PDA

View Full Version : Qantas 737 to Fiji

Hold_Short
21st Jan 2019, 00:21
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-says-bula-to-fiji-with-direct-flights-from-sydney/

A new destination for the 737 guys which is a fantastic news however does anyone know if they will palm it off to Jetconnect crew or keep it in-house?

goodonyamate
21st Jan 2019, 00:57
Mainline crew.

patty50
21st Jan 2019, 01:03
It’s a day flight so I’m hoping mainline doesn’t lose even more domestic flying. Sat/Sun always plenty of planes laying around, Tuesday is quiet too but Friday is normally all hands on deck so what is being cut. Especially since 737s are taking over more A330 flights the fleet must be getting nightly stretched.

Can it make it full both ways? MEL-DPS goes out with 50 seats blocked and probably why SYD-DPS is A330 for summer. At least Jetstar fills their flights.

hotnhigh
21st Jan 2019, 01:18
Tuesday is quiet too but Friday is normally all hands on deck so what is being cut
might want to look at the brisbane cairns services. Just about all 717s. Throw in Townsville, it’s no wonder the brisbane 737 base is being reduced.

wheels_down
21st Jan 2019, 02:08
Virgin run A330s on the route so no doubt Alan wants his piece of the pie also.

Can it make it full both ways? MEL-DPS goes out with 50 seats blocked and probably why SYD-DPS is A330 for summer.
Sounds like a good route for the -8 Max. Hold on, that’s the one someone forgot to order right?

Rated De
21st Jan 2019, 02:33
Interesting.
A quick check now shows that Qantas have levered back routes previously gifted to Jetstar.

Hamilton Island
Bali
Gold Coast
Ayers Rock, at least from Adelaide.

Whilst Bruce Buchanan and Carla would often veto where Qantas flew, it appears that simple economics will dictate what a market supports. No longer is ideology driving decisions on a few routes. JQ may well 'fill their seats' they also have a fleet advantage: the 788 can do that sector length with full payload and sufficient fuel uplift to cover contingency. That the QF Bali service flies with seats blocked out is not necessarily demand related, rather that the aircraft is stretched on a route that long and requires a trade off in uplifted payload in order to carry required fuel. Perhaps this is the reason why VAH fly the A330; full payload is available on a sector length like that.

Imagine what QF could achieve if in the last decade they had actually planned and executed a fleet replacement strategy?

warrior92
21st Jan 2019, 02:56
VA run 737 daily MEL-NAN... no seats blocked.
peak days could see the 330

porch monkey
21st Jan 2019, 05:15
VA never used the 330 to Bali, unless it was as a recovery strategy, and even then I don't recall it happening. NAN is very occasionally used, although I can't recall the last...... VA did MEL DPS most of the year no seat blocking, in the initial startup there was certainly seat blocking, but in most cases the 737-800 will do it no probs, with alternate. we did accasionally use reclearance plans. I've certainly never flown a NAN with active seat blocking. The biggest issue for VA MEL-NAN is usually duty time. After you factor in Island Time in Fiji for the turnaround, less than optimum pax handling, it quite often required extension of duty. Dunno what QF's rules are, so don't know how that affects them. Haven't done NAN for a bit, think it is usually done with an overnight now.

Beer Baron
21st Jan 2019, 06:13
Can it make it full both ways? MEL-DPS goes out with 50 seats blocked and probably why SYD-DPS is A330 for summer.
50 blocked out seats??? Try 12.
And SYD-NAN is about 600 miles shorter than MEL-DPS so they’ll make it just fine.

The 330 is doing SYD-DPS because we don’t have enough 737 pilots.

SHVC
21st Jan 2019, 06:45
VA 330 to Nadi, last time I seen it there was last Saturday.

patty50
21st Jan 2019, 07:48
Virgin flies A330s to Fiji every Saturday from Sydney, the belly is always chockers with freight.

What good would Qantas having 788s to Bali be if they can’t fill 737s?

50 blocked out seats??? Try 12.

Just going by a look on the staff travel site at this afternoons one which is usually pretty accurate...check tomorrows. It does look pretty windy if one is headed that way tonight.
I personally did a Sydney to Bali with 30 seats blocked off.

Beer Baron
21st Jan 2019, 09:28
I personally did a Sydney to Bali with 30 seats blocked off.
As in, you were the operating tech crew?

I’ve operated many SYD-DPS sectors on the 738 and we never blocked out that many seats. MEL-DPS is shorter again.
I don’t know if staff travel is the best place to get the info from, try the Route Manual Supplement.

Hold_Short
21st Jan 2019, 11:25
Flew Jetstar NAN-SYD a few months back. Tech crew did an overnight but the cabin crew do the return. Hope I get the a Tuesday duty and then score 3 night stay. Plenty of time for fishing.

Sparrows.
21st Jan 2019, 22:30
Flew Jetstar NAN-SYD a few months back. Tech crew did an overnight but the cabin crew do the return. Hope I get the a Tuesday duty and then score 3 night stay. Plenty of time for fishing.

Tech crew operate CHC-SYD-NAN, then the reverse on the way home. Flight attendants use to do the same, changed last year to the crew doing a return out of Sydney.

Transition Layer
21st Jan 2019, 23:25
I’m sorry to burst the bubble, but I’m pretty sure this will be a day return with an 11hr tour of duty. 0930 sign on, 2030 sign off. I hope I’m wrong though.

Ollie Onion
21st Jan 2019, 23:35
The Tech Crew on Jetstar only get off in Nadi as they originate in NZCH, the cabin crew get on in YSSY and do a return.

Wonderworld
22nd Jan 2019, 09:55
Last time I flew QF to NAN it was a 742 funjet flight. Things were so much better then!

Octane
22nd Jan 2019, 14:10
I flew MLB-DPS and back with VA many times (until the Tiger debacle and subsequent loss of slots.) on the 738. Never saw seats blocked off..

VH-ABC
27th Jan 2019, 06:33
‘Seats blocked off...’ doesn’t mean physically ‘blocked off’ with a rope or something... you get that don’t you Octane?

coaldemon
27th Jan 2019, 07:25
Seats were blocked off in the GDS for DPS with VA. No notice to the Pilots unless in the Route Guide