PDA

View Full Version : Can you have too many employers on your CV

Dont worry
17th Jan 2019, 06:49
Hi guys,
I was just wondering, as we do work in a alternating sector of aviation, if you possibly could have too many employers on your CV.
The reason, I am asking is that I just got layed off of my previous job after 7 month because the boss out of a sudden decided to sell 1 of his planes with immediate effect.
Now I am in the situation to decide, to work for a company I really dont like from the payment point of few and also the reputation is not the best, just as long as i find something better. Maybe 2-5 Month, and then quit there and go somewhere else. But I am not that kind of person. Personally I dont like hopping on and off.
I had 9 different employers so far in the last 16 years due to all kind of situations. Mostly the airplanes got sold or the employers did not stick to the contract, or the downturn in 2009.......
What is your impression about this?
Does anybody care how many positions you have on your CV or is it just good experience.
Thank you.

what next
17th Jan 2019, 11:52
Hello!

Does anybody care how many positions you have on your CV or is it just good experience.

I think there are two kinds of employers:
The first is the kind who is impressed by the "great experience" of someone with many entires in his CV and who is still willing to work for the poor conditions the offer him. Some years ago one of our management staff hired a guy explicitly for that reason: "Look! We just found someone who by his experience should long be training captain with a major airline but still wants to join us as FO. Isn't that great?" As long as people like that can take their own decisions there can't be too many entries in one's CV.
The second kind are the more cautious ones who will ask questions about that CV: Is he a troublemaker? Someone difficult to work with? Incompetent?
But also this kind of employer may hire someone with an "interesting" CV if there are good answers to his skektical questions. We all know that it is usually the guy who joined last that has to leave first in difficult times (also due to the employment legislation in my part of the world) which means that even good and motivated people can get handed from company to company in times of downturn even if they did a good job everywhere.

What is your impression about this?

Unfortunately my personal experience (and therefore impression) with colleagues who had many previous employers has generally been rather bad. The reason why they moved from company to company in rapid succession usually became apparent after the first couple of sectors flown togeter. Either very substandard flying skills or an immediate unwillingness to perform the duties outside actually flying the aircraft which are part of corporate aviation. And worst of all was a guy who report sick every time he did not get the days off that he requested - already in the first month after joining the company. None of those made it through the six month legal probation period ,thereby adding another 4-month employment to their long CV...
But there have been positive exceptions too and therefore, if asked for my opinion, I would not immediately refuse to talk to someone with many previous employers.

Regards
Max

NB: In my part of the world it is considered an absolute no-go to talk badly about previous employers during a job interview! (Because they will rightly assume that you will talk the same way about them in your next interview). Therefore be very diplomatic when giving reasons for leaving previous employments. And keep in mind that they are (at least in part) networking between them.

3wheels
5th Feb 2019, 02:07
Same could also apply to people with “too many” different type ratings.
One has to ask “ Why so many”...

Klimax
5th Feb 2019, 04:05

Good one.. That´s funny.

AMEX
5th Feb 2019, 17:33

Really ?
How many is too many ? Is not depending on who you worked for and how long you have been doing this job ?
Can't imagine it to be a very hard position to defend...