PDA

View Full Version : Heading bug usefulness

KayPam
31st Jan 2019, 17:01
Hello,
I would have a question regarding the heading bug, in IFR manual flying.
First, airplanes in VFR training often do not have any heading bug and they fly pretty well. In autopilot flying, it's obvious the heading bug is crucial for the heading mode, or for switching seamlessly from nav to heading mode.

Personally, I think it's useful in the very basic phase of training. Because in this phase, the exercises are not plotted on any charts, or anywhere else than in the instructor's mind. So it's pretty useful to have a reminder of the exercise (it could be, ending a timed standard rate turn at this or this heading).

But for anything further than this, I'm thinking the pilot's SA (even student) is enough for him to know where to go.
For instance, in our school they want us to set the heading bug at each and every turn we make. Even a small correction to rejoin an axis. Or in a VFR circuit.
In a VFR circuit, I would deem sufficient to only set the QFU on the CRS and HDG bug, and read the perpendicular or opposite heading and fly to this heading, and once i'm there I can check that my relative angle to the QFU is okay (perpendicular or opposite).
In a holding pattern, it is quite the same.
During an approach, all my headings are noted on the chart.

In short, in any case I will have to choose a heading by thinking where to go.
I can't see why I could not just remember this heading instead of setting it on the bug.
I would find it much more reasonable and time-efficient to perform the turn, and then synchronise the heading bug with a push on the button.

What are your opinions on this matter ? I asked the question to my instructors but I'm still not really convinced why I should use it.
To this date, the only thing I'm convinced of this that having the heading bug while maintaining a heading or a radioelectric axis is useful, because it helps visualise where the particular heading required is (including wind). And it gives a useful reference for making corrections, for example in an ILS approach.

Thanks.

eckhard
31st Jan 2019, 18:07
I think your analysis is pretty good, especially keeping it on the QFU during the circuit.

One other use of the bug is to set it to the runway heading before you taxi out. It might just save you from lining up on the wrong runway. Don’t ask me how I know........

3wheels
31st Jan 2019, 18:23
KISS....
Having two different SOP’s relating to the heading bug will drop you in it one day.
When the chips are down, night, bad weather, maybe some instrument failure, a test perhaps, you will make the mistake of following the heading bug when you shouldn’t be, or vice versa.
It is microseconds to turn the knob each time you need a new heading and will become instinctive....like resetting an altimeter immediately you hear a new QNH rather than writing it down or answering the call and then then resetting it later (or forgetting).
It may seem a pain now, but once instinctive it will become second nature and thus KISS.
It may also save you that embarrassment one day...one procedure not two!

LastStandards
31st Jan 2019, 19:03
KISS....
Having two different SOP’s relating to the heading bug will drop you in it one day.

This. Heading bugs are often underrated - yes, in rapid dynamic situations the aircraft should be flown first. But in more relaxed areas eg holding is it really that tricky to move the heading bug 5s before you turn? As the OP said, it helps to visualise the drift angle as a final double check. It would be rare in an aircraft with a heading bug for the heading not to be directed to the bug for me or my students, irrespective of hand flying or autopilot. It also greatly simplifies the maintenance element of the scan - visual or instrument - since there is no need to check/think about the number, merely note bug position.

Banana Joe
31st Jan 2019, 19:35
I reckon the heading bug is one very important bit of equipment. And it's part of the 5/7 T's for obvious reasons. It is a very useful reference for flight in real IMC.

Now on the type I fly it is also useful to keep the trackline under it to make small corrections on the localizer.

vetflyer
31st Jan 2019, 20:30
Use the HDG bug

Please be convinced Believe your instructors

Rgds