PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav and new roads?

Uplinker
26th Jan 2019, 11:09
The (admittedly basic) Sat Nav on my phone does not ‘see’ the new A556 from the M6 J19 to Manchester Airport. When I drive on that new road, the Sat Nav shows me travelling across fields etc !!

Since the Sat Nav needs to refer to external data in order to work, why does the new road not appear? - it was opened about a year ago.

snchater
26th Jan 2019, 13:09
I had my BMW satnav database recently updated by my BMW dealer at a cost of £100.25.
The A556 M6-M56 link is not in the new database. The road has been open for 19 months!
BMW “customer service” were dismissive of my complaint.

Denti
26th Jan 2019, 20:48
I had actually the opposite happen. Driving across germany in a rental it consistently tried to route me via a piece of autobahn, which was not opened to the public yet. It was quite annoying to be honest. A way around that is of course using either google or apple maps, those seem to be a bit more up to date, and as they are downloaded during use they always have the newest data in their database.

AerocatS2A
27th Jan 2019, 00:41
The (admittedly basic) Sat Nav on my phone does not ‘see’ the new A556 from the M6 J19 to Manchester Airport. When I drive on that new road, the Sat Nav shows me travelling across fields etc !!

Since the Sat Nav needs to refer to external data in order to work, why does the new road not appear? - it was opened about a year ago.

The sat nav does not need external data. It needs a GPS position and an internal map database. The map can be several years out of date.

aterpster
27th Jan 2019, 13:19
I had my BMW satnav database recently updated by my BMW dealer at a cost of £100.25.
The A556 M6-M56 link is not in the new database. The road has been open for 19 months!
BMW “customer service” were dismissive of my complaint.
Typically, the auto manufacturers use a third party for the mapping software. In the case of Honda the third party vendor seems to less than responsive.

Denti
27th Jan 2019, 13:54
In the case of BMW they most probably use mapping data from HERE, although they do offer Google Maps as well in newer models. BMW; together with Audi and Mercedes owns about three quarters of that company, the rest is owned by Intel, Bosch, Continental and Pioneer. HERE was formerly known as Navteq, then Nokia Maps. Other companies probably buy their data from again others, there is only a relatively small number of companies providing that kind of data.

Uplinker
28th Jan 2019, 08:52
The sat nav does not need external data. It needs a GPS position and an internal map database. The map can be several years out of date.

That is what I originally assumed too. My Sat Nav works for a little while if I turn the phone data off, but then it gradually gets more and more confused and eventually grinds to a halt. Therefore my phone Sat Nav needs external data to work, hence my query about why the external data is not up to date.

(I cannot select the source of external data)

AerocatS2A
28th Jan 2019, 09:15
That is what I originally assumed too. My Sat Nav works for a little while if I turn the phone data off, but then it gradually gets more and more confused and eventually grinds to a halt. Therefore my phone Sat Nav needs external data to work, hence my query about why the external data is not up to date.

(I cannot select the source of external data)
Sorry, I missed that you were using a phone. Yes phone nav does tend to need external data in order to avoid using too much storage. If your phone sat nav app is out of date this just reflects that the source data is also out of date. Some companies are better than others at maintaining accurate data.