PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your airing cupboard?

NutLoose
22nd Jan 2019, 17:01
Sheets, clothes, a few hundred K LOL

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/soldier-hid-£260k-of-mod-money-in-his-airing-cupboard-and-forgot-about-it-for-four-months-court-martial-hears/ar-BBSAC4n?ocid=spartandhp

ex82watcher
22nd Jan 2019, 17:37
I have vague mememories as a 5-7 year old living in MQs at RAF Abingdon,early 1960s of accompanying my mother to collect freshly laundered sheets (with 3 dark-blue lines down the centre) from a laundry on the station.Is my memory playing tricks ?,or were these provided in those days when domestic washing machines were not so ubiquitous.

langleybaston
22nd Jan 2019, 19:52
Not so at RAF Nicosia 1961 4, but in Comet Crescent in almost all other respects "we never had it so good".

Rigga
22nd Jan 2019, 19:54
I'll give him a year to 18 months before promotion...

Lionel Lion
22nd Jan 2019, 20:14
That’s nothing I have a tank in mine!

old joke I know!

langleybaston
22nd Jan 2019, 20:22
Minor digression warning.

Back in the day, RAFG seemed well paid and perked, so that new cars and frequent holidays were the norm.
During one flap [cause forgotten] I stashed a very considerable wad of DM, thinly arrayed and wrapped, under the driver's foot mat.
And there it became forgotten [clearly surplus to requirements] until we bulled the car ready to upgrade yet again.
Those were the days when cash was king and we could mislay a large chunk.

I wonder what she spent it on?

falcon900
23rd Jan 2019, 09:24
It speaks volume for the quality of their accounting systems and processes. How come nobody noticed the £300k was missing from the safe?? Major Wilson is as culpable as WO2 Hodgkinson in my view.

Cows getting bigger
23rd Jan 2019, 09:39
He's probably counting himself lucky that Clare Balding had moved-out of his airing cupboard a couple of days earlier. Imagine the stink if she had found 300k of Royal Navy petty cash stuffed between the sheets.

mopardave
23rd Jan 2019, 09:49
Some defective heating controls.....what a time!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
23rd Jan 2019, 10:59
I have vague mememories as a 5-7 year old living in MQs at RAF Abingdon,early 1960s of accompanying my mother to collect freshly laundered sheets (with 3 dark-blue lines down the centre) from a laundry on the station.Is my memory playing tricks ?,or were these provided in those days when domestic washing machines were not so ubiquitous.

I recall back in the 1950's when the families club at Cranwell was taken over by Barrack Stores every Tuesday and Thursday for the purpose of exchanging bedding, light bulbs and issue of paper etc.
Yes, 3 blue lines down the centre of all bedding including blankets and of course the bolster case - remember those?

Aaron.

KenV
23rd Jan 2019, 14:35
So three hundred grand disappeared for months and no one noticed? But only the one guy got hammered for it?

sitigeltfel
23rd Jan 2019, 18:27
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnh162vqk4