enthusiastic, to make you look forward to the next lesson. They should praise you when you deserve it. You can do it. In 1970. a senior Training command RAF officer said there are no bad students, there are only bad instructors. Not totally true, but there is truth in it. From what I have seen over the years, there are plenty of bad instructors and even some good ones who are not right for you.

paulo
5th Feb 2019, 17:51
Know a chap at my airfield who has his PPL for several years now and regularly does just this (on his own), rarely going beyond visual distance from the airfield. As already observed in previous posts, when you have your PPL, a) you can decide whether you just want to be up in the air without actually going anywhere (with minimum preparation hassle except for the technical preflight checks), b) navigation will become much less of a stressful burden and even when going someplace, "looking out the window and really appreciating what you're doing" will soon become the usual state of affairs.

Extending that thought...

...if you like handling, you might just be a sucker for Aeros. A quick lesson where you fly some will tell you straight away if you’ve got that bug in you.

I did.

Whilst I was pleased to manage/scrape through the nav stuff, I knew drilling holes wasn’t my thing (respect, of course, to those who can do complex nav off pat).

So I pushed on with getting the license ‘finished’, knowing where my goal was. After that, Aeros training, stuck to good weather, local Aeros flights, no nav stress at all, and a big grin for the very modest 40 minutes cost.

If it sounds interesting to you, try it once. It could be a turning point.

(not withstanding lots of other equally good thoughts on the thread)

AN2 Driver
6th Feb 2019, 10:49
Hi all
I'm asking myself whether I really need a stressful hobby when I've already got a stressful enough job. Coupled with this is the fact that this part of the course is time consuming, particularly when you factor in the pre-flight planning.

Maybe the first time I say this to anyone but your post would suggest it may really be a good idea to cut your losses and stop doing something you obviously do not find to be what you expected or which contributes to further stress.

I think the above statement quoted is the one which would make me take a very honest stock of where you are in your life and question whether you will want to continue pursuing a hobby which is quite time consuming at the best of times. Generally, I see a lot of people quit flying even after they have their licenses who fit your profile, primarily for the lack of time and due to the fact that when they can take off time from their job they need to really unwind and relax, not to do something else which may be enjoyable but stressful at the same time.

The question is if you want to finish your license first, as licenses are something you have for life, as opposed to ratings. If you finish the license, you will be able to count your flight hours and license if you ever come back to it after retirement or in a less stressful phase of your life, all it will take then is to revalidate your rating. If you stop altogether before reaching your license, you will most likely find you have to redo everything you have done before if you ever want to come back, theoretical exams for sure.

But if you really see it as you do, another stress added to an already stressful life, I would really consider to take a maybe unpopluar decision and call it a day.

Camargue
6th Feb 2019, 10:55
I never liked nav. It didnt help that I learnt on an air quadron where we couldnt choose the instrutor (the boss was horrible to fly with and if you werent doing it right would just pile on the pressure even more, which in my case just made me fly even worse!)
28 years after i got my ppl, is still dont do much nav. pretty much all aerobatics or bimbling about for an hour or so in the local area with sat nav and some fairly simple pre flight planning. but importantly I can do it if i need to.
Joy of aeros, turn up, check notams for a specific area, have an idea which airfield you'll go if your one is shut by an accident and get flying. once you're up, go to said area, pick a field in case the donk stops and have fun. You dont even need to worry too much about weather as basically if its going to worry the A to B'ers, its already no good for aero's

Dan09
10th Feb 2019, 09:49
Thanks everyone for your input. I wasn't expecting so many replies - very much appreciated. Plenty to think about, and also reassuring to know that there other people out who struggled with navigation during training!

Just picking out a few questions/suggestions:

Instructors: I don't really have a problem with any of them, though some make it more enjoyable than others (I'm training for a PPL for a hobby, with no intention of going down the commercial route - if I wanted to be berated I would stay in work longer!). They all obviously have their own styles, but this I think is more the problem - I've had two different instructors for the navs so far, and I think five or six throughout my training. I'm told to push to have the same 1/2 instructors, but even when I demand it things seem to get changed at the last minute without me knowing, and it almost becomes pot luck who I'll have on the day - not sure if all flying schools operate this way?
Other students: I know the names and faces of a few other students, but I don't really feel like I've got any "peers", and perhaps this is an issue. Maybe all I'm experiencing are the stressful parts of learning and none of the more fun parts. I once had the opportunity to back-seat on another student's lesson (PFLs) and found it really helpful, not just from a learning perspective but also to gauge where I was at at that time in my training. Maybe I'll look for more opportunities to do this. I also like the suggestion re. the LAA - I'll look into this.
Aeros: I'd never really thought about this, but it makes sense. My flying school does offer aeros lessons, so I've got myself signed up in a few weeks time to give it a go.

At this stage I'm thinking I'll get the theory exams finished (got a couple more to do) while the weather is temperamental, and maybe go out for an off-syllabus jolly or two before I crack on with the lessons.

Thanks again.

cats_five
10th Feb 2019, 18:09
How do you feel about navigation in a car? In mountains, if you go walking there? At sea, if you sail offshore? I found the more different types of navigation I did the more I enjoyed it and the better I got at it.

Also, does the mere prospect of being out of the circuit worry you even if you know exactly where you are?

ChampChump
10th Feb 2019, 23:14
It's good to know you have some ideas in mind, now. I know that for me, had I not connected with the fun side (LAA/vintage in my case), - the people - I'd have given up within a year or two.

Good luck.

Chris Martyr
11th Feb 2019, 19:42
(I'm training for a PPL for a hobby, with no intention of going down the commercial route -!).

That puts you ahead of the game Dan09 ! Flying is a brilliant hobby/pastime , your above statement is your get-out clause and it puts you out of the rat-race , so learn to fly at your leisure !...:cool:.

I have spent most of my working life working professionally in the airline industry [ but not as a pilot ] and I can tell you that many guys who fly professionally actually do become disconnected with the grass-roots side of flying and it makes them all the poorer for it .
A lot of the syllabus [re: nav.] probably is a bit dated these days , but it is all good gen . The one consolation though is that there are so many electronic tablet devices around these days that make nav. so much easier . But try and digest as much of the traditional nav. methods that you can because they are the ones that can get you out of trouble if you become stranded in the 'CAA desert'.
For my own part ; I found and still do find the traditional methods of navigation to be absolutely fascinating . The one part of my PPL exams that I hated though were the meteorological exams and I still have trouble getting my head around 'Met' now - nearly 30yrs on .
I normally start by getting a 'broad-brush' view on the BBC website and take it from there ...:O

So don't worry Dan , we're all still learning ,,,,,and when you find the guy who knows it all ? Don't worry ,,,,he's lying .:)

Flyingbadge
12th Feb 2019, 08:43
Dan, as others have said, the learning is all part of the fun, you're still flying.
Like you, I had many instructors, 11 in total! and in hindsight I could've shaved at least 20 hours off my total just from the overlap every time I had a new instructor. It took me two years to gain my PPL, but I didn't care, I took the view that it's my hobby and will still be my hobby when I eventually got my licence. I don't regret the time and all the hours it took to achieve that as it was all fun....even when it wasn't! (if that makes sense).
I too struggled with navigation, i'd be enjoying myself and the view outside so much that i'd forget to actually check the DI, or basic errors like inadvertently turning whilst looking down at the map, only to look up and not recognise where I was. Its something I laugh about now, but was frustrating at the time...and I doubted myself because of it too. But slowly and carefully, I analysed what I was doing wrong each time and worked on it.

There is no need to put any other pressure on yourself other than your desire to eventually gain your PPL.. it doesn't matter how long it takes or how many hours go in your logbook. it's all flying!!!!!
I hope you stick with it, it's one of the best things I've ever done in my life....if wife and kids is 1st and 2nd place, then flying definitely competes for 3rd !
Good luck.

sharpend
12th Feb 2019, 09:24
Dan, just adding to what I wrote earlier. Navigation is a means to an end; you need it to get somewhere. Yesterday my wife & I flew to Halfpenny Green for lunch and met some lovely like-minded pilots. Navigation (in the real world) is rather easy. Apart from following the M5 from Gloucester to Halfpenny Green, we had a map with a line on it (took 5 seconds to do), a PLOG produced by SkyDemon and 3 separate Sat Nav (yes really). We were not going to get lost. OK, so as an ex RAF pilot/nav instructor I can navigate by map & stopwatch. In fact I used to in my Hawker Hunter at 420 knots. But here is the rub; it is so easy these days with sat nav. Nice to just look out the window and admire the scenery and watch out for any conflictions. OK, sat nav can go wrong, so you need a back-up plan. Mine is to carry more than one and anyway, they rarely fail. Finally, you personally navigate all the time. You go to the shops, you go to the bathroom, to work, etc. Any problems? I thought not. Same with flying. Just get thro the licence then all will be well.

sharpend
12th Feb 2019, 09:27
So don't worry Dan , we're all still learning ,,,,,and when you find the guy who knows it all ? Don't worry ,,,,he's lying .:)

Very true. I know lots, forgot lots, but I don't know it all. And I learn something new each day. That is half the fun of it all.

Chris Martyr
12th Feb 2019, 19:48
Well ,,I hope that Dan feels as enlightened as I do after having read the posts on here .
I reckon the contributors should all pat themselves on the back for all the positive and encouraging inputs . It just shows the good side of forums and pilot forums can be a bit of a snake-pit , even at the best of times .

I only joined this forum in response to a somewhat negative & controversial campaign that was going on in 2016 , so for me , being able to encourage someone to take up wings and fly is a big, big plus .

So,,,@ Dan09,,hopefully we'll see you back here in a year or two as a seasoned and cynical old sage ?

Our work will be done ...;)

scifi
15th Feb 2019, 00:43
I blame most of the Navigation Instruction on the attitude that you must be able to fly a heading for a certain time and drop your bombs accurately on the Ruhr Valley, in zero visibility. Then turn around and be back at base for evening tea and scones. The world has moved on in leaps and bounds but the PPL syllabus has remained stuck in a time-warp.
We have three well defined landmarks near our airfield, and the coast is not too far away, so it is relatively easy to know exactly where we are, even without looking at the chart. Once you have your PPL, one of your best purchases will be a GPS, most pilots wouldn't (or couldn't) fly without one. Also unless you are studying for your CPL, there is no need to follow the magenta line.

lilpilot
19th Feb 2019, 05:58
Instructors: ... They all obviously have their own styles, but this I think is more the problem - I've had two different instructors for the navs so far, and I think five or six throughout my training. I'm told to push to have the same 1/2 instructors, but even when I demand it things seem to get changed at the last minute without me knowing, and it almost becomes pot luck who I'll have on the day - not sure if all flying schools operate this way?
Other students: I know the names and faces of a few other students, but I don't really feel like I've got any "peers", and perhaps this is an issue. Maybe all I'm experiencing are the stressful parts of learning and none of the more fun parts.

At this stage I'm thinking I'll get the theory exams finished (got a couple more to do) while the weather is temperamental, and maybe go out for an off-syllabus jolly or two before I crack on with the lessons.

Thanks again.

Instructors: having 5-6 instructors for primary training is unacceptable from a reputable school, 2 for nav already? No wonder, you are becoming discouraged and anxious about this.
Peers: Sometimes it's hard to find someone who has the same goals, has the same rythm and focus, it depends on the school and some luck
Exams: you should get this done, perhaps there's some book work to be done before you continue your nav exercise

Maybe, just maybe you could look for a "flying club" instead of a "flying school" now or for the future. You soloed, so in practical terms you have become a pilot, don't give up. It's okay to stay where you are, if you can find an instructor who is consistent, don't let undedicated instructors build time on your dime. It's also okay to search for an instructor who will provide better mentorship and consistent instruction elsewhere.

macdo
19th Feb 2019, 16:03
I was an Instructor many years ago. The statement you made in your original post caught my eye.
" flying again fills me with anxiety"
There can be many reasons why you have used this phrase, including amount of instructors you have had.
If you continue as you are now and pass your PPL, I'd take a bet that you discontinue flying within 2 years. This is common for a variety of reasons.
Address the anxiety and its root before sinking even more money into the enterprise.
Best of luck.

beamer
19th Feb 2019, 18:13
Does no-one just fly with a map and a stopwatch any more ?

Piper.Classique
20th Feb 2019, 08:08
Yes, sure they do, Beamer. But I don't think that really answers the original question, do you?

Phororhacos
20th Feb 2019, 08:58
"Does no-one just fly with a map and a stopwatch any more ?"
Yes. And sometimes into controlled airspace without clearance.

Pilot DAR
20th Feb 2019, 11:16
Does no-one just fly with a map and a stopwatch any more ?

I haven't used them in years. I usually leave the GPS at home as well, I use the view out the window for navigation!

More on the topic, fly because you enjoy it. That's not to say that you should not fly if you're not enjoying it, but hopefully the lack of enjoyment is either very brief, or replaced by pay! If you're not enjoying being with your instructor, discuss it first, then change instructors if it's not improving. Don't rush toward the goal of a PPL, but rather enjoy your way along as you learn.

beamer
20th Feb 2019, 12:23
Apologies for a little thread creep earlier but it does concern me a little just how much time some, repeat, some GA pilots spend with the heads in the cockpit rather than looking outside.

Anyway, back to the topic in question. It seems Dan may have chosen the wrong place to learn to fly. There are some great instructors out there and equally there are some who are, lets just say, very average. My first QFI was an absolute a**e but when he was tourex, my second was a revelation and I thrived. My flying club is blessed with a first class set of instructors and I would recommend it to anyone, lets just say its near Silverstone !

Uplinker
20th Feb 2019, 12:51
Hi Dan,

I have been a commercial pilot for 18 years now, but I remember my PPL days.

You definitely need one instructor whom you know well, not pot-luck on the day. You need a sympathetic teacher and to get used to each other and build a relationship. Speak with the flying club boss. You are a customer and you are entitled to decide who you pay your money to. Just tell them you are underconfident and need a really good, patient, instructor.

Nav work can be intimidating - especially if your instructor is passively or actively aggressive about mental maths. Some can be like this, either deliberately or accidentally and destroy your confidence. I can work out things like the formula for the area of a hexagon in my head from first principles, but if an authority figure is barking mental maths questions at me I might not be able to add two and two together !

Master the CRP-5. I found the visual way of working out the drift etc to be very useful. Also use the Trevor Thom books.

Fly over areas you know well if possible. Spotting ground features and towns etc and knowing where you are is much easier this way. Having said that, I was on an early NAVEX once and getting slightly flustered trying to find Kidlington aerodrome, (Oxford). I thought I should be there but couldn’t see it. My instructor casually asked if I could see an aerodrome anywhere. It was right in front of me, under my nose !!. My navigation had been spot-on, but there was so much going on I was swamped. On my qualifying cross country I confidentally told ATC I was crossing the M4, only to call back 5 mins later to report I was crossing it now - I had been mistaken earlier!

I would try to complete your PPL if you can find a sympathetic instructor - you will have wasted a lot of money if you give up now.

If navigation is really not for you, how about glider flying? Obviously you still have to navigate to an extent, and avoid certain airspace, but you are much freer to simply enjoy flying for flyings sake. Much cheaper too.

Good luck !