PDA

View Full Version : Safety issues with instagramers

A320dude2
22nd Jan 2019, 07:31
Is it me or there's a real safety issue among pilots in general these days, if you see Instragram or other social medias, pilots (especially young one) publishing every day posts while they are working ?

AndoniP
22nd Jan 2019, 08:35
Is this yet another minor thing to get annoyed about? There's usually a Captain sitting next to them so the 20 seconds spent taking a photo really shouldn't be much of a safety issue should it.

OutsideCAS
22nd Jan 2019, 08:38
There's usually a Captain sitting next to them

Its the captain that A320dude2 is talking about :8

172_driver
22nd Jan 2019, 08:42
Probably you, and a small minority.

There is bigger fish to fry.

Livesinafield
22nd Jan 2019, 08:44
Well I don't really see an issue with it, depending on when the picture is taken, for example I really do not see an issue taking a picture sat in the cruise or at non critical times.

emma1
22nd Jan 2019, 08:50
No pictures below 10000 mate

AndoniP
22nd Jan 2019, 08:50
Its the captain that A320dude2 is talking about :8

He could, of course, link to an example photo so that we know what he's moaning about :suspect:

a350pilots
22nd Jan 2019, 08:56
In my company, electronic devices are only allowed at Captain discretion.
Captains should say more often no if it is not appropriate and lead by example.

Mora34
22nd Jan 2019, 08:58
He could, of course, link to an example photo so that we know what he's moaning about :suspect:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3890224/Pictured-stockings-BA-pilot-suspended-photos.html

AndoniP
22nd Jan 2019, 09:06
oh, a daily mail article.

ok so the guy is taking photos at FL380 or whatever. big deal. and he's a bit of a sexual deviant.

nothing to see here, move along! :E

ManaAdaSystem
22nd Jan 2019, 09:16
The use of social media at work is an issue. I’ve had pilots log on during ground operations.
Yes, I’m a captain and told them to log off and pay attention to the job, but I should not have to.
The new generation is used to be logged on and available the whole time.

Take a picture during cruise? No problem.

Reverserbucket
22nd Jan 2019, 11:18
The use of social media at work is an issue. I’ve had pilots log on during ground operations
Similar reports in recent CHIRP* Cabin Crew Feedback. Checking social media strapped in during taxi etc.
From a safety perspective, and bearing in mind that a number of 'instagrammers' are effectively running a business on the side - 'sponsored' eyewear, watches, jewellery, corporate lanyards, etc. as well as promoting themselves as members of the '#lookatme' generation, the opportunity to take the perfect selfie or capture just the right light for a shot of the throttle quadrant or HDG SEL knob should not be understated and may not necessarily coincide with the safe and expedient operation of the aircraft at that moment. Seriously, though, it's a distraction and unnecessary in my opinion but then I'm getting on a bit.

* UK Confidential Human factors Incident Reporting Programme for Aviation (& maritime)

CHIRP Cabin Crew FEEDBACK November 2018 (https://www.chirp.co.uk/upload/docs/Cabin%20Crew/CCFB%2067%20-%20Electronic.pdf)

lomapaseo
22nd Jan 2019, 11:39
If they were to scan PPrune while trouble shooting a problem, they could learn every little nuance of pro and con actions

Raffles S.A.
22nd Jan 2019, 19:51
Taking pictures when not sterile cockpit shouldn't be a problem, but some companies may not allow it. I don't do instagram, facebook or twitter however.

brak
22nd Jan 2019, 20:09
"The new generation is used to be logged on and available the whole time."
The guy in the article is 51 y/o.

Banana Joe
22nd Jan 2019, 20:57
Some airlines are marching on it as a marketing parade. Some of these pilots are even sponsored with hefty contracts. The blonde Swedish female pilot is a prime example.

Airbubba
22nd Jan 2019, 21:05
The blonde Swedish female pilot is a prime example.

There are actually several blonde Swedish pilots on Instagram.

Here are a few:

Swedish Pilots Share Striking Photos: Backlash Follows (http://hyperactivz.com/the-skys-the-limit-stunning-swedish-pilots-strike-a-pose/)

FlightDetent
22nd Jan 2019, 21:36
Agree that taking pictures is not a problem. Staying connected OTOH is not conductive to a dutiful execution of the job. Observed that on one's self, just with the family and colleague pilots' group on WhatsApp, and private/comp. email. Not even against a real, hard-core "social" network that is proffesionally designed to draw attention (FB, TWT).

wiedehopf
22nd Jan 2019, 22:43
Agree that taking pictures is not a problem. Staying connected OTOH is not conductive to a dutiful execution of the job. Observed that on one's self, just with the family and colleague pilots' group on WhatsApp, and private/comp. email. Not even against a real, hard-core "social" network that is proffesionally designed to draw attention (FB, TWT).
Are you saying they should have used "Airplane mode"? Don't be ridiculous now!

delarue
23rd Jan 2019, 00:24
I really do not see an issue taking a picture sat in the cruise or at non critical times.

The RAF does.

www.skybrary.aero/index.php/A332_MRTT,_en-route,_south_eastern_Black_Sea,_2014

FlightDetent
23rd Jan 2019, 00:59
😊 not sure how much irony I missed there. For the record, as we have no connectivity when airborne, I am speaking of ground-time.

After sign-on perhaps, more so after the crew bus. Idea of the airplane mode is ridiculous but data off maybe? It makes for a more serene and focused day out, anytime the smartphone is left home accidentally. Just a self-observation.

Oriana
23rd Jan 2019, 01:34
Sharing the cockpit with complete narcissists is a real joy.:ugh:

wiedehopf
23rd Jan 2019, 08:25
After sign-on perhaps, more so after the crew bus. Idea of the airplane mode is ridiculous but data off maybe? It makes for a more serene and focused day out, anytime the smartphone is left home accidentally. Just a self-observation.

Good bit of irony on my post yeah.
But Airplane Mode on Android cuts of Wifi and Cellular Data. So i was basically suggesting the same as you, i just found the feature so aptly named even if my purpose was not to avoid electromagnetic interference (That's why airplane mode was originally created i'd say)

And who says you have no connectivity when airborne, there is a BA long haul pilot using onboard WiFi to tweet while he has his rest period.

4engines4longhaul
23rd Jan 2019, 08:33
Perhaps a bigger concern with onboard connectivity is what happens when a pilot gets an email or similiar to tell him of a serious family issue ? Perhaps wifey telling him that their young child has been rushed into hospital and to get home asap. Or maybe a death in the family. The potential list is endless.

It might be safe to say that said pilot is effectively incapacitated, or at the very least not in a good place.

just a thought

Epsomdog
23rd Jan 2019, 11:23
Couple of years ago, I was a flying spanner on a charter flight into GNB. The young first officer gave me his phone and asked me to film his approach and landing, making sure I got a shot of his face, and epaulets. This I did from the jump seat. I couldn’t resist giving the phone a wobble, on touchdown. There’s no way he could have called that one of his “greased” landings!

flash8
23rd Jan 2019, 18:03
Even back in 2005 we were taking selfies up front with a Sony 2 MP camera phone... and putting them on photo sites. At that time, pre social media, nobody made any fuss, it caused no harm and was only ever done in the cruise. I have quite a few great photos of myself over Kazakhstan... great days. Whipping the camera out after tod though was a huge no no.

AndoniP
24th Jan 2019, 05:59
I don't think it's so much being connected at the time.

The vast majority of Instagram photos I see are taken offline and uploaded on the ground.

Being online I would say is more to read email and communicate with people. The uploading of photos is something that's done afterwards, once the user has time to add filter and effects to the photos...

Herod
24th Jan 2019, 09:11
OK, so I'm a crusty old has-been, but one of the upsides of flying was the chance to be disconnected from the everyday world. Once up there, the bank-manager, angry girlfriend, even angrier wife, assorted advertisers etc couldn't contact you. A few hours of peace.