PDA

View Full Version : RAF Staff Car - Lanchester

DeepestSouth
27th Jan 2019, 16:58
A friend here on the Isle of Man is restoring a Lanchester car - no, not an armoured one! It is currently in what looks very like RAF Blue and not a recent respray either. I have a vague recollection of reading something years ago about a Lanchester, or several of them, in RAF service - possibly 'acquired' and not on brought on charge.

He would very much like to know if the RAF ever did have Lanchesters, officially or otherwise. A photo or two would be even better.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

DS

Fareastdriver
27th Jan 2019, 17:18
When WW II broke out lots of old dowagers and squires donated their surplus limos to the armed forces. Most of them ended up rotting away in a field in the south of England. Maybe this one is one of the survivors.

spekesoftly
27th Jan 2019, 18:09
When WW II broke out lots of old dowagers and squires donated their surplus limos to the armed forces.

As did Lady Maltby in 'Dad's Army' ;)

dook
27th Jan 2019, 19:40
You might care to try these people.

Daimler & Lanchester Owners' Club (http://www.dloc.org.uk)

papajuliet
27th Jan 2019, 22:27
An uncle of mine had a Lanchester. It was a somewhat lighter shade than the standard RAF blue but could be mistaken for it. The car was black above the bottom line of the windows with black mudguards. I've never seen any reference to Lanchesters being used as official RAF cars - these ( at least the larger saloons ) seem to have been Humber Snipes and Standard 10's, as 4 seaters, with Humber Pullmans as 6 seaters. It's possible, of course that someone acquired it and had it painted RAF blue but, bear in mind, that the blue finish was replaced from August 1941 by a khaki green with some overpainting with tarmac green. Even so cars issued to officers of air rank ( Air Commodores and above ) were not subject to the camouflage scheme.
My guess is that the blue paint is it's original private owner finish.

Quemerford
28th Jan 2019, 10:58
IIRC Austin 16 also used as staff cars.

India Four Two
29th Jan 2019, 17:51
The RAF definitely had this type of Lanchester :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/740x477/43lanny_014232_2_14f2552a028c8bc871446261f52e53856d1b5d02.jp g