PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pilots Flying in Canada, please advise.

Ilyushin76
19th Jan 2019, 09:26
I am considering moving to Canada on a PR Visa. I have 800 hours TT (mostly on EFIS jets). I do know the first step would be to convert my license. Having done that, could anyone suggest what job I could find with this experience? (The idea is to get my counter started in the Canadian market - equipment progression is not a priority at this time).

Thanks in advance. :)

Professional Amateur
19th Jan 2019, 20:28
From what country? What licences, ratings, enorsements etc?

I'm doing it now from an aus cpl....

rigpiggy
20th Jan 2019, 02:24
800 hrs in canada is a very junior pilot. You may get a king air or dash FO position.

Ilyushin76
20th Jan 2019, 05:04
800 hrs in canada is a very junior pilot. You may get a king air or dash FO position.

Like I said, the aircraft does not matter to me at this time as I know my total time is quite less.

How difficult is it to secure positions on the King and Dash though ?

Darthkader
20th Jan 2019, 15:00
There's a lot of job opportunities if you have above 750TT and IATRA or ATPLS written. You can take a quick look on Pilot Career Center.

Ilyushin76
20th Jan 2019, 16:15
There's a lot of job opportunities if you have above 750TT and IATRA or ATPLS written. You can take a quick look on Pilot Career Center.

Thank you. Wilco :cool:

digits_
24th Jan 2019, 16:26
500 TT gets you in a medevac plane as an FO at most Manitoba operators. You'll hate your life after a few months do, but it will get you flying hours.

Messerschmitt
24th Jan 2019, 23:00
500 TT gets you in a medevac plane as an FO at most Manitoba operators. You'll hate your life after a few months do, but it will get you flying hours.

Flying what kind of turboprops? What do they average a year?

rigpiggy
25th Jan 2019, 03:31
The medevacs in canada are almost all KA200/350's. Some 1900 for bariatric patients. Figure on 4-600 hrs a year. Go
to pcc find out where the companies are, and there bases then check distances to one of the canadian big 9 yvr, yeg,yyc,yxe,ywg,yyz, yow, yul, yhz, and yyt where most big hospitals are.

PJ_Slick
25th Jan 2019, 21:03
800 hours get you on at Encore (WestJets Q400 regional) now and probably most other large prop operators. 1500-2000 will get you right seat 737 at Swoop,Flair,etc.
The Canadian aviation market has drastically shifted over the past 5 years, enjoy

digits_
27th Jan 2019, 20:08
Flying what kind of turboprops? What do they average a year?

Metro and King Air are very common in Manitoba. Ontario commonly uses PC12, but I don't know the requirements for them.
You'll fly around 500 hours/year. FO salary usually around 35k - 40k.

ATPL and 500 multi PIC and you'll be a captain at those places. But beware, that's only because nobody wants to do it, and for good reasons.

Ilyushin76
28th Jan 2019, 11:57
A bit of correction to my original post, my experience is 500 plus hours on Jets, not turboprops. My apologies for the mistake. I don't know why I did not check it earlier. The grand total is 800 hours plus.

Ilyushin76
28th Jan 2019, 12:06
Thank you for your reply sir. Can you check your inbox? :)

digits_
28th Jan 2019, 17:23
Thank you for your reply sir. Can you check your inbox? :)

Hi Ilyushin76,

I'll reply here since the answers could benefit others in your situation. First officer/co-pilot hours are not PIC / Pilot in Command hours. They do count towards your total time (TT).

Most people don't like medevac, because you are basically on call for 24 hours for about 7 days straight. You can be called in to fly in the middle of the night or the middle of the day. You don't know when or where. A lot of people get very tired of this, in every sense of the word.

Regional airlines are hiring as well. Some have low hour requirements, others a bit higher. Depends. No guarantee you will get in there with your experience. You might, but not guaranteed. A medevac FO position is almost "guaranteed", as nobody wants to do it. To get a Canadian ATPL, you will need a certain amount of PIC hours, for which hours in the right seat don't count. Some companies offer a pilot in command under supervision (PICUS) program to achieve those hours, but it might be hard to get, depending on the company.

At the moment, chances are pretty good to find a job if you convert your license and have a PR card. But it might not be the flying you are used to. I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on your jet time, as it is irrelevant for a lot of entry level jobs in Canada. It could possibly work against you, because some operators would assume that an airline pilot does not truly want to fly medevac or fly in northern canada etc.

Good luck!

Ilyushin76
28th Jan 2019, 20:49
Hi Ilyushin76,

I'll reply here since the answers could benefit others in your situation. First officer/co-pilot hours are not PIC / Pilot in Command hours. They do count towards your total time (TT).

Most people don't like medevac, because you are basically on call for 24 hours for about 7 days straight. You can be called in to fly in the middle of the night or the middle of the day. You don't know when or where. A lot of people get very tired of this, in every sense of the word.

Regional airlines are hiring as well. Some have low hour requirements, others a bit higher. Depends. No guarantee you will get in there with your experience. You might, but not guaranteed. A medevac FO position is almost "guaranteed", as nobody wants to do it. To get a Canadian ATPL, you will need a certain amount of PIC hours, for which hours in the right seat don't count. Some companies offer a pilot in command under supervision (PICUS) program to achieve those hours, but it might be hard to get, depending on the company.

At the moment, chances are pretty good to find a job if you convert your license and have a PR card. But it might not be the flying you are used to. I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on your jet time, as it is irrelevant for a lot of entry level jobs in Canada. It could possibly work against you, because some operators would assume that an airline pilot does not truly want to fly medevac or fly in northern canada etc.

Good luck!

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Jet hours are all I have at this time. Turboprops arent readily available where I come from so I will have to try my luck when the time comes. The way I see it, its the medevacs for me tikl I get an ATPL atleast.

The medevac schedule reminds me of my previous employer though :D.

Haywire
1st Feb 2019, 10:54
Hi there,
What are the odds of someone with an ICAO ME CPL and a European passport, 3000hrs + getting a gig in Canada? I’d love to fly float planes but don’t have the opportunity where I live. I’d be prepared to work as a dock hand and build my way up.

Maybe even eventually look at settling in Canada.
Problem is, I can’t seem to get anything more than a 1 year visa.

Thanks

ELEC EMERG
6th Feb 2019, 02:26
Hi guys!
Im hopping you could give me a hand on some questions!
Im considering moving to Canada, with a Permanent Visa. But I don’t have a clue what the aviation market is like up there!
im currently working on an airline in Brazil and flying the A330. My TT is 2500+ and I only have a Frozen ATPL and a degree on Aviation.
If you guys could give some tips, I would be very much appreciated!!!

Ilyushin76
6th Feb 2019, 08:36
Hi guys!
Im hopping you could give me a hand on some questions!
Im considering moving to Canada, with a Permanent Visa. But I don’t have a clue what the aviation market is like up there!
im currently working on an airline in Brazil and flying the A330. My TT is 2500+ and I only have a Frozen ATPL and a degree on Aviation.
If you guys could give some tips, I would be very much appreciated!!!

Welcome to the club Capt.
Same scenario , lesser hours though :)