PDA

View Full Version : Base closers

flybeboy
30th Jan 2019, 16:31
Looks like chivenor will get a future after all. With the local lib dems saying they have been told chiv is not closing . And the defence minister saying chivenor is vital to uk and marines. They were going to move them all to the superbase in plymouth but i understand their is not much room of the lot.. So chiv will stay and pos get bigger ie 29c or 40c coming to chiv. Their is talk of the runway being used more, maybe for helis from CHF.. They will need a new refueling area to. So lets weight till march when the announcment will be made accrording the local lib dems.

Asturias56
30th Jan 2019, 16:42
"the defence minister saying chivenor is vital to uk and marines"

he says an awful lot - does he have the cash to keep it open or is it another day, another quote by your wanna-be PM

DrinkGirls
30th Jan 2019, 18:05
Wow, I don’t normally “grammar check”, but no wonder FlyBe went bust

MPN11
30th Jan 2019, 18:07
Wow, I don’t normally “grammar check”, but no wonder FlyBe went bust
I have learned to cope with iPhone typing without commenting on the poster.

langleybaston
30th Jan 2019, 18:22
I have not. It is a discourtesy not to spell check before pressing the Reply button.

To err is human but we should all at least try.

E & O E.

chevvron
30th Jan 2019, 18:27
It all went wrong from the word 'go' with 'Base Closers' instead of 'Base Closures'!

Al R
30th Jan 2019, 18:41
Flybeboy,

Good news for a local economy already under the cosh. Relief, possibly for the MP, Peter Heaton-Jones, who actually voted for Theresa May’s original WA, despite his constituency voti.. well, you get the picture. Parliament Debate here.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/6becf0c0-b97b-44dd-9cbe-7cc365fa3a08?in=11:00:01&out=11:28:40

flybeboy
31st Jan 2019, 08:56
In press today superbase plymouth shelved will cost over£100m. So looks like the bases now will get bigger ie chivenor, bickleigh. Understand no room at devonport

pr00ne
31st Jan 2019, 10:58
flybeboy,

Are you saying Plymouth RM superbase has been shelved, or that it will cost £100m? Is this actual fact or just wishful thinking based on rumour?

NutLoose
31st Jan 2019, 11:03
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/225743

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/3848177-raf-scampton-petition

MPN11
31st Jan 2019, 18:01
Sadly, Scampton is just another bit of crumbling RAF infrastructure. It has, of course, got history ... as have many other places like Bentley Priory.

I recall reading the then CAS’ comments on getting rid of historic Upavon. Something along the lines of “sad but in the final analysis retention is unjustifiable.”

WE Branch Fanatic
31st Jan 2019, 19:00
pr00ne

I am also a resident of North Devon. Local news has reported a possible reprieve on several occasions. There will still be bases closures but not all those planned. With respect to the superbase idea there is a shortage of space at Devonport, particularly as 1AGRM are already there, and parts of the base have returned to the city. They also suggested using HMS Raleigh, but there is not much spare room there. The Logistics School is moving, but that will only free up a couple of blocks, and the Submarine School is meant to be relocating to Faslane, but there is a shortage of room at Faslane. Doh!

The Chivenor site enjoys close proximity to the Braunton Burrows training area.

Roadster280
31st Jan 2019, 21:12
Sadly, Scampton is just another bit of crumbling RAF infrastructure. It has, of course, got history ... as have many other places like Bentley Priory.

I recall reading the then CAS’ comments on getting rid of historic Upavon. Something along the lines of “sad but in the final analysis retention is unjustifiable.”

Upavon was not got rid of by MOD. It remains within the estate, and indeed is the focus of much investment.

Unlike when I was posted there in the early 90s, when it was (just about) an RAF Station. It was crumbling apart, like all the older infrastructure. Our hangar was an absolute **** tip of a building, sadly. At least it still stands today, which is just about a miracle.

flybeboy
1st Feb 2019, 10:33
Re scampton its being debated in parliment westminster hall on tuesday 5th feb at 4pm. So we might get more info. Red arrows staying or going to .

bobward
1st Feb 2019, 16:14
….Chivenor??

Could be the last?
1st Feb 2019, 17:23
No, I think the debate re Scampton is more to do with ‘Are the Reds staying or going!’ And whether or not the summer sojourn to the US is their swan-song!

MPN11
1st Feb 2019, 18:30
Scampton aside, the Reds have been an LTC line item as long as I can remember since I first saw the LTC ... late 80’s?

I have no idea what the annual cost is, in these fiscally strapped times, but the unquantifiable benefits always seem to win through the scrutiny process. I suspect the actual cost is small change compared with the other big issues.