PDA

View Full Version : Algoa - Good Hope - Stellenbosch???

Backontrack
1st Aug 2002, 10:53
I've don emy research, I've searched the archives, but I need some last minute advice/guideance from those that have done it, got the T-shirt etc etc.

The three named flight schools in South Africa are my narrowed down choices for some hour building in October this year. I need some feedback around the lines of best environment, best atmosphere, other things to do around the area/base etc. I am dragging my partner along too, so she needs to know that we can have a life outside of the flying school as well.

Any constructive feedback would be highly appreciated as I need to get it booked ASAP.

Thanks

MVE
1st Aug 2002, 11:36
Backontrack,
I have just returned from Progress Flight Academy who are based about 30kms down the road from PE airport (where Algoa are based) and can recommend Port Elizabeth as a place to fly.
Algoa Flying Club have an excellent clubhouse, reasonable rates and aircraft.
A word of warning though, if your time is limited, get a guarantee that the aircraft will be available for the time that you want it.
My 12 weeks at Progress turned into 17 weeks due to weather and aircraft availability problems.
Those that say don't go outside of the UK to learn to fly due to the weather being too good, have never tried flying in the SA winter! It's just like the UK but with more cloud and rain and wind!

If you are time limited I would suggest you choose a base inland, there are plenty of schools in the Joburg area which has great weather but then you have high temps and high elevations to contend with. Somewhere between the two would be ideal. Any of the schools on the coast ie 43, Progress, Algoa, FTC Goerge, Cape etc all suffer from cold frontal weather on the coast at this time of year.

All that said, if you want UK type weather to fly in but at rates of approx' 40 pounds an hour for a c150, 45 pounds warrior or 50 pounds for a complex single and roughly 150 pounds for a seneca 3 (wet rates!) then the SA coast is the place to go! Drop me an email if you want any further info.
;)