PDA

View Full Version : Russia and China leave the US behind in world war of weapon supremacy

Lyneham Lad
17th Jan 2019, 16:55
An article in The times this evening.

Russia and China leave the US behind in world war of weapon supremacy (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russia-and-china-leave-the-us-behind-in-world-war-of-weapon-supremacy-w0hv6h73d?shareToken=bf4acc394b2c9858754ab2b99a616da7)

The launch today by President Trump of the Pentagon’s vision for a space-based ballistic missile defence system is America’s answer to the growing threat posed by a new generation of exotic weapons developed by Russia and China.

Asturias56
17th Jan 2019, 17:12
The article says that in a conventional war they wouldn't stand a chance and would be wiped out. So why the panic?

big r&d contractsi guess

SASless
17th Jan 2019, 20:45
It's a trap....we will let them come ashore and then as a former enemy once said...."There will a Rifle behind every tree!" unless the Leftie Gun Grabbers have their way.

T28B
17th Jan 2019, 20:54
Is this a re-do of SDI / Star Wars idea from the 1980's?
... a space-based ballistic missile defence system is America’s answer to the growing threat posed by a new generation of exotic weapons developed by Russia and China.

Melchett01
17th Jan 2019, 21:24
Is this a re-do of SDI / Star Wars idea from the 1980's?

I suspect it ties in with POTUS’ creation of a Space Force. I always thought that space was prohibited from weaponisation, but I guess that horse has bolted, if nothing else in terms of space being a key enabler for all sorts of military capabilities as well as a key section of most ballistic missile profiles. Even without directly putting weapons into space, that’s something you need to be able to deal with and I’m guessing that means a defensive capability to engage missiles in their exo-atmospheric phase and ground based interceptors either mopping up or being that last line of defence. Unfortunately, given POTUS rather agricultural style, his announcement of a space force was only going to be taken less than seriously, despite it now being a key battle ground. That said, I loved the idea of being a Space Shuttle door gunner!

TURIN
17th Jan 2019, 23:14
So now we know what this thing has been up to...

X37B (https://spacenews.com/spacex-will-launch-next-secret-x-37-air-force-mission/)

Mk 1
18th Jan 2019, 00:52
Don't believe all the hype the media swallows hook line and sinker.