PDA

View Full Version : ATPL advice, full time or distance

GoProPilot
16th Jan 2019, 20:47
Hi Guys need advice from both parties please, full time classroom guys and distance, but full time.

I am finishing an Aircraft Engineering degree in June and have completed, passed all EASA B1.1 engineering modules.

Option 1 ) I live in the south of UK and FTA Shoreham is near me. I was thinking of full time ATPL, course is £4200, doesn't inc exams as far as i'm aware so 70*14= 980 looking at £5,200 and 6 months. I wont pay accommodation as parent has reluctantly accepted me back after having me away for four years!

Option 2) Live at home, full time distance learning with Bristol.

My main question is: Given that results are quite important to airlines and that I have forgotten most PPL ground school as that was 7 years ago, would you recommend full time class or distance full time..

I have listed below the engineering exams, please say if you think they cross over/should breeze them, I am thinking I might be quicker in modular if there is plenty of overlap. however torn between the safety net of full time class and getting higher exam results. Do instructors in full time theory wizz over parts that are not usually common exam questions and focus on material that is likely to come up?

M1 Maths

M2 Physics

M3 Electrical Fundamentals Topics include generation of electricity, magnetism, generators, transformers and motors.

M4 Electronic Fundamentals

M5 Digital techniques EFIS NAV GPS etc including electronic instrument systems, logic circuits, fibre optics and digital aircraft systems

M6 Materials and Hardware

M7 Maintenance Practices

M8 Aerodynamics

M9 Human Factors

M10 Aviation Legislation

M11* Aeroplanes, Aerodynamics, Structures & Systems (Theory of flight, airframe structures, air conditioning,hydraulic, instruments, power, lights, and on-board maintenance systems

M15* Gas Turbine Engines

M17 Propellers

paco
17th Jan 2019, 07:41
You have to be committed with full time as well (just because you're listening, doesn't mean to say it's sinking in - you still have to do the work), so you may as well save the money and put it towards flying hours. If the notes have been written properly you shouldn't need anything else. The only real reason not to study at home is domestics, when there is always something urgent that needs doing now :) so you need to get away from the distractions, but it doesn't seem like you will have that problem.

GoProPilot
17th Jan 2019, 20:45
Hey guys thanks for your reply,

AA5: I found the B1 modules tough but passed all first time inc essays, I did work so very hard though, no social life etc, new grey hairs formed! you know what I mean haha. I was full time in the class though, two years part 147 course.. I dont think id have first time passes learning that stuff distance, I mean mod 4 :ugh:

I dont know how much money ill really save, its £2300 + 1600 (est) for accom and food,fuel for the faffing about revision days. so essentially £4k too.

I have no idea what notes FTA use and if they use BGS question bank because it seems everyone who does gets good results... I dont wana pay £4k to shoreham for some poor notes and weird question bank and then have to double the amount of work by downloading BGS question bank too.

PS, I know bit of effort but what order of difficulty did you find the exams? I've managed to get hold of a set of Oxford ATPL PDFs and going to start brushing through them to get an idea. I guess after M15, engines should be fairly easy atleast!

Has anyone done full time distance ground school and in less than 6 months?

PACO: sound advice, i'm pretty disciplined but equally drained after sitting 17 EASA B1s :rolleyes:

byrondaf
20th Jan 2019, 08:25
GoProPilot, I had the same dilemma a few years back, full time or distance learning ATPL, so I'll offer my two pence. (also considered FTA a few years back)

I did mine distance learning whilst holding down a full time job and I would do it again if I had to. Yes it was hard work and required a lot more self discipline than a full time course, however having that pay cheque come in every month and not be under any financial pressure was the key for me. I worked out when the brush ups were held, broke the exams down into 4 sittings to reduce the workload and set my own course schedule. I completed all the exams first time in 8 months with good pass scores and found that just breaking it down into those smaller sittings worked wonders. I used CATS in Luton (although back then they did brush ups at Gatwick as I was south London based) and I think I spent about £2500 in total.

I'd definitely say whatever route you choose, but especially with distance learning, use all available resources. I used the schools notes, BGS question bank and a couple of Oxford ATPL CD's for the trickier subjects (massive help). Some of the guys I met at CTC found it tough doing 2 sittings of 7 exams, especially trying to cram all the stuff in last minute just before exams and a fair number of them failed at least 1. I'm not saying that means anything, just feedback from those that did full time.

Difficulty-wise, I'd say it's more just sheer volume of information. In my opinion the hardest were Gen Nav, Air Law, Met and AGK (just for volume), easiest were IFR/VFR Comms, Human Fact, Ops Proc and Flight Planning. Ironically my best results were for the hardest ones.

Over those 8 months whilst I was still working, ok I spent £2500 on a distance learning course, but the 8 pay cheques I received whilst doing them meant I was about £25k up!

Hope this helps and best of luck.