PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire in London

ConfusedAviator
27th Jan 2019, 14:28
Hi all,

I'm London based (uni) and looking to start flying down here having previously learnt up in the midlands - EASA PPL. I'm aware it's been done to death over the years but just wondering if anyone has personal recommendations of where's good within the M25. Ideally somewhere associated with a flying school - or at least somewhere where I can get a couple of hours with an instructor - as I haven't flown a few months. Previous types were PA28/PA38 but happy to convert to those things with the wings on the roof too. I don't really feel comfortable with going private with syndicates etc at my stage of the game.

Thanks for your time!

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jan 2019, 18:26
I'd strongly recommend joining London Universities Air Squadron if they'll have you, and also that there's a very good London University Gliding Club. University gliding clubs are great for the social side, and also gliding is brilliant for developing your stick and rudder skills affordably.

If those don't work out - West London Aero Club at White Waltham, just outside Maidenhead is easily done by public transport from London, has a wonderful club atmosphere and a good range of flying machines. A little further out and a bus ride from High Wycombe Station is Booker Airfield - less good as a club, but a bit cheaper, and a reasonable range of aeroplanes including PA28s.

Not been there for a while, but IIRC Andrewsfield and Stapleford are also easily done from London with schools and rental fleets.

I agree, buying a share somewhere you may only be for three years, may not be the best choice.

G

chevvron
27th Jan 2019, 18:42
LTFC Home (http://www.ltfc.org.uk) at Fairoaks - just outside the M25 near Woking with a fleet of PA28s and a C172.

TheOddOne
27th Jan 2019, 21:49
...and don't forget Denham, nestling just inside the junction of the M25 and M40, easily reached by train from Marlyebone (and a lot nearer London than Booker or WW).The Pilot Centre's the place to Google (other search engines available)

TOO

asyncio
28th Jan 2019, 12:49
And for completeness, there's also Elstree, North Weald (just outside the M25), and the Tiger Club at Damyns Hall, in addition to all the ones mentioned above.

Which one you choose could also depend on lot on exactly where you are living, as it makes some a lot easier than others to get to.

Also worth considering, is whether you have any plans to do anything like tailwheel, aerobatics, or IR(R), as that could also affect your choices.

Ebbie 2003
28th Jan 2019, 19:48
Andrewsfield is a good one and a half to two hours drive from London (on a good day).

Stapleford, is good.

Not sure if there are any airplane to rent there but Thurrock is pretty good for London; you would need a car or will be spending a lot on Ubers from the railway station.

On the basis of travel time to get there Southend would be an option - out from Fenchurch Street with the student rail card.

ConfusedAviator
30th Jan 2019, 15:09
Thanks so much everyone! Will be checking some out in person over the weekend :ok:

paulo
30th Jan 2019, 17:06
If you don’t want to drive, Tiger Club at Damyns Hall is super convenient depending on where you are. They’re all tail draggers I think, but fun options... Tiger Moths, Super Cubs and hot CAP10! Prices much much better than most London area places.

35 minutes from Liverpool Street, and then 5 minutes in a cab. Or cycle.

chevvron
30th Jan 2019, 18:21
If you don’t want drive, Tiger Club at Damyns Hall is super convenient depending on where you are. They’re all tail draggers I think, but fun options... Tiger Moths, Super Cubs and hot CAP10! Prices much much better than most London area places.

35 minutes from Liverpool Street, and then 5 minutes in a cab. Or cycle.

IF they 'allow' you to join.

paulo
30th Jan 2019, 19:22

Seemed very friendly when I visited to find out more about them. Hangar tour, lots of info about their aircraft.

possel
2nd Feb 2019, 16:52

So long as you have a valid pilot's licence, you can join; they just don't do ab-initio. The days of having to be nominated are long gone!

Duchess_Driver
2nd Feb 2019, 19:21
I’ll second The Odd Ones recommendation of The Pilot Centre at Denham - a 20 minute walk from the station from Marylebone.

A close second would would be a tie between Booker Aviation at Booker and WLAC at Waltham. WW easier to get to than Booker by public transport and is probably a good 45minute walk from Maidenhead mainline.

Fairoaks, Elstree, North Weald are nice places but a bit remote unless you drive.

rightbank
4th Feb 2019, 08:33
Fairoaks, Elstree, North Weald are nice places but a bit remote unless you drive.
North Weald is a short taxi ride from Epping underground station which is at the end of the Central line. If they will let you take a bike on the underground you could even cycle there.

Duchess_Driver
7th Feb 2019, 19:48
North Weald is a short taxi ride from Epping underground station

You’re correct - but sometimes getting a taxi back from the airfield is only marginally easier than nailing jelly to the ceiling.

alex90
8th Feb 2019, 07:28
So long as you have a valid pilot's licence, you can join; they just don't do ab-initio. The days of having to be nominated are long gone!

The Tiger Club does offer ab-initio training on their Piper Cubs, but it isn't their main focus. Ab-initio is also the only type of training that you actually need to pay for the instructor, all other training is entirely free to members, given by CRI/FI members for other members, something which I haven't heard of anywhere else.

I don't think The Tiger Club has been invitation only since the 90s, and I have found them very welcoming! :-)