PDA

View Full Version : Farcebook - any truth in the rumours about privacy

cargosales
29th Jan 2019, 16:53
Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance as a bit of a techno-numpty but is there any truth in the posts that are flying round about today / tomorrow (29 / 30 Jan 2019) being the date after which FB can use your data, pics, deleted posts etc, WITHOUT your permission or knowledge?

E.G. this just popped up on a friends timeline, and the apparant need to do something about it, as below

..... " I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future. With this statement, I give notice to Facebook it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me based on this profile and/or its contents. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute). " .....

Is there any truth in this please?

Or indeed in this:

" I have a whole new news feed. I’m seeing posts from people I haven’t seen in years.
Here’s how to bypass the system FB now has in place that limits posts on your news feed.
Their new algorithm chooses the same few people - about 25 - who will read your posts. Therefore,
Hold your finger down anywhere in this post and "copy" will pop up. Click "copy". Then go your page, start a new post and put your finger anywhere in the blank field. "Paste" will pop up and click paste.
This will bypass the system. "

Apologies if this is Janet and John stuff for those who understand IT and social media better than I, and I hope you don't mind me asking such a basic question on here.

Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions

CS

Blues&twos
29th Jan 2019, 18:00
Both have been doing the rounds for a while on FB now. I have ignored them.
I would think that if anyone was really bothered about what was going to happen to their photos on FB, the obvious solution would be to not post their photos on FB... :)

EGTE
29th Jan 2019, 20:16
Just Google UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute..... and you find it is complete nonsense!

YorkshireTyke
30th Jan 2019, 20:53
Who needs Farcebook anyway ?

El Bunto
31st Jan 2019, 05:57
No, there's no truth in it. You can't revoke permission for Facebook to use your data and content because... you have to give permission for them to do so to operate the service. Terms & conditions 3.3:

you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free and worldwide licence to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate and create derivative works of your content

Basically, they couldn't operate without such permission. For example, in the case when you upload a photo they resize and recompress it and forward it to various datacentres where it can be cached for quick loading. That covers hosting, copying, publicly performing, and creating derivative works for that single use-case alone.

Protesting against that is a bit like 'denying' an airline the 'right' to touch your suitcase yet demanding that they adhere to their contract of carriage.

The route to ensuring privacy and confidentiality on ANY web service is to independently and individually encrypt your data. But that makes it difficult to share, and the service can still see metadata about your network of contacts.

To quote WOPR: "The only winning move is not to play"

andytug
4th Feb 2019, 18:04
Facebook by its very nature is the opposite of private. Use it accordingly......

G0ULI
19th Feb 2019, 01:27
Everything you have ever uploaded to Facebook and every interaction you have with Facebook is permanently recorded and effectively becomes Facebook's property. That is enshrined in the user agreement you are forced to agree to if you want to use Facebook. There is no opt out. They provide a nominally free service but you and your data are the product they generate a profit from.

If you don't like or agree with the terms and conditions, don't use Facebook.

The same terms and conditions apply across pretty much any internet service, so despite local regulations and controls anything you do or post on the internet will be archived somewhere and effectively be available to someone forever.

You have three choices, never use the internet, use the best encryption and security you can afford, or rely on the anonymity of the crowd. Even option one doesn't really help because other people may post photos and data concerning you.

reynoldsno1
4th Mar 2019, 00:11
Facebook has one product - you.