PDA

View Full Version : Living cost's in the US

RLA
1st Aug 2002, 18:16
Hello !!
I am starting at NAIA in South Carolina in October and was hoping that someone can tell me how much it does cost to live in the US excluding accommodation a month

Over and out:confused:

slim_slag
1st Aug 2002, 20:17
I am starting at NAIA in South Carolina in October and was hoping that someone can tell me how much it does cost to live in the US excluding accommodation a month

How long is a piece of string?

Eat at McDs three times a day and you will spend $10. Buy food at the supermarket and live on bread and cheese and you will spend a little less. Cost of living the the US is less than the UK, but not by as much as most people believe, but South Carolina is can be considered cheap by American standards.

Beer in bars tends to be more expensive than the UK, but you can do a lot of damage for little money during happy hours. Remember to tip 15%.

Don't forget you need transport, public transport in the US is a joke, renting a car could easily be the most expensive part of your trip.

Call NAIA and ask.

Gin Slinger
1st Aug 2002, 21:58
Remembering just how expensive everything was taking my [very dappy] ex to Legoland, I'm pretty sure the cost of living in South Carolina will seem more than reasonable.

You might be in trouble when it comes to getting the beers in though, coz it's a case of B*dw**s*rs all round! Yuck!

AMEX
1st Aug 2002, 22:41
Yeah Gingslinger I am with you. Can't believe I used to be able to get pi88ed on Mill8r and Bud.
Tried it again years later and it felt like drinking water only it didn't taste as good.
(In total fairness though I had a brilliant time).

In those days though, I managed to buy a 50 hours block on a C310 for $90 dry, about $130 wet. A fantastic bargain which took me from the middle of Florida via the Keys to Vegas and back. To make the trip even cheaper, like snails do ;) I carried my temporary residence all along the journey. I mean the, then girlfriend and I spent 2 and half weeks sleeping in a 310. (:DWasn't quite the mile high but hey, it had to be done !!!)
To get the food and do some visiting whilst on the ground, we made best use of (free) courtesy cars usually available. More than once when the FBO cars weren't available, we got one lent by locals who took great pride in making our visit, a most memorable one, thanks to their desinterested generosity.
Great trip, great memories...

Call me cheap but early 90s there was also a bargain at McDs where you could pick up a Big Mac for 99c.

In 98 I spent a week in Atlanta and remember buy petrol for the car 88c a gallon (Rental car so I probably chose the cheapest grade there was).

Things have changed though :(:(

MAJIC9
2nd Aug 2002, 00:42
SC is definitely one of the cheaper places in the US..in general..

When I lived there, my budget was VERY limited.. and I survived 4 years :)

Julian
2nd Aug 2002, 06:58
The beer in the US wasnt the best I have had, the bar we drank in used to have a happy hour (for about 3 hours!) where Miller, etc was $1 a pint, we drank Guiness instead at $4.50 a pint.

Maybe it was a marketing ploy :)

Flying Clog
2nd Aug 2002, 14:15
When I was in NAIA from 97 to 98 they would give every student something like 40 bucks a week to live off (sort of weird really) which was, of course, part of the training cost. It was just to make sure no one ran out of money buying beer and couldn't eat, which has happened...trust me! 40 bucks a week is enough to survive, but take a VISA card along for the weekends!

Rgds, and have fun. I did!

slim_slag
2nd Aug 2002, 18:19
The human body is a machine to turn real-ale into Budweiser. Times have changed, and you can now get decent beer in the US. Ask for microbrews, lots of good stuff around of >5% alcohol which will kick your ass! My local does Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for $2 a pint during happy hour, plenty of time to get pretty blitzed for less than £10. Shop around for happy hours, some places do free food, and occasionally it is great quality. Happy hour not quite as common in SC as other parts of the US.

Unfortunately, if you are under 21 you can forget all the above.

Petrol was around 88c per gallon only a few months ago, now costs around $1.30 (thats in Az). McD latest deal is something like two quarter pounders for $2, not worth it even at that price. C310 now goes for $160 block (wet) round here.

The Greaser
2nd Aug 2002, 19:25
I was at NAIA in '99. South Carolina is cheaper than most other parts of the US but still not much cheaper than here.
All depends how you want to live. You could probably scrape by on 100 bucks a week if you dont go out just as you could just about live off 70 quid a week here.
NAIA no longer give the allowance to students, something they neglected to tell us even though it appeared in all the literature they gave us.

By the way, Conway is one of the most awful places on Earth. We lived in Applebys most nights - drink Shiner Bock.

FWA NATCA
2nd Aug 2002, 19:49
RLA,

Go to this web site http://www.realtors.com, you will find information about the area that you are interested in, cost of living, house or rental prices, entertainment, restraunts, etc.

Mike